Bike insurance and hypertension

Read my post the insurance company or broker has no legal right to personal medical information or conditions other than those which the dvla legally require to be made aware of that are directly related to your physical or mental ability to safely drive a motor vehicle on a public road.
They can ask you any questions they like. You're not obliged to answer them and they're not obliged to offer cover.

Read my post the insurance company or broker has no legal right to personal medical information or conditions other than those which the dvla legally require to be made aware of that are directly related to your physical or mental ability to safely drive a motor vehicle on a public road.

You don’t need to break the law to break a contract.

The insurer is not doing anything illegal. It is also ‘illegal’ (in some circumstances) to demand someone’s age but they do that, too. As I said, take it up with the FCA if you feel strongly enough or just tell the chimp on the phone to feck off and go do one.

As usual it all boils down to nothing more than how the question is asked. For example, do you suffer from any diseases / medical conditions that are noticeable to the DVLA? Is not the same as asking if you suffer from any diseases / conditions that (though controlled) are advisable to the DVLA. Which is not the same as asking: Do you suffer from any of the following.... followed by a list of the conditions / diseases that are notifiable.

Of course it is entirely up to the individual how they chose to answer (or not) the questions.

Ok, out of curiosity, say someone fails to declare that their bike has a set of cruiser (ie forward fitted comfort) footpegs or that they have a managed health condition like hypertension and following an accident the undeclared 'modification / condition' is discovered. Is that a problem if the cause of the accident is completely unconnected?

Back
Top Bottom