Centre Stand Spring Tip

KTM-AL

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After referbing my 1150GS centre stand and nearly putting my back out trying to get the big spring back on, I came up with a cunning plan in using a bit of wire looped around the end of the spring and with a ratchet strap hooked on the end if my ramp and treaded through the bash plate, I slowly ratcheted it forward onto the bracket, without loosing any fingers.
I expect that there is a correct way to do this, but I couldn't think of one.

Easiest is to attach the spring to the bike and the free hanging stand and then use the stand itself as a lever to line up the bolt holes

I tried the ratchet strap idea yesterday, not on my BMW but on a 1979 Suzuki GS750 that I've been working on. I couldn't get a straight enough pull on it that way to make it work. The spring is way to strong for me and screwdrivers too.

What has worked for me this evening is something suggested to me by a friend:- the bike is on the side stand, I pulled the centre stand down to touch the floor, stretching the spring. Then with a box of old assorted washers, push them one at a time between the coils of the spring, the full length of the spring. Once that's done, lift the stand up, the spring stayed extended and lifted straight off.

I couldn't believe it, it was as easy as that. And it stays extended to put back on too.

And it took less time I spent struggling with it up until then.

I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom