Apple Car Play, any good or is a Sat Nav still the answer?

Fugly

Reaction score
Hi all,

Me again with another dumb ass question.

Like lots of bikes the AT pairs to your phone (Apple Car play in this case) for turn by turn navigation.

I have long used a Garmin as I like to create a route taking in the roads I want to ride and not A-B decided by my phone.

Is this car paly thing any good or do you all still use a sat nav and if so where do you mount it?

Cheers

Fuggers

Good question all I can say is I have apple car play in my car and use google maps when I need to and imo it’s as good as any other sat nav

Depends on the signal strength on your phone for when trying to start a new route or having to recalculate, On my Alpine Car play headunit and my Iphone 8 Plus (pm 4G) I've had a few times when neither of those tasks were possible to do no Cell signal. Once in the lakes when trying to navigate an area I'd never visited before so followed my nose instead as most roads lead to Rome but if that happened where you really didnt know the location it could be a PITA , though only until the Cell was reconnected. Maybe its becoming less of an issue with 5G looming.

Car sat nav rely on pre loaded maps which get out dated and are often expensive to up date

Google maps on Apple play is AFAIKalways bang up to date

A month or so ago I was trying to find an out of the way campsite and the new VW in built nav just couldn't, Google maps did.

It's brilliant. Waze works perfectly on the ATAS and it's easy to flip between bike screens and apps.

Back
Top Bottom