Refilling gas canisters

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone refill their small gas canisters . I find it a good saving buying the cheap 4 pack of tall butane / propane mix cylinders and then refill the 100 gram Coleman squat cans that fit into the cook set .

How exactly?

how do you fill and vent without venting the gas your putting in?

How exactly?

how do you fill and vent without venting the gas your putting in?
With an adaptor from eBay or Amazon. I start by accurately weighing a full canister and writing the weight on the bottom. I then carefully fill the empty one to just under the weight I previously wrote on the bottom.
Regarding venting, all that's in there when it's empty is a small amount of gas at presumably atmospheric pressure, no air.

Don’t forget to put receiver canister into freezer for 20 mins ,this helps with getting the most from the donor can into the receiver one .

Surely the pressure balances itself between both cylinders so you end up with 2 equal ones?

Surely the pressure balances itself between both cylinders so you end up with 2 equal ones?

Which is fine when the donor one has more gas but when it gets low there will be a point when you can't drain the last from it - so it's wasted unless you pull out Stove B and burn the dregs. So not quite a perfect solution to no waste surely?

Which is fine when the donor one has more gas but when it gets low there will be a point when you can't drain the last from it - so it's wasted unless you pull out Stove B and burn the dregs. So not quite a perfect solution to no waste surely?

That’s exactly what I was thinking but wasn’t convinced I was correct.

I used to play games with diving cylinders to take a small 2l pony tank that I used for short, tight, caves dives above test maximum and get a couple of extra minutes out of it but it was never the cleverest idea I had :blast

It worked and I went from a test limit of about 180 bar to 225 but I had a long hose linking the cylinders and kept a garage door between myself and the bomb :D

can you mix your own, a sort of Propane Acetylene cocktail..?

and would this offer a time saving on frying my bacon...?

youre actually transfering liquid gas ,the liquid gas boils and makes vapour which burns

So...they say if you get mad your blood can boil and smoke comes out of your head, if this is vapour can i set fire to it and do with out carting the pesky stove about, oh just thought wont be able to see how crispy the bacon is.:blast:blast

Back
Top Bottom