BMW F800GSA Clunking

grahn

Reaction score
Wondered if anyone who has 17 tooth front sprocket (1 tooth up from oem) has metal clunking sound from the chain/clutch. Checked chain slack on 4cm, front sprocket bolt tight. Readjusted chain down to 3cm which is tighter than the 3.5cm spec but should be ok as doing high miles 500m week at the moment. All I could surmise is given the bigger front sprocket less chain clearance below it where the chain rolls over the chain guide, maybe the slack chain is clunking on clutch pulls. On 17000 miles 1st chain trying to last until the rear tyre needs replacing.

If you're always over-tightening your chain you will end up with a few issues, the clunking sound is probably the "you overtightened me you twat" early warning :D

There isn't a, I'm doing a lot of miles this weekend setting for a chain, it's either at the right tension or not.

If you're always over-tightening your chain you will end up with a few issues, the clunking sound is probably the "you overtightened me you twat" early warning :D

There isn't a, I'm doing a lot of miles this weekend setting for a chain, it's either at the right tension or not.

I found my 650 was a bit delicate in terms of tension, always ended up being a little slacker than standard.

If you have fitted a larger (new) front sprocket onto an original (cream cheese) and worn chain then that is your issue. worn chain not meshing properly with the new sprocket.

I have fitted a 17 tooth sprocket at the same time as a new rear and chain and if anything it is quieter and the larger front gives the chain an easier time.

A caveat is if you have been running the new sprocket with a worn chain for any length of time then you will need to change the front one again at the same time as the rear one and chain as it will cause premature chain wear to a new chain

I changed my front sprocket at 9K for an extra tooth. Rode to day and bad clunking/transmission noise gone after tightening chain. Yes it did sound like chain slop on the front sprocket. So 4cm is to slack 1 tooth up. Im touching 18K on orginal chain. Have new rear sprocket and chain, have to order another front sprocket. Was hoping to rear Mich Anakee to wear out but it wont. the fronts dont last long. That 21 hoop puts a lot of wear on the center ridin the slab. Got a new Mitas Terra force R on cost £70 My tyres. So I think 4cm is to slack on a 1up tooth front even though the spec says 3.5 -4cm. but I ride slab miles no offroad so the suspention isnt stretched.

"The chain slaps on the swingarm, making a god awful noise." I agree but is this normal? There is a chain guide on the swinging arm below/behind the front sprocket. How many miles does this last? If you have chain slap it's to loose then?

It doesn't on mine & I run the chain relatively slack.

I still think you have a few stiff links in a chain nearing the end of it's life. Fit a new chain/sprockets & you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom