R100gs nicked tonight

Feeling your pain John - I've a '91 bumblebee and know what it means to you...eyes peeled in West Yorks.

Yep, beginning to think that it was my fault that someone stole my bike. What's the point :confused:
Shame the high risk covid for Sheffield didn't come last week, couldn't have visited then and would still have me bike.....maybe :(

Not your fault mate,
The para,s are going up in value,
Good market for parts,
It’s worth a few squid broken up.
To a certain degree we all contribute to the market buying parts from ebay,etc.
Hope you get sorted on insurance.

I do sympathise. I’ve only had 2 bikes nicked back in the 80’s (Z1 & RD400) both culprits were nicked as a result of pulling bigger jobs - the Z1 was nicked in Slough and the scroat who nicked it then did Kawasaki UK also in Slough where he nicked 8 bikes and was tracked down by the police. Sadly, never saw either bike again.

Thanks for all your kind words and support, very much appreciated. Been a tough few days, not just the theft of the bike but also the liberty these people take from you.
Phone interview with the insurance tomorrow, sent them lots of details/photos, the usual V5, Driving Licence, etc. A strange one was a photo of my garage, didn't see the relevance but sent one anyway? Thanks for the adverts for possible replacements but all seem to be around the 7k+ region for anything remotely resembling my bike. Can't see them paying that out really, expect more like 3 to 4K if lucky. Anyway, cheers guys and hope to be back on the road soon.

Thanks for all your kind words and support, very much appreciated. Been a tough few days, not just the theft of the bike but also the liberty these people take from you.
Phone interview with the insurance tomorrow, sent them lots of details/photos, the usual V5, Driving Licence, etc. A strange one was a photo of my garage, didn't see the relevance but sent one anyway? Thanks for the adverts for possible replacements but all seem to be around the 7k+ region for anything remotely resembling my bike. Can't see them paying that out really, expect more like 3 to 4K if lucky. Anyway, cheers guys and hope to be back on the road soon.

WHY?
If you can prove the market value is £7000 - that is the market value they will have to pay you. Either thast or tell them to find you a replacement bike in the same condition. I thought that was the deal with insurers.

Gather photos and screen shots of similar condition bikes for sale,
I know nothing of your insurance policy but if it’s gonna cost £6 to £7 k to replace ,,,which is realistic.
Unless there is a previous assured value you can prove its worth more than £ 4 or 5 k.
Stick at it:thumb

WHY?
If you can prove the market value is £7000 - that is the market value they will have to pay you. Either thast or tell them to find you a replacement bike in the same condition. I thought that was the deal with insurers.

Not sure how they work, fortunately had no experience with them for bike theft before. Seen one or two possible replacements that would do fine but all for that sort of money and more, even private. Hadn't realised the market for old airheads had gone up so much. Difficult to prove the condition of my bike as I have serviced it myself and owned it for so long. Same MOT local garage for the last 15 years so could possibly get them to verify.

eBay item number: 124324536245

ENDED
1994 BMW R100GS PD PARIS DAKAR 6496 MILES FROM NEW MINT TIMEWARP COLLECTORS BIKE
ITEM PRICE:
£9,200.00
SELLER:
mosthonestsellerrelax (2859)
100% positive Feedback

A piece of evidence for your insurance company, this has just sold on eBay, I’ve just bought it :thumby:

There’s also this R80/GS on eBay presently for £6,850 over 100,000 miles.
(Poor image)

Attachments

• 159349B6-785E-4FC8-A657-8B0D8D644912.jpeg
    159349B6-785E-4FC8-A657-8B0D8D644912.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 628
eBay item number: 124324536245

ENDED
1994 BMW R100GS PD PARIS DAKAR 6496 MILES FROM NEW MINT TIMEWARP COLLECTORS BIKE
ITEM PRICE:
£9,200.00
SELLER:
mosthonestsellerrelax (2859)
100% positive Feedback

A piece of evidence for your insurance company, this has just sold on eBay, I’ve just bought it :thumby:

There’s also this R80/GS on eBay presently for £6,850 over 100,000 miles.
(Poor image)

Thanks for that, every airhead seems to carry a character that other bikes just don't have. Mine was unique to me, the joy and the sorrow of loosing a good friend and the times we had. Possibly all in the imagination but it was real....maybe: :confused:

Insurance have done there validation interview, really pleasant guy but I did feel like the accused! Hopefully it will be the offer next. Don't hold out for a replacement but given me the incentive to drag an old morini 3.5 out of the back of the garage I was restoring 20 years back. Maybe a brand new friend!
Cheers, John

I'm really sorry to hear about the theft of your bike, there's not enough that can be done to the scum who do this to other people.

One thing to consider, is to get Agreed Value on your bike insurance, rather than Market Value.

There's no stress about what may or may not be offerred following any theft or other total loss then.

Thanks for that, every airhead seems to carry a character that other bikes just don't have. Mine was unique to me, the joy and the sorrow of loosing a good friend and the times we had. Possibly all in the imagination but it was real....maybe: :confused:

Insurance have done there validation interview, really pleasant guy but I did feel like the accused! Hopefully it will be the offer next. Don't hold out for a replacement but given me the incentive to drag an old morini 3.5 out of the back of the garage I was restoring 20 years back. Maybe a brand new friend!
Cheers, John

What a motorbike! I had a Strada 350 for 18 years and put 187,000 miles on it before being lured by an R100RS. The Morini was the better bike! (Stand by with fire extinguisher for irate airhead owners!) I rode it from East Budleigh, where I was milking cows at the time, down through France, Spain to the ferry to N Africa and at that time you could still ride the coast to Tunisia. Then ferried back across to European side and back up. 4000 miles in just over 2 weeks. It never missed a beat and I never felt like I needed a bigger bike. It is a very sensitive and charming bike. I think I still have a generator removal tool in the toolbox if it is any good to you. Join the MRC, (Morini Riders Club) it is a wealth of knowledge. I believe Arthur Farrow is still involved. Benji Straw has disappeared off the face of the earth (WeeVee owner). North Leicester Motorcycles (NLM) were the defacto place to go for spares, Stuart was a gentleman, his son Alex less so and got a poor reputation for ripping people off. I have lost touch with them over the years, but it is (or was) an incredibly tight knit community and everyone was so willing to help each other.
Good luck - let me know if you want that generator tool.

Really sorry to hear this. I have the same bike (but the PD Classic) in similar condition and I would be mortified if it were nicked. About 15 years ago, I had my beautiful tooled up Land Rover Defender 110 stolen from my drive. In Bradwell, Hope Valley, Derbyshire. Again it was bastards from Sheffield and Rotherham. The burgled the house for the keys when we were sleeping! Gas workers had been in a few days before and must have seen where we kept the keys in a drawer when they asked me to move it. Still miss it. But you move on. Fortunately insured with NFU and got a very reasonable payout. You've made me think about checking up on agreed value on my PD. I post a picture, but that would be rubbing it in. Take care.

This tank has just come up for sale in Harrogate, might be worth seeing if he has any more bits for sale. eBay item number 254778911681

This tank has just come up for sale in Harrogate, might be worth seeing if he has any more bits for sale. eBay item number 254778911681

Cheers for that but not my tank. Constantly searching, bikes, bits but fear it's gone...for now. Thanks all for looking

sorry to hear this mate... with regards the insurance value ... as others have said look to prove its worth the money, we all know they hold their value well ..stick at it

Bestaluck

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom