Start up noise

The noise is a loud sh-sh-sh-sh but only before it fires up then purrs along fine.
The sound seems to be on the right side, does the right hand tensioner ever give any trouble ? Also does it come out with out removing the r/h down pipe and draining the oil? Just asking before I end up with oil over my feet. Cheers

New oil in the bike now, I did a video clip of the start up. Hopefully someone will say they all sound like that, but our other GS and 1100S don't. You might need to turn your speaker up, as the bike has a Y pipe and an open Akra can as it sounds like a std exhaust in the clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ud2AyQNy4w&feature=youtu.be

The noise is a loud sh-sh-sh-sh but only before it fires up

Mate that is your starter engaging!

Might have dodgy teeth on the bendix/flywheel or the starter may need an overhaul

But don;t be delving into timing chain tensioners or anything else before you examine the above

"Also" It may just be a low energy battery (OR high current draw starter, eg needs serviced) not having enough energy to drive the starter all the way through the compression stroke

Try removing the starter and engaging it via a battery and a couple of jump leads. That will isolate that possible source of the noise, at least.

My bike always goes Sh Sh Sh before it fires up. I take it to be the sound of the cylinders compressing.:nenau

Just to close the loop on my earlier post, I can report that the LH cam chain tensioner upgrade completely stopped the horrible start up rattle I had on my bike. Dead easy to fit and one silky smooth GS now

Mate that is your starter engaging!

Might have dodgy teeth on the bendix/flywheel or the starter may need an overhaul

But don;t be delving into timing chain tensioners or anything else before you examine the above

"Also" It may just be a low energy battery (OR high current draw starter, eg needs serviced) not having enough energy to drive the starter all the way through the compression stroke

Also check the dowel that locates the starter motor is in place,

Back
Top Bottom