Forest of Bowland-Yorkshire Dales Route

Pa16

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good routes or recommendations for the following ride.

Will be starting in Ribchester (Lancashire)
Then have in mind...
Dunsop Bridge
Trough of Bowland
Quernmore
Ingleton

Then from Ingleton onwards is all new for me, would like some sort of loop, ready to hit the A59 back to Ribchester.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any good routes or recommendations for the following ride.

Will be starting in Ribchester (Lancashire)
Then have in mind...
Dunsop Bridge
Trough of Bowland
Quernmore
Ingleton

Then from Ingleton onwards is all new for me, would like some sort of loop, ready to hit the A59 back to Ribchester.

Cheers

OS landranger 98 & 103 will give you all the information you need, it’s much more interesting plotting your own route rather than asking others, hope this helps.

Stay in Bowland would be my advice.

Way From Ingleton pick up any of several minor roads towards High Bentham then take the road over the top to Slaidburn. In Slaidburn turn left through the Village over the river, up the hill and continue for 3-4 miles to the next left turn. Back over the moors to meet the A65 near Clapham. A65 south for a bit to Long Preston and look for a hidden right turn for the B6478 to Slaidburn again. At Newton in Bowland take the left them the first left as you go up the other side of the valley. At the T junction at the end do a right to come out by the Inn at Whitewell. Left and follow signs to longridge and Ribchester.

OS landranger 98 & 103 will give you all the information you need, it’s much more interesting plotting your own route rather than asking others, hope this helps.

Couldn’t agree more
Paper maps are the way forward

Ribchester to Longridge
Longridge to Jeffrey Hill via Longridge Golf Club on Forty Acre Lane and head for Dunsop Rd to Whitewell and Dunsop Bridge.

Given the choice at Dunsop Bridge, I’d head for Slaidburn rather than the Trough. Trough is only really interesting for the few miles to Quernmore, then you’ve limited options after Caton that involve main roads and traffic.

Slaidburn is a nice spot for a coffee on the green but, from there, head up Lythe Fell Road to Bentham and onwards to Ingleton.

For the return route, follow the A65 for a couple of miles to Clapham, then go cross-country to Keasden and follow the road South to Stocks Reservoir (you may have seen this in the distance from Lythe Fell Road at one point). At B6476, turn right to Slaidburn again (brew stop...?) and onwards to Newton in Bowland. Turn left here and head for Waddington and pick you route back to Ribchester from there.

Pretty much the route I'd suggest.
Longridge to Chipping then to Whitewell & Dunsop Bridge > Newton-In-Bowland > Lythe Fell Road but turn down to Lowgill > Long Lane to Low Bentham > Burton Road to Burton In Lonsdale > Ireby Road to Ireby junction A65 > Ingelton > Ribblehead > Settle > Clapham > Keasden > Bolton By Bowland > Sawley > Grindleton > Clitheroe > Hurst Green > Ribchester.

Where in Lancashire are you?

Ribchester to Longridge
Longridge to Jeffrey Hill via Longridge Golf Club on Forty Acre Lane and head for Dunsop Rd to Whitewell and Dunsop Bridge.

Given the choice at Dunsop Bridge, I’d head for Slaidburn rather than the Trough. Trough is only really interesting for the few miles to Quernmore, then you’ve limited options after Caton that involve main roads and traffic.

Slaidburn is a nice spot for a coffee on the green but, from there, head up Lythe Fell Road to Bentham and onwards to Ingleton.

For the return route, follow the A65 for a couple of miles to Clapham, then go cross-country to Keasden and follow the road South to Stocks Reservoir (you may have seen this in the distance from Lythe Fell Road at one point). At B6476, turn right to Slaidburn again (brew stop...?) and onwards to Newton in Bowland. Turn left here and head for Waddington and pick you route back to Ribchester from there.

Guys, thanks for the replies

Put a route together yesterday, from all the advice given..

Worked out perfect, we had odd patches of showers but didn’t spoil the ride

Thanks again

I ride over there pretty often, stopping in the car park at Slaidburn for a cuppa, as you do :)
Actually its a good place to meet up because its a good starting point for many a ride.

I live in Milnrow near Rochdale, today i went the other way to Darwent Dam and Lady Bowers, then north east to Hebden bridge then back down Huddersfield Road towards home.
Fantastic weather today.

I ride over there pretty often, stopping in the car park at Slaidburn for a cuppa, as you do :)
Actually its a good place to meet up because its a good starting point for many a ride.

I live in Milnrow near Rochdale, today i went the other way to Darwent Dam and Lady Bowers, then north east to Hebden bridge then back down Huddersfield Road towards home.
Fantastic weather today.

Just seen this post and have a similar route planned for when I can escape the wife. I know Milnrow well as I am just round the corner in Smallbridge - small world.

I just head up there and take a road that looks interesting, usually I'm lost for most of the day, but find some really interesting roads/tracks/the odd field. Only use satnav to find my way home.

Back
Top Bottom