GS seat interchangeability

gog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Quick question for the collective. Looking for a single seat for an R100GS paralever. Will the seat from a G/S or basic fit without major modification, with the standard paralever tank and subframe?

52532307335 (52 53 2 307 335) - R100GS/PD single seat.

Motorworks says, "This single seat was standard for the Paris-Dakar model, but can be retrofitted to bikes with a dualseat also." £258 new. The R100GS dual seat fits the R80GS and PD (according to MAX BMW Fiche), but the R80G/S and R80GS single seats don't fit the R100GS which I find strange.

Motorworks SER35749 is a general ref to all secondhand single seats and they list other parts needed for single seats to fit the 100GS. Ring them?

The short answer is ‘no’. The G/S used a subframe that’s quite different to to paralever models. The Basic was a sort of hybrid of the two. The Basic subframe used a G/S type seat but the subframe itself was modified to fit the paralever frame especially as to the area around the rear shock which is a different angle to the monolever G/S. I’ve owned and worked on all three models and also built a Basic replica so I’m reasonably up on the differences. You’ll also be aware that the single seat option for the G/S uses a rack that’s bolted to the seat and the two bits fit as per the original dual seat whereas the paralever single seat uses a rack that is fixed to the subframe and remains in place when the seat is removed to access the battery. The seat catch for the paralever single seat is repositioned forward and the G/S seat catch stays in the original place.

thanks both. i am mostly interested in whether it butts up to the standard GS tank with the ‘tang’ going into the frame tube and seat fitting flush against the tank. i believe the ‘basic’ seat sits on the GS subframe ok. i will be altering the subframe anyway with a rack and whatever is needed to attach/lock the seat.

thanks both. i am mostly interested in whether it butts up to the standard GS tank with the ‘tang’ going into the frame tube and seat fitting flush against the tank. i believe the ‘basic’ seat sits on the GS subframe ok. i will be altering the subframe anyway with a rack and whatever is needed to attach/lock the seat.
I’ve done it the other way round. I’ve fitted a paralever tank to a G/S and the seat butted up ok.

Paralever tank is vertical at the rear, g/s tank (or ST) tank is sloped at the rear, so the g/s seat has a slope at the front, whilst the paralever seat is vertical to butt up against the vertical rear of the tank.

This means that if you fit the g/s seat to a paralever tank, the two profiles will not match.
After saying that, I have a paralever tank on my ST hybrid with the g/s style seat, and the gap is not too bad IMHO, but others may not like the gap that is left.

Keep us updated with how you get on.

Back
Top Bottom