Inspection camera

daytripper!

Reaction score
Screwfix has a range of inspection cameras with £70 Magnusson being the cheapest. Appear to be good for internal inspection of engines, looking for pipes / cables inside cavities inc stud walls & soffits etc. Anybody got one of these things? All the camera wands look errr limp so once you have put them through the engine plug hole or hole in the plasterboard am not sure how you can move the camera to look all around (ie pre-bend the wand), which is kinda the point of doing an inspection! :nenau TIA

I have one that I got from Aldi. It was half price at £15, it would have been rude not to buy it.
Not used on engines but has helped me see some pipework under floor boards.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

The Aldi purchase sounds like a bargain! But once you pushed the camera thru the hole in the floorboards whatever, how did you move the camera around to scan the void, also, is everything further than say 12" away from the camera blurry or is everything in focus?? Thks DT

Lidl having some for sale this thursday. £40.
The camera is quite restricted range as it has to retain focus for really close places (as in inside an engine)
I will try to get a sample picture for you.

Label inside my gas fire..

Sample
4970a4de94b94746e52303d2220d29e9.jpg

Gas fire valve. Gives an idea of how it can work. (with light on)
29b704aa0fbcf2b9261394ff2458cb86.jpg

Thks Joca. Googled the Parkside Lidl camera [1] and it seems to be more comprehensive than the SFix Magnussan for less £. I note the wand / swan neck on the Parkside Lidl camera is semi-ridged so you can pre-bend so camera looks in the direction you want to see inside the void, engine bay etc. One of the replies on the Parkside YTube review mentions endoscope kits that utilise your smartphone to give higher quality for less cost [2] so now there is a choice DOH!
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfZcRSLhwP4
[2] https://www.toolstation.com/draper-...stLsq7yx7AIV0u7tCh1TnAeIEAQYAiAB EgJLr_D_BwE[video]https://www.toolstation.com/draper-wi-fi-endoscope/p44614?store=W3&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIstLsq7yx7AIV0u7tCh1TnAeIEAQYAiAB EgJLr_D_BwE[/video]

Yes. Should also have some tip accessories like a hook and I think mine can connect to a laptop..
It also takes pictures... To on-board memory...

I've got one of the £10 quid ones from Aliexpress.
It plugs into the USB-c port on my smart phone, and you use an app to view the image, and you can capture either video or still images.

It works very well, with the 1st meter of the cable being semi rigid and the other 2 M being flexible.
I've used it to diagnose a burnt piston on a mates bike in Austria last year.

Be careful as you can get different sizes of lens, with 10mm being the usual. I went for an 8mm lens/head size

Last edited:
So, the camera / wand terminates in a wireless device that communicates with the mob phone via an app. Does this require much settings up? Asks the luddite with the android smartphone with only 2 'apps' downloaded in 3 yrs and one of those was put on by Tesco when I got the SIM !

Not quite.
It plugs into the charging port on your phone, and you run an App called OTG Viewer.
This only works if your Android phone is new enough. You can download the free App and it checks your phone for you.

HTH
Neil

Back
Top Bottom