Do I inform my insurance company??

Isn’t careless driving worse stuff than not checking properly when pulling out (it can happen)?
Honest question: I never understood the threshold. But seems like careless driving can put you in deep trouble these days?

Tell them you had a passenger on the bike who witnessed the whole thing, and then say how pleased you are that they have footage of the accident, ask them to sent it to you as it will 100% prove who was at fault. They are bullsh*tting you about footage and witnesses, tell them they are trying it on and you'll go to the police if they persist with the lies.

Tell them you had a passenger on the bike who witnessed the whole thing, and then say how pleased you are that they have footage of the accident, ask them to sent it to you as it will 100% prove who was at fault. They are bullsh*tting you about footage and witnesses, tell them they are trying it on and you'll go to the police if they persist with the lies.

as already stated above to a similar post: this is poor advice. The advice from all insurers is to refer all 3rd parties to them. This does two things, insulating the OP from pressure to settle outside of the insurance companies and allows the insurer to be fully informed of all claimants and their allegations. The insurer is then responsible for due process to test any alleged evidence.

The OP should only contact the police if the 3rd party tries to intimidate him into a certain action. The police will knock everything else back as a civil matter. The insurer can make a complaint if the 3rd party tries to make a fraudulent claim as they would be the victim.

Isn’t careless driving worse stuff than not checking properly when pulling out (it can happen)?
Honest question: I never understood the threshold. But seems like careless driving can put you in deep trouble these days?

UPDATE
Derbyshire plod not interested in going after the lad for careless driving even though I've got an eye witness. I'm actually happy with that I just wanted it 'logged' with the police in case things got shitty. He made a silly mistake as we all have.
Insurance dealing with it now. My insurance took details from me and called the lad to get his side of things.....he hung up immediately.
I've accepted that just by reporting it to insurance it will cost me. I'm hoping if its a 'no fault' claim it won't mess up my NCB otherwise I might be better off not actually processing the claim. Replacement parts only about £300 and a bit of a touch up on the fairing would do the job. Its a second bike so the excess on the policy is pretty high (£500) to keep the premium down.

UPDATE
Derbyshire plod not interested in going after the lad for careless driving even though I've got an eye witness. I'm actually happy with that I just wanted it 'logged' with the police in case things got shitty. He made a silly mistake as we all have.
Insurance dealing with it now. My insurance took details from me and called the lad to get his side of things.....he hung up immediately.
I've accepted that just by reporting it to insurance it will cost me. I'm hoping if its a 'no fault' claim it won't mess up my NCB otherwise I might be better off not actually processing the claim. Replacement parts only about £300 and a bit of a touch up on the fairing would do the job. Its a second bike so the excess on the policy is pretty high (£500) to keep the premium down.

He will shit it as the insurance will crucify him and he probably only has 3rd party, so he will get fuck all. oh well never mind.

If no claim ever emerges from this little incident I would be insistent with insurance co that you were merely reporting an incident as obliged by your contract of insurance. Be clear that At the time you reported It you were not making a claim of any sort merely notifying them of the possibility. Good luck though, it’s a bit binary in their world.

My insurance took details from me and called the lad to get his side of things.....he hung up immediately.

How do people like this have driving licenses?

How do people like this have driving licenses?

and you were a paragon of virtue as a teenager?

he's a kid, probably scared shitless of the consequences and based on the original post, not receiving very helpful advice from a parent

he'll probably come to his senses once he starts getting letters from his own insurer and maybe seeks some advice from someone with a more pragmatic approach

My youngest (18) rear ended a truck on a motorway while riding his motorcycle. He’s saying the truck is at fault. I’ve sorted the trucking company €1500. Towing company and cops are not charging him with anything and he is hopping mad because he says he was in the right and wants to go trough insurance. He was in hospital for 2 days has loads of injuries is facing facial surgery and I’m at my wits end with him. So I have an idea what you are facing. We were all young once but I want some peace JJH

and you were a paragon of virtue as a teenager

Got into one or two small accidents between 16 and 18 with my 125. Had insurance, gave my details. As you do. Sorted. Own up to shit you do.
I really wouldn’t have hung up to the insurers and also, for sure, my parents wouldn’t fabricate bullshit like what OP reported.

So, no.
I’ve done my fair amount of stupid things as anyone, but not this. This is really shitty (low life) behaviour to be honest.

My youngest (18) rear ended a truck on a motorway while riding his motorcycle. He’s saying the truck is at fault. I’ve sorted the trucking company €1500. Towing company and cops are not charging him with anything and he is hopping mad because he says he was in the right and wants to go trough insurance. He was in hospital for 2 days has loads of injuries is facing facial surgery and I’m at my wits end with him. So I have an idea what you are facing. We were all young once but I want some peace JJH

Let him pursue his folly, he#s an adult after all ...

But before he does, just point out that driving into the back of someone regards of whether they brake checked him or not, can be seen as driving with out due care and attention

Let him see what a good barrister charges for a day in court..

Might knock his ego down a peg or too

Let him pursue his folly, he#s an adult after all ...

But before he does, just point out that driving into the back of someone regards of whether they brake checked him or not, can be seen as driving with out due care and attention

Let him see what a good barrister charges for a day in court..

Might knock his ego down a peg or too

I’m sorely tempted. But no I’ll help him out this time. He will come to his senses. Bike is sitting in my garage and it will be a long time before I look at repairing it. He has a few bills to pay. JJH

If no claim ever emerges from this little incident I would be insistent with insurance co that you were merely reporting an incident as obliged by your contract of insurance. Be clear that At the time you reported It you were not making a claim of any sort merely notifying them of the possibility. Good luck though, it’s a bit binary in their world.

Unfortunately that is irrelevant.
Fact...you’ve informed your insurance company that you have been involved in an accident.
Fact... for the next five years you will have to disclose the accident each time you renew your bike and car insurance.
Fact...for the next five years you will have loaded premiums because of the accident, irrespective of fault.

Therefore advise your insurance company that you wish to pursue the other party for damages equating to what you estimate your loaded premiums will be on any of your motor vehicle policies for the next five years. I did this a number of years ago and whilst it was never suggested that I was at fault, in fact I had independent witnesses to confirm that, my premiums did increase because I’d been involved in a bump. The damages I received through the insurance claim helped to negate the increased premiums.

Unfortunately that is irrelevant.
Fact...you’ve informed your insurance company that you have been involved in an accident.
Fact... for the next five years you will have to disclose the accident each time you renew your bike and car insurance.
Fact...for the next five years you will have loaded premiums because of the accident, irrespective of fault.

Therefore advise your insurance company that you wish to pursue the other party for damages equating to what you estimate your loaded premiums will be on any of your motor vehicle policies for the next five years. I did this a number of years ago and whilst it was never suggested that I was at fault, in fact I had independent witnesses to confirm that, my premiums did increase because I’d been involved in a bump. The damages I received through the insurance claim helped to negate the increased premiums.

Fact 1 & 2 true, Fact 3, maybe not.....I persuaded my insurance co (LV= and see an earlier post in this thread}, that I had merely reported an incident that could lead to a claim. No claim had resulted, they had incurred no additional costs therefore unfair to increase my premium. They relented, downgraded my "claim" to a report or something and my insurance reduced. I did declare this for each of the next 5 years and it was always accepted as a no-fault report with no impact on my policy costs.

Fact 1 & 2 true, Fact 3, maybe not.....I persuaded my insurance co (LV= and see an earlier post in this thread}, that I had merely reported an incident that could lead to a claim. No claim had resulted, they had incurred no additional costs therefore unfair to increase my premium. They relented, downgraded my "claim" to a report or something and my insurance reduced. I did declare this for each of the next 5 years and it was always accepted as a no-fault report with no impact on my policy costs.

Perhaps I should have been insured with LV :)

Hi Guys,
A bit of advice would be appreciated.
I was on a birthday ride out today with my daughter on the back in Matlock Derbyshire riding along the main/high street on my ST1300 when a young guy sitting on his 125 outside a bike accessory shop and parked behind a small van facing into the road just pulled out straight across me. I tried to avoid him but couldn’t and I collided with him with my left mirror and left upper fairing. I didn’t come off but the lad did. Neither of us hurt. A bit of a scuff on my upper fairing and mirror cover flew off a cracked. Young lads bike hit the deck and had more damage. We exchanged details and that was that...or so I thought.
Hour or so later his mum calls and berates me for knocking her son off his bike and says she has two witnesses that put me at fault and CCTV footage from a shop at the ‘scene’. Its a load of fabricated threatening stuff. Sounds like the lad had told his mum a pack of lies. Anyhow after I insisted that it was her sons fault and she said the insurance will have to sort it out.
I hope they’ll think again given after sleeping on it. Dunno. I was going to get a price for my light repair and ask the lad to pay for it possibly away from insurance (as my excess might even be higher than the damage cost) but it looks like he doesn’t want to admit he messed up. Maybe he’s only TPFT covered and wants me to pay for his damage??

So after all that long winded stuff do I need to inform my insurer of the accident even if I am potentially not claiming and if he comes to his senses the lad won’t either.
If I do inform my insurer it will effect my premium and NCB as it will if I claim for my damage even if it is accepted as a no fault claim from me.

Shame as up to that point I was having a good birthday:(

Get your mum to call his mum. They'll soon have it "sorted".

It is why i ride with innovv 2 front and rear dashcams on my bike. Dashcam in cars as well. Its the world we live in.

Increased premiums will apply to bike and car insurance.

You did the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom