OSM maps - artefacts/lines on maps

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just downloaded some maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl, (now downloading by country only, no tile selection).

I loaded them into Basecamp, but most of them show these horizontal lines across some or all of the map - like this:

Anyone else seeing this, is it something on my set up? Or, is there an alternative source for the OSM maps

screencapture

ps - it not just on this map of Finland, but quite a few different countries - here again for Albania

Which download did you choose ??
I think I chose wrong once and got that type
Try generic routable new style

Hope that works = delete other download first

We aim to please.

I am still unsure (have no idea) why OSM are not allowing / cannot allow individual map tiles to be downloaded. I guess anyone going to say Moscow, is (apparently) forced to download the whole of Russia. This problem and note about their server issue popped up a couple of months or more ago, still without a fix. But that's a separate issue and off-topic.

Thanks all. I'm just trying the "mapnik" typ now. It doesn't allow a direct download, you have to enter an email address and then get a link when the map is compiled, which I'm waiting for now.

I'm trying to download maps for Scandi (Scandi TET for next year, maybe) and the map tiles overlap. I'll try to edit the combined maps in GPSMap to see if I can get to one single map for Scandi with no overlapping tiles

Problem solved - and Wapping's post answers why the Finland map showed the most of those lines, as it's 90% forest!

Thanks all!

Excellent. Yup, trees and lakes. Lots of them, particularly when you get to Finland.

If you do work out how to edit down the tiles, please give a good explanation how here, please.

Thanks all. I'm just trying the "mapnik" typ now. It doesn't allow a direct download, you have to enter an email address and then get a link when the map is compiled, which I'm waiting for now.

I'm trying to download maps for Scandi (Scandi TET for next year, maybe) and the map tiles overlap. I'll try to edit the combined maps in GPSMap to see if I can get to one single map for Scandi with no overlapping tiles

If I remember correctly JaVaWa can sort overlapping tiles.

If I remember correctly JaVaWa can sort overlapping tiles.

It tells you they are there (that's how I know) but I don't see a way of using Java to fix it, but I'd be happy to find I'm wrong since the other methods aren't very good - changing the tiles with the GMAP tool loses search capability and reassembling the maps using Mapinstall is a fiddle.

Ping a note to the owners of Open Street Map or onto their forum, asking how it might be done, would be my suggestion. While there, ask them to fix their server issue, please.

It tells you they are there (that's how I know) but I don't see a way of using Java to fix it, but I'd be happy to find I'm wrong since the other methods aren't very good - changing the tiles with the GMAP tool loses search capability and reassembling the maps using Mapinstall is a fiddle.

JaVaWa also listed OSMCombiner which is no longer developed but is still available from https://www.javawa.nl/osmcombiner_en.html I last tried it some years ago and found it very prone to failing with a heap allocator error. I suspect that it needs huge amounts of memory to run in.

Out of curiosity I downloaded UK and Ireland maps from OSM last night. JaVaWa GMTK told me the two maps had overlapping tiles which it couldn't fix for me. I've just downloaded and installed OSMConverter and the UK and Ireland as .zip files. Once I'd given it enough memory it combined and renamed the two zips then installed it so Basecamp could see it. It will almost certainly need a bit of tinkering with but it does, at least under Windows 10 with a reasonable computer, appear to work although the lines the OP commented on are definitely present. I might, again out of idle curiosity, try following the instructions above to see if I can get rid of them.

Ping a note to the owners of Open Street Map or onto their forum, asking how it might be done, would be my suggestion. While there, ask them to fix their server issue, please.

I did so, and posted up on GPS general info

I saw that, thank you.

For all its alleged sins, at least Garmin keeps on going. OSM appears to be dying.

I saw that, thank you.

For all its alleged sins, at least Garmin keeps on going. OSM appears to be dying.

Yes, and in use the Garmin maps are often better. If they could come up with a better licence model, like one subscription for 5 devices instead of per device or per non updateable card users would be happier.

I want to add City Navigator Europe maps to my 276cx, but wanted them updateable. According to the garmin help desk, I can buy numaps lifetime for it for £75. Its not how the licencenreads but they assure me it will work, so I'll try it. If it does work its a good way to add maps to devices that don't ship with them like Montana's.

I didn’t know that the separate £75 * purchase allowed lifetime downloads of maps into other devices. It will be interesting to hear if it does what they say it does. I guess that Garmin got pee’ed off with bods (there were several on this site alone) ripping off copies of the maps and distributing them, so they made the maps device specific. Of course the bods did not regard it as theft, as they do not steal things. Pirate copies are not theft, no sir, that’s plunder.

It’s interesting that several of the ‘Must use’ alternatives to Garmin have died a death. The much vaunted ‘By bikers, for bikers’ site MotoGoLoco closed down, the owners refusing to answer queries. Now MyRoute (I think it is) has lost its ability to use Google maps.

* Cue: “That’s a bloody rip-off, mate. Feck ‘em”

Just an update to this, there is no option for lifetime/numaps unless the maps are already on the device.

All you can buy is a card or one-time download.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom