Gear change and Clutch noise

Dunblane56

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2012 BMW 1200 GSA, in the last month or two it has started to develop strange noises from both the gear changes and the clutch.
Essentially when i change up a gear i am getting much more clanking and crunching than ever before ( and turning the music up does not make it any better),changing down does not seem to be effected at the moment, as long as i blip the throttle a little .
When i pull the clutch lever in to change gear all seems fine but right at the end of letting the clutch lever out i am getting a sharp clunking noise from somewhere around the gearbox / clutch area.
The end clutch noise is not replicated with the clutch lever if the bike is on the strand with or without the engine running.

Any one got any ideas what the **** is going on ...or falling off

Laurence

Mileage?
Service history?
drive shaft?
handguard fouling clutch lever?
Gremlins?

Mileage? 29000
Service history? ...............................Serviced by self since purchase in 2014 but all checks according to BMW
drive shaft? .....................................Removed and serviced about year ago
handguard fouling clutch lever? ..........Dont get clutch clank when bike on stand engine running or not
Gremlins?
..........................Had a look but can not find any

Hi all,
I have a 2012 BMW 1200 GSA, in the last month or two it has started to develop strange noises from both the gear changes and the clutch.
Essentially when i change up a gear i am getting much more clanking and crunching than ever before ( and turning the music up does not make it any better),changing down does not seem to be effected at the moment, as long as i blip the throttle a little .
When i pull the clutch lever in to change gear all seems fine but right at the end of letting the clutch lever out i am getting a sharp clunking noise from somewhere around the gearbox / clutch area.
The end clutch noise is not replicated with the clutch lever if the bike is on the strand with or without the engine running.

Any one got any ideas what the **** is going on ...or falling off

Laurence

Hi Laurence,

You getting any strange whining noises whilst riding or is it just these noises as you describe. Do you know if the final drive has every been touched/rebuilt any mention in the documents with the bike? Any play on the rear wheel?

The gearboxes are pretty agricultural if your coming from say a Japanese make but they are great, i love the positive clunk you get off them i think they are nice once used to them.

Im sure some more knowlegable people will be on to guide you soon.

Pres direct issue. Common

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Actually there has always been a small whining noise from the rear but there is no play in wheel and the oil is now changed every year and never had any bits in drained oil
No sign of the Diff being repaired
Strange because this only started a couple of months ago, up till then it was fine.

I put it on the main stand last night after getting home and while it was hot, operated the clutch lever and there is definitely some clanking noise from the back of the engine when clutch lever is nearing the end of its travel , maybe the clutch actuator unit or how it presses the clutch
Not had time to read up on how this works but will look later today

Ah-hem, they all do that Sir!

Seriously, my 2012 does the same when going into first and has, as long I can remember, always done it. I put it down to noise from the thrust lever / release bearing doing something. Never thought any more about it.

You might have the dreaded clutch/gearbox wear issue, where the clutch plate meets the spline. I had this after 50,000 miles and had the clutch and gearbox changed under warranty. When I let the clutch out in neutral the thing was rattling like a tool box :(

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

Dismantled the rear drive this morning and found nothing to be concerned about.
No play or backlash in the final drive.
Both splines on the Final Drive and the Gearbox had loads of grease and fitted and sliding well
No play in any of the UJ's
No backlash on the Gearbox output shaft.
Also manually changed gears to feel if anything else may have a problem :thumby:.

At least I can rule that area out :thumb

Still concerned about the noise and really lost as to what it can be. :confused::confused:

If it had always been that way then probably just dismiss it but this only started over the last couple of months
I think it is something to do with the Clutch or its actuator but getting to these bits is a proper nightmare.
Its bad enough getting the drive shaft back in this morning

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

Dismantled the rear drive this morning and found nothing to be concerned about.
No play or backlash in the final drive.
Both splines on the Final Drive and the Gearbox had loads of grease and fitted and sliding well
No play in any of the UJ's
No backlash on the Gearbox output shaft.
Also manually changed gears to feel if anything else may have a problem :thumby:.

At least I can rule that area out :thumb

Still concerned about the noise and really lost as to what it can be. :confused::confused:

If it had always been that way then probably just dismiss it but this only started over the last couple of months
I think it is something to do with the Clutch or its actuator but getting to these bits is a proper nightmare.
Its bad enough getting the drive shaft back in this morning

Oh. yes, we know about that :D You need to develop a teqnique for that. I use a length of wire looped under the
shaft to hold it up while i bring the pinion shaft up to meet it. Takes seconds (usually :augie)

Make sure your throttle bodies are properly balanced, that can make a big difference a smooth gear change.

Thanks all,
I will get the throttle bodies done next week, but i dont think that would cause the clunking noise at the end of the clutch movement.

Seriously considering the option of clutch spline issues as suggested by buncobooth.
It's almost as thought the pressure plate is getting stuck on the splines for a moment then jumping to its correct place after the clutch lever is fully released.
Can not think of any other reason for this noise
Shame you can not get a tiny amount of grease to the splines

are your lower crashbar bolts tight? where they attatch to the engine

Is your clutch disengaging correctly ?

The slave cylinders do leak and fail.

Worth checking before you dig deeper.

Is your clutch disengaging correctly ?

The slave cylinders do leak and fail.

Worth checking before you dig deeper.

Clutch does seem to work ok no slipping but hard to tell if its not disengaging correctly, might well be the reason for the clunking,
then this comes back to the pressure plate sticking on the splines senario also causing the clanking at the end of clutch lever movement if its jumping back into place
No sign of oil at the clutch actuator area and level in reservoir is ok

Back
Top Bottom