R1200gs oil seals

TFinnegan

Reaction score
Hi, My 05' R1200 has developed an oil leak behind the timing chain shaft cover (item 4 on the attached drawing) I know I can replace both the cover and the O ring, but I was wondering if this was an indication that the crank shaft seals are also gone. Don't want to go to the bother of changing seals at the moment. Any suggestions , comments ?
Tommy
showparts

I haven't taken the gearbox cover No. 7 off the bike. But no there is no oil coming from the crank shaft pully wheel on the outside of the case. I was just wondering if the oil could be seeping down behind the cover and out by the square lid. ?

Number 7 is the front of the engine Plastic cover

It covers the end of the Auxiliary shaft (your square box 4 ) that drives the cam chains and the balance weight at the rear

Seal number 2 goes around the crank end and is usually okay

Be careful you don;t break the 2 screws at the top o the 3 x M5 screws on the lower half

A few wee light raps with the torx bit held in mole grips and smallish engineering hammer should help break the threads loose

If you do need to do the crank Seal Number 2 it can be done from the outside and Do NOT buy the BMW shaped seal they are a curse

Just go to a seal supplier and ask for a 36 X 50 X 7 You can ask for a double lip if you want but the standard ones have always worked okay for me

Number 7 is the front of the engine Plastic cover

It covers the end of the Auxiliary shaft (your square box 4 ) that drives the cam chains and the balance weight at the rear

Seal number 2 goes around the crank end and is usually okay

Be careful you don;t break the 2 screws at the top o the 3 x M5 screws on the lower half

A few wee light raps with the torx bit held in mole grips and smallish engineering hammer should help break the threads loose

If you do need to do the crank Seal Number 2 it can be done from the outside and Do NOT buy the BMW shaped seal they are a curse

Just go to a seal supplier and ask for a 36 X 50 X 7 You can ask for a double lip if you want but the standard ones have always worked okay for me

Thanks Pal. I did get the plastic cover off and found the leak on the bottom of the square box. no sign of oil six inches up on the crank shaft pully , so I'm assuming the crank shaft seals are OK. Do you think ?
Thanks for the tip on the new seal if I need one.:okay

Thanks Pal. I did get the plastic cover off and found the leak on the bottom of the square box. no sign of oil six inches up on the crank shaft pully , so I'm assuming the crank shaft seals are OK. Do you think ?
Thanks for the tip on the new seal if I need one.:okay

Yeah if there is no oil coming out of behind the pulley its good

Good Man DrFarkoff . Thanks for your help. I've stripped and rebuilt engines down through the years but this is the first BMW I've owned. I know it's a fairly basic engine and rock solid and would be fairly easy to work on but I just want to get it ready for a road trip next year, for which I have to plan this winter. I have purchased new fork seals from Louis. Are they a good company or have you any suggested suppliers. Cheers. ( I see you are not too far from me in Ireland)

Anybody out there can tell me the name or part number of the foam/rubber piece that sits behind the timing chain cover on my R1200gs 2005. Thanks

Anybody out there can tell me the name or part number of the foam/rubber piece that sits behind the timing chain cover on my R1200gs 2005. Thanks

The timing chain on a 2005 is in the engine, its a rubber seal that sits in each cam cover

have a look on realoem.com you may be able to point us to a more accurate description of what you mean

That bit in particular is best removed and chucked in a bin late 2004 on didnt have it fitted

it holds moisture and worse still road salt

Back
Top Bottom