Garaging Clause

iandavid

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bennetts have just removed the 10-6 part of the garaging clause. Has anyone tested the validity of insurance if the bike get pinched of your drive while you pop in for a pee etc., when washing the bike?

Seems all companies are moving intros direction.

Bennetts are just the broker. This will be a clause in the policy from one of several underwriters they deal with. I have seen this before myself but choose a different policy from an underwriter that gives better term.

I have two polices from different brokers. One is from broker Devitt underwritten by Aviva. This adds a £175 policy excess if the bike is not in a garage after 10pm until 6am if at my home address. The other is from broker Carole Nash Select and underwritten by Axa. This has the same time limit but a £250 excess.

Did you ask Bennetts if they could offer a policy from a different underwriter with different terms? They almost certainly could but the premium might be higher.

Had this clause for a few years now, form IAM, Principle and now Bennetts. As said, it seems to be an underwriters clause, but when I challenged it with IAM Surety a couple of years ago, they told me it was a condition of Ageis, but I rang Ageis direct and they said they didn't have such a clause, so it was IAM Surety. Haven't challenged with Bennetts as this clause seems to be a lot more common now.

Thanks for your comments. Went back to Bennetts and they found me a policy with the 10-6 clause in at no extra cost.

Bennetts have just removed the 10-6 part of the garaging clause. Has anyone tested the validity of insurance if the bike get pinched of your drive while you pop in for a pee etc., when washing the bike?.

Yes, Tarka did, when his claim for bike theft was settled. He also posted a very clear and simple explanation as to why the claim was paid.

Of course it won’t stop bods agonising over the pre-condition and dreaming up all sorts of convoluted nonsense. But hey, you have had it struck out by shopping around, so have nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom