How to get a GOPX file (ACT Portugal) into my Garmin AND USE IT (!

blambo

Reaction score
Hi, (sorry for the typo, of course I mean GPX file )
I am really struggling with this.
I can see the GPX file sitting on my Macbook and I have used the POI loader to send it to my Garmin 340LM.
Now what ?
I can't find anything in the Sat Nav that looks like it's about Portugal, or see my file on the device in Basecamp.
Sorry to be dumb.

Is it just me, or is GArmin SW hard to use ?
I am utterly confused about the multiple tools (Basecamp/Express/POI Loader) and never know which I should be using.

Mike F650GS Dakar.

Load the GPX file into Basecamp and use Basecamp to transfer the route to the unit. Can’t help with the Mac aspects of this,but read the GPS section for help and check a few videos on YouTube. There is a bit of a learning curve with Basecamp but it’s very good once you master some of it, then you can build on that knowledge. Good luck!

OK, I've got the file into Basecamp.
Thanks for the help; I was stuffed by finding instructions on the web to use the POILoader.
Like I said, previously HTF a newbie is supposed to know which Garmin tool to use to do what was beyond me; the answer is:- Ask a man who knows :)

I'll dig the Garmin out tomorrow and get it on there from Basecamp.
Thanks a Million, I just needed a 'start', I was banging my head against a wall.
Mike

The Favourites are on the machine but...

It's just a list of points which show in order of distance from me.
I was hoping that Trip Planner would ask me to import the Route so I could select it from 'Where To'.
Off to YouTube...

And then I found each day in Tracks and used the 'spanner' (top left of screen) to get the option to convert the Track into a Trip.
Simples!
And it's 'only' 06:10...

The KISS principle works here Mike :type

All you need to do is copy your named .gpx file and paste it in the folder called GPX ( which is a SUB folder to the Garmin folder) EITHER in the units' own memory OR if you create a folder called GPX off the Garmin root folder on your micro SD card if it has one.
Either/Or works but don't put the same gpx file in both!

So if your computer sees the Garmin sd card say as D: drive, then
make a folder D:\Garmin\GPX and put the file in there.
Job done

p.s

POI loader does just that- it can send POI files in .csv format (if you build your own) and / or / combined gpx and .csv to your satnav
Garmin Express is used to keep your unit up to date (correcting endless cock-ups from garmin software numpties:blast)
Basecamp give you a graphical interface so that you can build routes, see maps, create waypoints blah blah blah etc etc etc and yes it will take some learning.

GPX Transfer

Hi
The comments above are correct but if you plug your garmin into your computer and cannot see it as a Disk Drive ie you can see all the files you must change the MTP settings.

To change Garmin GPS to Mass Storage.

1. Bring up the volume screen on the GPS.

2. On the upper right hand corner. Press your finger on screen and hold for appx 10 seconds.

3. Shortly you will see the developers screen.

4. Find MTP Settings and touch it.

5. It will show 3 selections. MTP Auto Detect,Mass Storage and Mass Storage Single Session.

6. Touch Mass Storage as your selection.

7. Now select save and you are good to go.

Safe Riding

This would be better off in the GPS section, but why go to all this trouble?

Open Basecamp on the Mac
Create a new "list" in basecamp, then import the GPX file into that list - that way it doesn't get mixed up with all you other stuff
From the Basecamp, transfer the GPX to the device

Hi
The comments above are correct but if you plug your garmin into your computer and cannot see it as a Disk Drive ie you can see all the files you must change the MTP settings.

To change Garmin GPS to Mass Storage.

1. Bring up the volume screen on the GPS.

2. On the upper right hand corner. Press your finger on screen and hold for appx 10 seconds.

3. Shortly you will see the developers screen.

4. Find MTP Settings and touch it.

5. It will show 3 selections. MTP Auto Detect,Mass Storage and Mass Storage Single Session.

6. Touch Mass Storage as your selection.

7. Now select save and you are good to go.

Safe Riding

Back
Top Bottom