KTM 890 Adventure R Rally

That is a lot of money for a butt ugly bike!!!

That is a lot of money for a butt ugly bike!!!

Yes but it is function over form. :D:D

790 clutch is fine - overhyped by the naysayers who like hydraulic and can't be bothered to adjust the cable. Take the oil jet out and make sure it's clear then every 9000 miles as per the maintenance schedule - easy job. :okay

I have two KTMs now and have had four previous ones: they all covered high mileages completely trouble free; although with my first 990 I could have probably bought a new bike with the cost of servicing over the 65,000 miles it covered. :eek:

I'm a fan. :D

Very nice, its go 9bhp more, but its also 7kg heavier. I was going to buy a 790 ADV R, great bike, as the say, it was “Ready to Race” and felt taut, quick and relatively light. Was all up for one after the test ride, but after looking into the long term ownership cost, I stumbled across all the reliability issues, like breaking frames, cooking shocks, oil leaks, dodgy instruments etc, obviously most bikes aren’t having these issues depending on usage, but there were too many potential issues which put me off.

You’d like to think KTM have rectified all these issues with the 890, but my guess is adding an extra 9bhp without addressing the “ugly duckling” looks wont be enough to stop most sales going to the Husqvarna Norden 901 when its released (unless it’s priced significantly more then the 890).

I mean, just look at them.........

Not saying this because I have one, but I’ve not seen these issues with my 790 and she’s been off road more then the average Waitrose warrior. Try before you buy ans better still try the off road school and see what you can do and how the bike works for you.

Signature- Why does Tapatalk reword my posts and then bombard me with unsolicited “gift point” opportunities - please suggest alternate software.

I’ll be sticking with my 790 for now. Might consider an 890 in a years time if and when KTM do their usual price reductions. Why is it 7kg heavier? Not much progress there.

I’ve resprung mine to suit me and considering a Rottweiler power commander.

Yes but it is function over form. :D:D

790 clutch is fine - overhyped by the naysayers who like hydraulic and can't be bothered to adjust the cable. Take the oil jet out and make sure it's clear then every 9000 miles as per the maintenance schedule - easy job. :okay

I have two KTMs now and have had four previous ones: they all covered high mileages completely trouble free; although with my first 990 I could have probably bought a new bike with the cost of servicing over the 65,000 miles it covered. :eek:

I'm a fan. :D

It is possible to design function over form to still look good, as opposed to a bug eyed alien on an acid trip, although to be fair, ALL of the current crop of KTM are fucking hideous to look at from the front, but its not even functional HOW many screws an pannels do you have to remove to get the tank off just to get to things ? Ok not specificaly this one, some of the 11xx/12xx its nearly an hour just getting shit off before you start to do any proper work hardly helps servicing costs!!!

I have 2 KTM's - 990 adv and 640 adv and shall not be selling either to get any of the new ones

besides which at 6'5" when I rode the 790 it was so fecking cramped it just ruined the whole experience

Two 790s bent their front wheel rims and quite a few (elsewhere) have burned out their clutch plates.

Tim is the clutch the sticky out thing in the left ?

Signature- Why does Tapatalk reword my posts and then bombard me with unsolicited “gift point” opportunities - please suggest alternate software.

It is possible to design function over form to still look good, as opposed to a bug eyed alien on an acid trip, although to be fair, ALL of the current crop of KTM are fucking hideous to look at from the front, but its not even functional HOW many screws an pannels do you have to remove to get the tank off just to get to things ? Ok not specificaly this one, some of the 11xx/12xx its nearly an hour just getting shit off before you start to do any proper work hardly helps servicing costs!!!

I have 2 KTM's - 990 adv and 640 adv and shall not be selling either to get any of the new ones

besides which at 6'5" when I rode the 790 it was so fecking cramped it just ruined the whole experience

Agree with all of that - especially taking the tank off the 1190: nightmare.

790 is fine 10 minutes to take all the panels off. Tank is quite easy too.

I have the opposite problem to you 😂😂

I’m 6’ but short legs - the 790 (S) is great for me as I’m getting older 😂😂

990’s are great - I loved mine. Never had a 640 but I do have a 690 and I’m very much on my tiptoes :(
I can manage it as it’s lightweight and I don’t go too fast 😂😂

That poor bloke in the video had trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground...... I'm in.
Slightly worried about the lack of landings shown in the video though. Lots of air shots not many of the crumpled mess on landing.

I'm too old to slag off people's choice of bike. Each to their own I say. I rode one of Sweet Lambs 790 Adventure R's and loved it but my GS suits me better. Simple as that.

As you were......

Never a truer word spoken in jest ;)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1602194988911.jpg
    FB_IMG_1602194988911.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 146
I’m 6’ but short legs - the 790 (S) is great for me as I’m getting older ����

Its so bad that the 990 only really fits because I put on lowered footpegs, AND it came with a renzaco seat which has 3 inches extra in the seat, when I bought the bike there was an S (already sold unfortunatly) but the previous owner was over 6'7" and he had this massive renzaco seat, the first thing the shop did was take it off as they could not sell the S version which is tall with a seat like that. However my mate runs the shop and asked if I wanted it for mine so I have had it the whole time I have owned it and it is fantastic but anything shorter would be a nightmare.

I can have the 640 on centre stand (as it came with both stands) be sat on my Seat concepts seat and still touch the floor both sides, ok toes only, but I can touch the floor, you have no idea how difficult it is living in world designed by midgets !!!!!

Why come up with a new engine then release only one version as a hardcore off-road bike? How many Dakar wannabes are there in reality? KTM’s product line in the midrange mystifies me - a 790 Adv “regular” bike that has 21/18 spoked wheels and a rather tall seat height for the size of bike and is one the ugliest adventure bikes ever made (I’m sure those fuel tank wings give a lower centre of gravity but surely they could have made it look less fugly). Then bring out an R version with exactly the same wheels and better suspension, making the regular bike basically pointless (other than being cheaper). Then bring out another bike based on a newish engine, but only an R version with its limited market, rather than the 890 engine would make for a great on/off road tourer (this is what modern adventure bikes are really used for, not overlanding across Mongolia).
I say this as someone who would definitely got for a regular 790/890 with cast or even spoked tubeless 19/17 wheels, a touch more weather protection and a more classic KTM look than some of the recent design crap as it’s the lightest in class and in the main very solidly put together.

Back
Top Bottom