EU death of the Sportster

See now I couldnt agree less, we have a 1985 fxr my son a 10 year old dyna, put either of them against a friends brand new fatbob and the quality of the new bike is noticably worse than the older ones, just the quality of the casting on cast parts and the fact that a large number of the parts that were metal are now just "chrome" plastic and look like it. Over the years I have have had a number of harleys as I say still have one but I have had at least 2 new ones, I was in at riders and really disappointed in that there was not one in the shop I would have wanted to walk out of the shop owning, I would go sofar as to say that I actively disliked a lot of them. I think there is a problem with the range and that the people who did buy them are not any longer.

I tend to agree....none of the new range float my boat...

See now I couldnt agree less, we have a 1985 fxr my son a 10 year old dyna, put either of them against a friends brand new fatbob and the quality of the new bike is noticably worse than the older ones, just the quality of the casting on cast parts and the fact that a large number of the parts that were metal are now just "chrome" plastic and look like it. Over the years I have have had a number of harleys as I say still have one but I have had at least 2 new ones, I was in at riders and really disappointed in that there was not one in the shop I would have wanted to walk out of the shop owning, I would go sofar as to say that I actively disliked a lot of them. I think there is a problem with the range and that the people who did buy them are not any longer.

To be fair I can't argue with any of that.

The component and build quality of my 1997 Sportster was streets ahead of the competition at the time. I think I should have said that the build quality is similar to, or better than, current Triumph and BMW etc.

Much as you dislike chromed plastic where you'd prefer chromed metal, the former will be lighter, less expensive to manufacture, likely easier to manufacture within environmental constraints and I can guarantee it won't rust! I too dislike chromed plastic, but I understand why it's there.

I suspect you dislike the current range in the same way I disliked the fuel injected Sportsters when they appeared; they felt like a hollow imitation of a "proper" Sportster. However having ridden both the previous and current range of Softails, the dynamic improvements of the current range are such that it might tempt back to the brand, and like it or not, that may well be what HD need.

T.... However having ridden both the previous and current range of Softails, the dynamic improvements of the current range are such that it might tempt back to the brand, and like it or not, that may well be what HD need.

Unfortunately, all those “improvements” have removed the essential differences between them and the generic Japanese cruisers...

Unfortunately, all those “improvements” have removed the essential differences between them and the generic Japanese cruisers...

Quite possibly.

I've not ridden any of the modern Japanese cruisers so I bow to your greater knowledge.

I did a 1000 miles in three days back in January on an M8 107 street glide - it was a pleasant ride but I prefer the drama and circus of my Evo...

I have a 2020 Triumph for my “modern” bike...

To be fair I can't argue with any of that.

The component and build quality of my 1997 Sportster was streets ahead of the competition at the time. I think I should have said that the build quality is similar to, or better than, current Triumph and BMW etc.

Much as you dislike chromed plastic where you'd prefer chromed metal, the former will be lighter, less expensive to manufacture, likely easier to manufacture within environmental constraints and I can guarantee it won't rust! I too dislike chromed plastic, but I understand why it's there.

I suspect you dislike the current range in the same way I disliked the fuel injected Sportsters when they appeared; they felt like a hollow imitation of a "proper" Sportster. However having ridden both the previous and current range of Softails, the dynamic improvements of the current range are such that it might tempt back to the brand, and like it or not, that may well be what HD need.

lots of good points. However the problem is still that the only new bikes I have every bought have been harleys, same for son, I have bought and sold other stuff but brand spanking Harley and buell the problem is that there are a lot of ME's out there, i.e. those who used to buy new harleys, but not any more because they dont feel the new ones are worth spending the money on.

To be fair I dont just think its the bikes, it is other stuff as well, but it starts with looking at the current model range.

Just out of curiosity, I'm test riding an Indian Chieftain next week.(weather permitting) I'm looking forward to it but they are nowhere near as big "in the flesh" as they look in photo's, same as H-D in this respect. They must get midgets to ride them for photo shoots! :rolleyes:
Also their new Challenger looks a nice bit of kit, i'll see if they have got one of those as well. :blast

Just out of curiosity, I'm test riding an Indian Chieftain next week.(weather permitting) I'm looking forward to it but they are nowhere near as big "in the flesh" as they look in photo's, same as H-D in this respect. They must get midgets to ride them for photo shoots! :rolleyes:
Also their new Challenger looks a nice bit of kit, i'll see if they have got one of those as well. :blast

You going to the dealership at Stourport Si?

You going to the dealership at Stourport Si?

Either them or Krazy Horse at Chipping Norton (both equidistant from me). I'll probably go Krazy Horse weather permitting (which I don't think it will next week) as it's a nicer ride.:thumb

And I bet you would not know what had happened till it was over...

The Indian Challenger looks pretty funky

Now then. I am going to argue with that, because I have a 2018 114" Softail Fat Bob, and previously had a Dyna Fat Bob.

Without walking out to the garage right now, I can't think of a single piece of "chrome plastic" on the bike. But then there's almost no chrome on it anyway other than the pushrod tubes and lifter covers - which definitely aren't plastic. There's very little plastic on the bike at all and the bits that are seem pretty good. The only exception to that is the little bit that covers that ABS unit below the RHS side cover. That has stupid little clips on it to hold it on rather than screws.

Cast parts - can't say I have noticed any issues and I have had it fairly significantly stripped down at times. Some of the frame welding could be more elegant - but it's brutalist rather than bad.

I'd say it's actually a better built bike than my 2014 Dyna. And that was one solid motorcycle.

I also have a 1980 Wide Glide shovel head - and the quality of parts on that bike are way worse than on the 2018 bike. The 40 year newer bike is way better built.

What I don't like is that all of the metal parts of the braking system (banjos, manifolds etc...) seem to corrode easily on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom