Non compliant E-bikes

My main reason is an upcoming op which means I'll lose my driving licence for minimum 6 weeks, we live in the sticks with no public transport, so it'll mainly be used for visiting clients and shopping. My wife doesn't drive!
I guess it depends on your perception of the risk/benefit of getting nicked and the consequences thereof.

My chances of getting nicked driving home pissed from the pub are very low, but the downside risk is very significant. You've determined that your chances of being caught driving a non-complying ebike without a licence and insurance are very, very small and maybe the downside risk not quite so severe (though you'd probably get a ban at least).

We all evaluate these risks in different ways.

I guess it depends on your perception of the risk/benefit of getting nicked and the consequences thereof.

My chances of getting nicked driving home pissed from the pub are very low, but the downside risk is very significant. You've determined that your chances of being caught driving a non-complying ebike without a licence and insurance are very, very small and maybe the downside risk not quite so severe (though you'd probably get a ban at least).

Agreed, I debated with myself for weeks on this matter, it was only after a long chat with a friend I decided. It's not easily identifiable as being over 250w. Plus as a (nearly) 60 year old I'm unlikely to be a prime target for the largely non existent police presence. As I get older I feel more in tune with the 16 year old anarchist from 40 odd years ago and whilst I've never been "well behaved" the current state of society and our leaders doesn't convince me to follow rules I don't agree with :hippy

Several years ago the met police run an operation with Westminster Council targeting the cycle rickshaws.

There were quite a number of those stopped and measured that exceed the permitted power output, and were crushed.

Under the current law, if the cycle exceeds the permitted power output, it becomes a mechanically propelled vehicle. The main offence that police should then be using is no insurance. A quick £300 and six points minimum.

Only a prohibition if you have money and a license already so a scrote like the drug runners in Manchester wont care a hoot.

If you want an e bike for getting to and fro etc, why the need for the extra illegal power? The normal regulated one will do that. Otherwise just ride a moped.? It seems with every invention people just aren't satisfied

If you want an e bike for getting to and fro etc, why the need for the extra illegal power? The normal regulated one will do that. Otherwise just ride a moped.? It seems with every invention people just aren't satisfied

Because there is no requirement for licenses, road tax or insurance

Honest answer Don. Post op i won't have a licence so need an ebike. The legal ones are pedal assist only but I need one that won't need pedalling (not sure on whether I'll be up to pedalling just wanted to cover all possibilities). It wasn't much more expensive to increase the motor power, once you get above 1000w they tend to cost a lot more.
I think they go up to 3500w :D

I would say that riding an ebike up any kind of slope, without needing to pedal would be a dead giveaway to it being illegal. I think that if you're doing 20mph whilst spinning the pedals, you're less likely to get pulled as you'd just appear quite fit, but doing 30 whilst gently rotating the pedals might just attract an interested copper or two.

I've been looking at ebikes for a while, and some of the non ebike looking machines without a great deal of weight penalty, unfortunately don't seem to high much of a range. Huge choice out there, so too many for me to pick from...

Honest answer Don. Post op i won't have a licence so need an ebike. The legal ones are pedal assist only but I need one that won't need pedalling (not sure on whether I'll be up to pedalling just wanted to cover all possibilities). It wasn't much more expensive to increase the motor power, once you get above 1000w they tend to cost a lot more.

If you don’t want to pedal you’re fucked. Ok, you’re not automatically fucked but if you’re happy to ride something that doesn’t need pedalling without licence, insurance, tax, crash helmet etc why not just ride a motorbike?

I think you and I have both evaluated it pretty much the same way.

If you don’t want to pedal you’re fucked. Ok, you’re not automatically fucked but if you’re happy to ride something that doesn’t need pedalling without licence, insurance, tax, crash helmet etc why not just ride a motorbike?

Because I won't have a driving licence for at least 6 weeks after op. I've no intention of pushing the thing to the max, il get me up hills for trails. It will flick to assist with a switch and I do intend to use the pedals. Just trying to cover as many bases as possible.

Because I won't have a driving licence for at least 6 weeks after op. I've no intention of pushing the thing to the max, il get me up hills for trails. It will flick to assist with a switch and I do intend to use the pedals. Just trying to cover as many bases as possible.

You might as well be hung for a sheep rather than a lamb.

fair do's. So you're basically looking for a seated e scooter then? PS don't post that on here :)

But go into it with your eyes open, in the knowledge that if you get nicked you're in for a ban.

But go into it with your eyes open, in the knowledge that if you get nicked you're in for a ban.

Nah, I'm gonna ride around not pedalling at 30mph wearing a hi viz vest painted with the words "This bike is illegal".

Unless they strip it down they won't know how powerful it is.
In 30 years of living here I've only been pulled by the cops once, breathalysed and sent on my way with instructions not to cut the corner again!

This is a recent change to the regs. Get a second hand e bike dating before the change in regs and twist and go is ok

Back
Top Bottom