Oil or piss?!

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In Italy right now. Heading back later next week. Bike was it's old, smooth self after new plugs and lower coils

This morning, I've come out the house, walking pass bike, which I haven't ridden since arriving on Monday, and see a dark area on the rear bike tyre and rim. So of course I take a closer look. First thought is it's just condensation running off the cover onto the wheel. But no, it doesn't look like it on closer inspection.

The lower edge/face of the rear disc has some rust which seems associated with it. Doesn't feel oily - not particularly. Doesn't smell of oil, much. Whatever it is, it's a very very thin film.

I've had a good look at the rear end and there's zero evidence of oil, except the crud left after negotiating a very very wet ride to the tunnel on Sunday.

Anyone familiar with pissed on wheels by dogs, foxes it other wildlife??

After cleaning to find no oil and seeing the rust, I'm thinking it's piss!

88c9252cb6e06c91a71e326591854f5f.jpg
e9a9d2f01010680964ce762516e3ffc0.jpg
a9fb86aed95660952f089384eaa71040.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Well, you got me there

Err...my excuse is, I wouldn't know what the oil tastes like (not the piss either - before you get me on that one as well )

up till I saw it was the back wheel I was on cat pee 100% (caveat - that is if the brakes still work :okay)

although I get something fairly similar on the back wheel... first time they did a seal under warranty but it was all round … now I get it now and then. used to worry about it now don't care... only shows up if you don't clean it and the dust makes it stand out, usually more than just one spot though.... its the way they make 'em

only if you parked on the centre stand and if its slippery did it come out the diff... long hot trip, parked up just about possible.... if its not slippery its the cat pee - a cat's been doing that on my cars back wheel for 5 years looks just like it

up till I saw it was the back wheel I was on cat pee 100% (caveat - that is if the brakes still work :okay)

although I get something fairly similar on the back wheel... first time they did a seal under warranty but it was all round … now I get it now and then. used to worry about it now don't care... only shows up if you don't clean it and the dust makes it stand out, usually more than just one spot though.... its the way they make 'em

only if you parked on the centre stand and if its slippery did it come out the diff... long hot trip, parked up just about possible.... if its not slippery its the cat pee - a cat's been doing that on my cars back wheel for 5 years looks just like it
I'm thinking you're right. I've just joined some dots over here. There's a strong smell of cats around the front garden...so maybe I'm trespassing . For me, it's the rust mostly.

One of the reasons I had a niggle in my mind is that I have an idea the input seal is on its way out - found whisps of black in the FD oil within about 4wks - yes, 2 oil changes in 4wks, daft story. Figured I could get another 3.5k out of it before getting it up to Mikeyboy. But saying that, it's all dry up inside the cavities of the FD, so it's ok right now.

Brake fluid? JJH
Good thought actually. But all those parts seem dry and no evidence of its journey downward if there was.

Looks like a cats been marking its territory to me. Get the missus to taste it.....:D

This was definitely piss :pissl

Attachments

• C19A4625-3BD3-4376-BFB9-08734BE5CD18.jpeg
    C19A4625-3BD3-4376-BFB9-08734BE5CD18.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 496
Put your finger in the hole. If you find oil its from the 2 oil seals of the differential. It happens me last year

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Put your finger in the hole. If you find oil its from the 2 oil seals of the differential. It happens me last year

It isn't a differential it's a bevel final drive and if there is oil on the wheel due to a seal it's likely to be the large seal near the disc.

It isn't a differential it's a bevel final drive and if there is oil on the wheel due to a seal it's likely to be the large seal near the disc.
When you put on single stand its dropping oil from the hole. When you move for many km its wetting the tyre. It happens to me

Gear oil is well known to smell like cat piss.
But given that you are in foreign climes it could just be any number of strange and exotic mammalian wild life peeing on your wheel. :confused:
Good luck.

Clean it off and observe which, is what you have decided to do anyhow i guess.
Exactly . Not sure what else to try.

It's warm here so I'll take it out on Monday for a spin. Leave it and see what happens. Unless the cat comes back before then

Not sure which hole you mean? But all the cavities up, under the FD are dry. Thankfully

When you put on single stand its dropping oil from the hole. When you move for many km its wetting the tyre. It happens to me

I almost only ever keep it on the main stand/centre stand... On Monday I'll take it out and then observe afterwards.

But I'm on the piss idea right now...

Gear oil is well known to smell like cat piss.
But given that you are in foreign climes it could just be any number of strange and exotic mammalian wild life peeing on your wheel. :confused:
Good luck.
Yea. Exactly. I keep trying to think of what other creature it could be? Quite rural very close to here...I mean 150-200m and it's open countryside.

Back
Top Bottom