Start up noise

Not necessary, it should prime from the oil system, assuming you don’t have a blockage.

32NM is the torque setting.

Ehm If your start rattle is there and you have the modified tensioner fitted ??

Just to clarify when you start up for maybe 3 to 5 seconds there is a clatter from the left hand side of the engine that pretty much disappears ?

By the way I only have heard people changing the tensioners because it rattled for a few seconds on start up when they used thinner oils And following suggestions to move to slightly more viscous oils that disappeared

From cold, mine starts up quietly and then after about 5/6 seconds rattles loudly for a minute or so until it warms up then it's quiet as a quiet thing and runs really smoothly. And I've got a brand new tensioner in. Go figure as the Merkins would say.

The tensioner/cam chain was mentioned due to the fact that the noise disappeared when the bike started. I originally thought it was the after market starter motor due to the mechanical whirr, so I replaced it with a used genuine one to no avail.
When the 20w/50 oil turns up later, I'll try and do a video which will be more helpful. Thank you all for your input so far.

From cold, mine starts up quietly and then after about 5/6 seconds rattles loudly for a minute or so until it warms up then it's quiet as a quiet thing and runs really smoothly. And I've got a brand new tensioner in. Go figure as the Merkins would say.

That's what mine does. Stock standard never-been-changed 1997 tensioners...

That’s precisely what mine does too. Quiet for the first second then horrible clattering noise from left cylinder for about 3-4 seconds, which then fades out over a second or two. After that it’s silky smooth quiet. I do know that the previous owner put 10-40 in it (as well as overfilling it) which won’t help. I’m hoping a combination of 20-50 oil and a new LH tensioner (belt and braces me) will do the trick on mine

Good to hear I’m not alone! I’ve owned a few 1150s and this is the first one that does this. I’m not really concerned just curious as to why.

I've had a few oilheads and TBH if you have a rattle on startup then the new camchain tensioner seems common sense... BMW redesigned it because of a problem for some bikes and the possibility that the ones that take longer than a few seconds to tension the LH chain could develop damage...
I have also run oilheads on 10-40 and 20-50 and again, they will run OK on either but will sound generally a bit more noisy of the lower viscosity... BMW for quite a few years used 10-40 as their service oil... Many of the oilheads sound and act a little different which is the tractor character coming out... But you might as well do the mod instead of worrying about it as it will be one less thing to rattle...

I've had a few oilheads and TBH if you have a rattle on startup then the new camchain tensioner seems common sense... BMW redesigned it because of a problem for some bikes and the possibility that the ones that take longer than a few seconds to tension the LH chain could develop damage...
I have also run oilheads on 10-40 and 20-50 and again, they will run OK on either but will sound generally a bit more noisy of the lower viscosity... BMW for quite a few years used 10-40 as their service oil... Many of the oilheads sound and act a little different which is the tractor character coming out... But you might as well do the mod instead of worrying about it as it will be one less thing to rattle...

Yeah like when will the FD bearing break up or the clutch splines wear or the hall sensor packing in .. :augie

Yeah like when will the FD bearing break up or the clutch splines wear or the hall sensor packing in .. :augie

Sfunny that one of the other threads is about an 1150 engine that is probably scrap due to a lh camchain tensioner that snapped... Not the first time that has happened... The other bits you mention are rebuildable for not too much hassle n cost but perhaps the above isn't... Not in a day anyway...😉

Takes an hour or two for the tensioner to be changed even with tea...

Sfunny that one of the other threads is about an 1150 engine that is probably scrap due to a lh camchain tensioner that snapped... Not the first time that has happened... The other bits you mention are rebuildable for not too much hassle n cost but perhaps the above isn't... Not in a day anyway...��

Takes an hour or two for the tensioner to be changed even with tea...

Really? I can't see how a cam chain tensioner could ever snap. Did you mean the cam chain? As it happens I put a new l/H tensioner in the other day in less than 15 mins but I had done it before so it was a well trodden path. And I had the right 15mm spanner to do it :thumb

Really? I can't see how a cam chain tensioner could ever snap. Did you mean the cam chain? As it happens I put a new l/H tensioner in the other day in less than 15 mins but I had done it before so it was a well trodden path. And I had the right 15mm spanner to do it :thumb

Well done... Wasn't the tensioner... Should have said rail... I usually don't bother with forum posts as it always ends up an adviceathon battle... I have an 1150rt, my 5th oilhead... All been different but last two have had tensioner mod as it's become available... Perhaps the op will change it of perhaps he won't... It's up to him...
Won't be an issue for the rest of us...✌️

Well done... Wasn't the tensioner... Should have said rail... I usually don't bother with forum posts as it always ends up an adviceathon battle... I have an 1150rt, my 5th oilhead... All been different but last two have had tensioner mod as it's become available... Perhaps the op will change it of perhaps he won't... It's up to him...
Won't be an issue for the rest of us...✌️
Sorry if my comment came across badly. I started to respond about the time you said it took to change a tensioner then edited the post when I realised what you were getting at. I should have deleted the post at that point!

Hello Just to recap the bike is fitted with the updated left hand cam chain tensioner and replacement starter motor and runs like clockwork once it has started. That is why I posted the short vid as it is noisier than our other oil heads.

Hello Just to recap the bike is fitted with the updated left hand cam chain tensioner and replacement starter motor and runs like clockwork once it has started. That is why I posted the short vid as it is noisier than our other oil heads.

I watched your vid and mine sounds much noisier than yours. Mine sounds like the cam chain guide is slapping up and down violently for a few seconds until the oil pressure builds and the tensioner pushes the guide down onto the chain. I’ve just received a new tensioner from Motorworks and a service kit along with 20-50 oil, so hopefully that will do the trick on mine. I’ll report back once it’s done and let you know if it’s sorted.

Although a loose push rod head is generally only apparent with a hot engine I suspect some may rattle on start up :)

Back
Top Bottom