Fitment of Rally Raid soft luggage racks to G310GS

Lee Frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone fitted any to their bike?
I bought a set and fitted them at the weekend, but the fit looks wrong - the bottom of the rack is virtually touching the Scorpion tailpipe, yet the same set up on the RR website clearly shows a gap. I spoke to John Mitchinson at RR yesterday and emailed some pics over and even he's not sure! The racks are fitted correctly, with the spacers in the right order, and the exhaust hasn't been bent/damaged - it's like new!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 10.49.09.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 10.49.09.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 767
  • Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 10.49.04.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 10.49.04.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 749
Is it the same size can? In the RR pics the top of the can seems to be almost same height as the tyre, yours looks higher, but that could be the photo angle.

Is it the same size can? In the RR pics the top of the can seems to be almost same height as the tyre, yours looks higher, but that could be the photo angle.

I think it's just the angle. I'm not aware that RR have changed the can and they didn't say they had when I spoke to them yesterday. I think my tailpipe is angled higher, but there's only one Scorpion system available for the bike so I don't see how it can be - exhausts aren't exactly flexible!

Lee, could it be that the exhaust system was bent previously?
If the lower part of system was bent it will influence the angle of the Scorpion.

Lee, could it be that the exhaust system was bent previously?
If the lower part of system was bent it will influence the angle of the Scorpion.

The exhaust is unmarked Steve, so unless it was professionally re-shaped (if that's even possible), there's no chance of that. I know that with the Honda CB500X Rally Raid there's a high level Scorpion exhaust option but if you fit it, you can't fit the soft luggage racks from RR. I'm not aware of that being the case with the G310. Another issue is that I fitted a tool tube bought from RR on the inside of the opposite luggage rack, using the fixings RR sold with the tube - there's only one place it can be fitted on either rack - and the indicator obscures the tube so it has to be bent out of the way to take the lid off! If you look at the shots above from the RR website, there's clearly space between the flasher and the tool tube. It's as if the geometry of my bike is different to theirs! I've asked the dealer I brought the bike from to contact the previous owner and ask him if he had any modifications done to the bike and/or exhaust. I'm also waiting for John Mitchinson at Rally Raid to get back to me with his thoughts! Weird!

The exhaust is unmarked Steve, so unless it was professionally re-shaped (if that's even possible), there's no chance of that. I know that with the Honda CB500X Rally Raid there's a high level Scorpion exhaust option but if you fit it, you can't fit the soft luggage racks from RR. I'm not aware of that being the case with the G310. Another issue is that I fitted a tool tube bought from RR on the inside of the opposite luggage rack, using the fixings RR sold with the tube - there's only one place it can be fitted on either rack - and the indicator obscures the tube so it has to be bent out of the way to take the lid off! If you look at the shots above from the RR website, there's clearly space between the flasher and the tool tube. It's as if the geometry of my bike is different to theirs! I've asked the dealer I brought the bike from to contact the previous owner and ask him if he had any modifications done to the bike and/or exhaust. I'm also waiting for John Mitchinson at Rally Raid to get back to me with his thoughts! Weird!

Strange.
I wondered if the Scorpion was possibly a replacement for a badly damaged original end can. I seem to remember the whole system is very solidly mounted but it's still possible the lower mounting and/or pipe is slightly out of line.

It's the full Scorpion system Steve - I have the original exhaust as well!

would that be a bent foot rest hanger or sub frame ! /

Do you have a view similar to the manufacturers image for yours as Id suggest theirs has more rake on the plate so sits further out at the bottom?

Do you have a view similar to the manufacturers image for yours as Id suggest theirs has more rake on the plate so sits further out at the bottom?

I agree with you Andi - I think that could be the problem. The racks fitted perfectly in terms of lining up with the required fixing points on the bike so it must be the angle of the rack plates. Maybe I’ve been sent a duff set!!! Hoping to find out tomorrow.

would that be a bent foot rest hanger or sub frame ! /

Doubt it as the fixing points on the bike lined up perfectly with the fixing points on the luggage ravks on both sides. If anything was bent, that wouldn’t be the case.

Lee, Did you ever get a resolution ... or even closure ... with the rack?

Hi Stephen,
No! Racks went back to Rally Raid and they the same as the older set on their bike, so they’ve contacted Scorpion to find out if they changed the design of the exhaust system. I’m waiting to hear back from RR. It’s a mystery to them as well as me, but I’m sure we’ll get to the bottom of it!

UPDATE: After 5 months of to-ing and fro-ing, I've finally sorted this problem with the Rally Raid soft luggage rack being way too close to the Scorpion tailpipe on my G310.
Rally Raid Products acknowledged there was a problem after a few customers contacted them with the same issue and they removed the racks from sale on their website while they investigated. They then modified the rack on the exhaust side and it did the trick on some bikes, but not mine. They modified it even more and it still didn't work. No idea why, but I live too far away from RR for them to see the bike and try to figure it out.
In the end John at RR suggested I try reversing the hanger that secures the Scorpion tailpipe to the bike. Due to the design of the hanger, this pulled the tailpipe in closer to the rear wheel and, hey presto, not only created a gap between the rack and tailpipe, but also meant that the rack cleared the tailpipe so any soft pannier fitted to it wouldn't be at risk of resting on it and probably melting!
Doing this created another problem in itself - the hanger isn't a true 'Y' shape so the mounting holes no longer line-up (they’re about 45mm apart). I sorted that temporarily with a piece of flat plate to join then together, though I've asked John at RR if he'll fabricate a new hanger that will line up correctly.
If you have Rally Raid soft luggage racks on your G310 and they look like mine did when I first fitted them - see the pics I posted at the beginning of this thread - then I'd suggest you do the same as I did, otherwise you're likely to lose the contents of your pannier down the road if the tailpipe melts a nice big hole in it! Having the pannier rack clear of the tailpipe also means that it will offer more protection to the tailpipe in the event of a spill.
The attached pics show how my rack now looks in relation to the exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2059.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 174
I bought one of those a while back Stephen - just need to strap it on!
Just make sure you do strap it on tight enough so it doesn't move with the luggage in place - no matter how much it makes you wince ... again - you can trust me on this. It's another reason why I see my life as a lesson to those that take the time to learn from others' mistakes. :blast

Back
Top Bottom