Heated grip overhauling

KP100

Reaction score
As I'm cheap , I don't want to buy a new heated grip for the throttle side. I have already repaired the wire type element, but it has broken again. It's now too short for soldering.
So this time I'm thinking of striping off the old grip and element for replacement. And try and refit new element wire. I'm wondering if any of you have done this? How did you bond the wire to the throttle tube? And get the new rubber grip on without breaking the element? Can it be done?

As I'm cheap , I don't want to buy a new heated grip for the throttle side. I have already repaired the wire type element, but it has broken again. It's now too short for soldering.
So this time I'm thinking of striping off the old grip and element for replacement. And try and refit new element wire. I'm wondering if any of you have done this? How did you bond the wire to the throttle tube? And get the new rubber grip on without breaking the element? Can it be done?

Resistance wire and heat resistant tape for the heating repair. Look it up, the tape is gold in colour, and comes in various widths. I think it might be referred to as Kapton tape. Just make sure it’s heat resistant. That way it will cover the wire element and not come unglued with the heat.

Resistance wire and heat resistant tape for the heating repair. Look it up, the tape is gold in colour, and comes in various widths. I think it might be referred to as Kapton tape. Just make sure it’s heat resistant. That way it will cover the wire element and not come unglued with the heat.

thanks. Ordered all that. Nichrome 80 0.1mm 38 Gauge AWG, new grips and Kapton tape.

Well that saved me a ton of money.
IMG-20201102-103630.jpg

IMG-20201102-124044-1.jpg

IMG-20201102-184427.jpg

Quick question. My heated grips work perfectly but after 110.000 miles the rubbers are very worn out,. How easy would it be to just replace the rubbers and how much and where did you get your replacements from?
Do I risk damaging the elements getting the old ones off and fitting the new ones?

Quick question. My heated grips work perfectly but after 110.000 miles the rubbers are very worn out,. How easy would it be to just replace the rubbers and how much and where did you get your replacements from?
Do I risk damaging the elements getting the old ones off and fitting the new ones?

You can remove them, but it would like conducting surgery. They are bonded to the plastic below .
If you peel it away very slowly, cutting as you go, after warming them up, you should be ok. The element wire is only .2mm thick so it is very easy to damage.
Problem will be getting a new grip on without moving of damaging the element wire. You would need a roll of that special tape.. Amazon had it here in 2 days.

I got the grips here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacem...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DFLPSV5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why not just put some grip-puppies over the top of your worn out grips. That will save a whole lot of work

https://grip-puppy.com/

I have put these on lots of bikes and work well

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I'll have a think about it, if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind.

Motorworks sell new grips HERE.

It's surprisingly easy to remove the old grips. Slice the end and then peel it off.

Use hairspray to fit the new grips. This helps them slide on, and when it dries (a couple of minutes) it acts as an adhesive keeping the grips in place. :thumb2

Just be careful when removing/cutting away the old ones.
I've done it twice. Annoying, but doable.

Motorworks sell new grips HERE.

It's surprisingly easy to remove the old grips. Slice the end and then peel it off.

Use hairspray to fit the new grips. This helps them slide on, and when it dries (a couple of minutes) it acts as an adhesive keeping the grips in place. :thumb2

Thanks steptoe. Maybe I'll have a look over winter.

And if you buy the Chinese jobbies on eBay they are as cheap as chips and exactly the same.

I have both and I know where I’ll be buying my next set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom