Supercharged Africa Twin

Bloody hell...for a minute I thought you'd somehow connected it to your #teslapowerwall

F### me, only a moron would want a 150hp AT. The beauty of it is the fact that it only has 95-100hp and hasn't tagged on to the HP chasing firms...who needs more? (Unless you're doing 140 mph Mexico runs obviously)

It could produce more power if that's what they were chasing, like Kawasaki, but its not ;

"Honda, however, is using a different type of supercharger entirely. It’s a twin-screw design, which is a type of positive-displacement supercharger. Unlike a centrifugal blower, a positive-displacement supercharger moves a fixed amount of air with each rotation, and since it’s geared from the crankshaft, that means you basically get the same amount of boost pressure delivered to the cylinders all the way from idle to the redline.It’s the sort of supercharger that drag racers use, as it provides close to maximum boost all the way through the rev range. A centrifugal blower might make a bit more peak boost overall as you get near the rev limiter – hence Kawasaki’s choice when looking to make a supercharged superbike – but for an adventure bike like the Africa Twin, a flat, fat torque curve is what’s needed, making the twin-screw supercharger a better option."

it seemed likely that we might see more smaller / mid displacement supercharged engines so its an odd bike for Honda to start with for sure.

Bloody hell...for a minute I thought you'd somehow connected it to your #teslapowerwall

F### me, only a moron would want a 150hp AT. The beauty of it is the fact that it only has 95-100hp and hasn't tagged on to the HP chasing firms...who needs more? (Unless you're doing 140 mph Mexico runs obviously)

Haha

I thought they would go the other way, a much smaller capacity engine (lower weight) with the power of a 1000cc engine

Perhaps it would make sense if it was to appear on the "mini" AT of say 600cc?

Agreed. Now watch them fly out of the dealerships...!

As someone who never liked the continuing trend of manufacturers just upping the capacity every few years to add power/counter the effects of emissions controls, I am all in favour of this. Seems a better solution than adding weight to the motor, then having to add weight to the chassis to cope with the extra weight.

As someone who never liked the continuing trend of manufacturers just upping the capacity every few years to add power/counter the effects of emissions controls, I am all in favour of this. Seems a better solution than adding weight to the motor, then having to add weight to the chassis to cope with the extra weight.

I hope you're a 10 stone featherweight rider then...

I hope you're a 10 stone featherweight rider then...
No, why? I'm talking about the bike. A smaller capacity supercharged motor should be just as capable as a larger N/A motor.

A commonly used Aussie phrase...

"ain't no replacement for displacement"

S20 5G sent this......

Back
Top Bottom