P& D FERRIES HULL to ZEEBRUGGE ROUTE,

If the Hull-Rotterdam route is continuing, it's hardly a tragedy, though I recognise there will be inconvenience for some. Rotterdam and Zeebrugge are only a couple of hours apart. I would imagine most of the traffic for Zeebrugge will just transfer to Rotterdam and P&O will create one profitable route for two borderline ones. If there was money to be made in having two routes, you can bet they'd have kept it going.

Let's hope that traffic doesn't transfer to Dover, creating even more traffic lumbering up and down the motorways to get to the North.

It is of course far more personal and serious for those whose jobs are affected.

The article clearly stated no more ferry to Belgium and rattled on about Zeebrugge. There was no mention of Rotterdam and as it is in the Netherlands...I presumed it was still going to operate ?

We've been using Harwich-Rotterdam for the last 3 or 4 years.Half the price of P&O, better ship,good and fast crossing times, your docked and off for 8am.You can make a decent ride of it from up north as well.
Coming home just blast up the A1

If the Hull-Rotterdam route is continuing, it's hardly a tragedy, though I recognise there will be inconvenience for some. Rotterdam and Zeebrugge are only a couple of hours apart. I would imagine most of the traffic for Zeebrugge will just transfer to Rotterdam and P&O will create one profitable route for two borderline ones. If there was money to be made in having two routes, you can bet they'd have kept it going.

Let's hope that traffic doesn't transfer to Dover, creating even more traffic lumbering up and down the motorways to get to the North.

It is of course far more personal and serious for those whose jobs are affected.

Two hours is a lot if you’re heading South into France.

Two hours is a lot if you’re heading South into France.

Rotterdam to Troyes (to pick somewhere in NE France at random) is 5 hours. Zeebrugge to Troyes in 4 hours. An hour out of a trip to France is hardly going to shatter the dream. It's the difference between taking a ferry or taking the tunnel to Calais.

It's only ever going to be a 2hr increase if you're actually heading into Zeebrugge or surrounding area, and it's hardly a Mecca for touring bikers. It's an hour an a half extra if you're heading for the battlefield sites around Ypres.

I suspect the crossing to Rotterdam is an hour or more quicker than to Zeebrugge anyway - it's certainly less distance for the boat and they only go at 20 knots.

Bugger. That was my regular route.
Fecking HATE the south and never intend to use a channel crossing again.

It's a mystery why so many people choose to live in the South rather than the North. Unless they think it's better and "fecking HATE the North."

I,ve just been on the P & O web site and can’t find anything and they are still selling the Zeebrugge route for next year.
I’m certain all this is just Hull Daily Mail newspaper up to mischief on a slow news week. HDM are experts at putting out none stories just to fill space.

I,ve just been on the P & O web site and can’t find anything and they are still selling the Zeebrugge route for next year.
I’m certain all this is just Hull Daily Mail newspaper up to mischief on a slow news week. HDM are experts at putting out none stories just to fill space.

We spoke to P& O yesterday via their chat link, they are not taking bookings for the Hull Zeebruuge route for next year , it was put back from 01/09/20 until 01/10/20 and now they say you may be able to book from 01/11/20, the caveat being that the route is under review so you might not be able to book it even then if at all

We spoke to P& O yesterday via their chat link, they are not taking bookings for the Hull Zeebruuge route for next year , it was put back from 01/09/20 until 01/10/20 and now they say you may be able to book from 01/11/20, the caveat being that the route is under review so you might not be able to book it even then if at all

The north is being oppressed and dicked about. Rise up!

So, geography isn’t your strong point.... :D

Let me explain. If you live oop North you travel Hull to Zeebrugge to avoid the schlepp to Dover. You get off in the morning fully rested and head South via Lille perhaps into la Belle France. Adding the extra time on by disembarking in Rotterdam and having to travel the further distance South is not beneficial in terms of time or cost. That any clearer for sir?

'ull isn't in the North, you must be confused with the North Shields to Ijmuiden crossing :friday:pullface

Let me explain. If you live oop North you travel Hull to Zeebrugge to avoid the schlepp to Dover. You get off in the morning fully rested and head South via Lille perhaps into la Belle France. Adding the extra time on by disembarking in Rotterdam and having to travel the further distance South is not beneficial in terms of time or cost. That any clearer for sir?

A wonderful explanation, all without the use of paper and a pencil. Bookmarked.

I think that's all perfectly clear (to me, if not to JoeBiff) but according to Google maps it's an hour and 15 mins further to Lille from Rotterdam compared to Zeebrugge. If the boat leaves Hull at a similar time, you'll be disembarking at least an hour earlier anyway. The difference is less if you're heading further south and can cut the corner more.

And look on the bright side: if you're heading for Germany (Cochem as an example) you'll be saving half an hour or so.

I think that's all perfectly clear (to me, if not to JoeBiff) but according to Google maps it's an hour and 15 mins further to Lille from Rotterdam compared to Zeebrugge. If the boat leaves Hull at a similar time, you'll be disembarking at least an hour earlier anyway. The difference is less if you're heading further south and can cut the corner more.

And look on the bright side: if you're heading for Germany (Cochem as an example) you'll be saving half an hour or so.

That at best is two and a half hours return on boring motorways plus fuel cost. Each to their own. I like the Rotterdam crossing for Germany and in truth it’s a better boat. Quick plod across to Aachen and onto the 258 for the Eiffel and on to the Black Forest.

That at best is two and a half hours return on boring motorways plus fuel cost. Each to their own. I like the Rotterdam crossing for Germany and in truth it’s a better boat. Quick plod across to Aachen and onto the 258 for the Eiffel and on to the Black Forest.

Given the available time, I use motorways to get across the flat bit of Belgium and then avoid them from then on!

I haven't ridden much in Netherlands and last year's trek to Assen from Calais was no fun at all, but once off the motorways around Assen it was surprisingly good. No real twisty roads and (obviously) very flat, but the road surfaces were perfect everywhere and plenty of visibility for the corners. All in all, though, I can't see it competing with the Eifel or Ardennes, which explains the huge number of Dutch bikes in Belgium and Germany.

Back
Top Bottom