Hexhead transmission codes.

Nick V

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
According to the information I have, there are only four different gear ratio configurations across the entire BMW Hexhead range:

Config 1: Applies to R1200S, R1200ST, HP2 Enduro and HP2 Megamoto.
Config 2: Applies to all RnineT variants, all R1200R variants, R1200GS, 'normal' R1200GS Adventure and R1200RT.
Config 3: Applies to R1200GS Adventure with optional 'Enduro' gearbox, and R1200RT Authorities (Identical to Config 2, except for shorter 1st gear).
Config 4: Unique to HP2 Sport.

Does anybody know whether or not BMW applied specific transmission codes to these transmissions, the same way they assigned codes M93, M94 and M97 to Oilhead transmissions? I can't find any such information anywhere.

Thanks in advance! :aidan

you could always spec a short first ratio "enduro" option

I rode one with the black cylinder barrels at BM park lane had, I'd ridden up on mine and always knew with its pathetic fueling and lack of decent power you have to abuse the nasty car clutch in heavy traffic. Took the enduro spec one out (I believe it was one of their staff who commuted in and always spec'd his bike with that option), I did 3 or 4 miles in heavy traffic before I remembered to notice if it was better. It had just been normal (Unlike the stock bikes....) When I thought about it you had to change down to first later... I always blip on downshifts, but you could get a big clonk if you weren't thinking.

Always felt that should be std.... but since getting my PC3 on the original map so the engine actually runs below 3.5k rpm... and now making progress on the disaster later map... when the engine actually gets fueling it needs they actually need a longer first gear... (would be even better they if fitted a real clutch - not the release its self joke on the LC ones !)

I thought the RTs did it with the ratio of the Bevel

I thought the RTs did it with the ratio of the Bevel

The Hexhead bikes used a total of five different final-drive ratios. Source for the following info is the BMW dealer parts fiche:

R1200ST and 'civilian' R1200RT: 2.62:1
R1200S, HP2 Sport, R1200RT Authorities, R1200R and R1200R Classic (2010-2012 only): 2.75:1
HP2 Enduro, HP2 Megamoto, R1200GS Adventure (2004-2007 only): 2.82:1
All RnineT variants, R1200 GS, R1200GS Adventure (2008-2012 only): 2.91:1
R900RT Authorities: 3.00:1

So, yes: The R1200RT Authorities uses the 'Enduro' gear set in combination with a lower final-drive ratio.

Has anyone been luckier / more well-informed than I have re. Hexhead transmission codes? I'm interested in being able to easily identify transmissions that are apart from bikes (i.e. in 'breakers yard'-type situations). Asking the yard owner gets you a shrug and a bland "They're all the same. Pick one."

Back
Top Bottom