High idle hanging Idle 2007 12gsa

KtoR

Reaction score
Hello and greetings from Australia.
I am having issues...
Just got back from a 2000km dirt ride, while away i noticed that periodically the idle would hang at 2000rpm instead of coming all the way back, there was no pattern to it.Sometimes it would do it sometimes not
When i got home, I cleaned everything i could, there was some slight oily sludge (Probably due to over oiling air filter) in throttle body intakes and idle motor ports.

My problem now, is, when it is returning to idle, it just seems to hang a while between 1750 and the 1100rpm. IE when i let the throttle off from higher in the rev range it comes straight back down to about 1750 rpm then sort of holds there for a split second then drops very slowly.

Any ideas?

Here's something else i just noticed,
If i turn the bike on with key and start it, it idles ok to start with.
if i turn bike off with kill switch and then back on and start bike it idles at 1750-2000.

I have reset throttle bodies vacuum gauge spot on at 3500rpm
recalibrated Idle Acutators
sprayed around throttle bodies looking for leaks.
disconnected/reconnected battery and twisted throttle multiple times
reset adaptions

I will adjust valves tomorrow and spray kill switch with contact cleaner... is there something I'm missing?

(its a 2007 r1200adv
powercommander fuel controller fitted
remus
no cat
been dyno tuned
unifilter)

When the RPM is hanging how many steps are the stepper motors reading and are they both reading the same.
A physical look is required as there is not a feedback sensor fitted. The ECU makes the command to the number of steps but there is no position feedback to the ecu, so one actuator can be open further than it should be and the ecu does not know.
Is the Throttle position sensor reading Zero with the throttle closed when it hangs.
I always balance the throttle bodies just as it comes off idle as I feel this is the critical point and balanced with minimal air flow.
I assume that you have checked for free play in both throttle cables when it hangs.

Problems solved.
Took some thinking and a couple of phone calls

1 Pcfc had fuel added (25-38%?) at 0%throttle but 1250 1500 and 1750 rev range, this is done to help eliminate popping by drowning the flame. i reduced the figures and now revs return to idle much quicker and has actually reduced popping.

2. TPS needed resetting, but not with GS911, with PCFC as that is what the TPS is plugged into...(doh)

3. High revs on start up....dont use kill switch, use key.

how long has the power commander been on it..... When I fitted mine the throttle setting was way out. I suspect this is why its idling high....

how long has the power commander been on it..... When I fitted mine the throttle setting was way out. I suspect this is why its idling high....

I removed the PCFC and reinstalled O2 sensors. varied change.

I still have the issue, seems to be less in colder conditions but still there.

Ive recently:
Cleaned injectors
reset valves
new filter
cleaned throttle bodies and air filter box.

Reset tps and adaptations more than once (using different orders and processes)

Problem has no pattern of how or when it manifests.

Sometimes worse than others. Still has issue of idling much higher I kill switch is used instead of key...

Lithium battery wouldn't cause this would it? realtime readings show battery all good nd alternator working well...

Still at a loss

Have ordered new (Chinese) tips to see if it makes a difference

My 2 options would be the TPS which you say you are going to replace, there is a popular myth about twisting the throttle to recalibrate the TPS this was applicable to the earlier bikes (oilhead) the 1200 will read from 0 to 100% out of the box and is not adjustable.
The next thing that I would check would be the air temperature sensor in the airbox if the resistance is reading saying that it is a lot colder than it is it will richen the mixture and increase the rpm.
Best thing is to record a real time data set, using a GS911 this would help diagnose the problem.

My 2 options would be the TPS which you say you are going to replace, there is a popular myth about twisting the throttle to recalibrate the TPS this was applicable to the earlier bikes (oilhead) the 1200 will read from 0 to 100% out of the box and is not adjustable.
The next thing that I would check would be the air temperature sensor in the airbox if the resistance is reading saying that it is a lot colder than it is it will richen the mixture and increase the rpm.
Best thing is to record a real time data set, using a GS911 this would help diagnose the problem.

Thanks,

Ill try to figure out how to record real time data next time I get the chance to play in the shed.

Cheers

Hello again.

Ive replaced the Balance shaft seal hoping that might resolve the issue...(sarcasm)...it didn't.
Replaced tps with 2 different Chinese ones. makes idling ok but stalls on return to idle, I reset ups...disconnect battery etc etc.

I have been playing with the GS911 and can see TPS return to 0 immediately....in line with revs dropping. but revs taper out as you'd expect with revs not returning to appro1200.

What data should I try to capture to analyse to see where the issue is?

Any other advise appreciated

I was going to PM you my email address so that you could attach the GS911 ( .csv ) data file where the problem was occurring.
As you are not a subscriber I am unable to PM you.

mine JUST started a random high idle

99% of the time its the usual just too slow 1200rpm - but in the last 3 weeks on three occasions its running where you want it for anti-stall and better gear changes (around 1700)

I was going to PM you my email address so that you could attach the GS911 ( .csv ) data file where the problem was occurring.
As you are not a subscriber I am unable to PM you.

Anyway here's an update...
Had software updated, issue still there, probably more consistent now
Changed battery from lithium back to AGM...Just incase volts were to high and causing issue.
Km have been flashing for a while, BMSK is different to Kombi. Kombi(dash) has 53000km showing which is correct, BMSK says about 5000km. Dealer was stumped and waiting feed back from BMW.
Another thing I've noticed is if I reset av speed while holding a speed, they (Actual speed and av)are 5km out. whether its 80kmph or 110kmph.
It seems its if I rev the bike when its cold it doesn't do it, if I put it in gear and do it(on centre stand) it seems to make the issue occur.

Seems wheel speed/running temperature have are playing a part in this problem.

I dont get a great deal of time to work on the bike, but when I figure out how to consistently down load CSV files Ill pay for the subscription and hopefully Mistacat can shed some light.

the later map that was released in mid 2008 and as usual was NEVER applied to any vehicles in the UK - does seem a little less nasty down the bottom, but still has lots of glitches that need smoothing out - as I've been rambling for ages I had loads of hell after it went on - but it appears the TPS was at least a part of the fun - and now E10 introduces at least as much hell to the mix as the BMW later remap might have taken off

theses dealers are absolute criminals, I was just in asking about a recall on another BM bike I have and mentioned it seems slower after the i-level update - and he point blank says, well it can't be the update BMW don't update maps

in my head - I'm like this guy truly believes the lies he's spouting - the dealer training hypnosis must really work - as every BM bike I've had (4), have all had an engine map update and I can see i-level 2022-03-504 included an engine map update for this other bike and its the 3rd one the bikes had - you can see it on my GS911

if u have a GS911 I'd wipe the adaptions and start again running esso 99 if you can (with 0% ethanol) and ride about and let it settle for a few runs (turning it off with key for at least 30 seconds - so it saves correctly) - mine was very odd till this action was done 2 years late - after they'd never bothered twice before !!!

funny mine today was idling nicely at 1500 rpm instead of its standard 1150 rpm stutter and shake - hasn't idled as well ever - or indeed done that speed for at least 3 months - got to love 'em

Back
Top Bottom