Ideal van to cary motorbikes

When looking at ramps designed to transfer wheelchair users into a vehicle take note of the safe working loads. Ramps are normally spec'd around the 280KG SWL mark but a GS alone is around 220-230KG, plus you...….

Hydraulic passenger lifts, as said previously, are normally too short for a motorbike but have a better SWL of around 400kg normally.

You would be surprised how little value older accessible vehicles holds, it would be worth getting in touch with a local mobility centre to see what they do with their trade ins.

Look on eBay for an ambulance with rear wheelchair ramp. I used to have a LWB Trafic 'patient transport' minibus with removable seats and a long, hydraulic ramp at the back - just the job. :thumb

When looking at ramps designed to transfer wheelchair users into a vehicle take note of the safe working loads. Ramps are normally spec'd around the 280KG SWL mark but a GS alone is around 220-230KG, plus you...….

Hydraulic passenger lifts, as said previously, are normally too short for a motorbike but have a better SWL of around 400kg normally.

You would be surprised how little value older accessible vehicles holds, it would be worth getting in touch with a local mobility centre to see what they do with their trade ins.

The ramp takes 400kg so that's all well in hand. Also the van has no additional wait apart from the ramp? In fact it has a row of seats missing so that maybe offsets that.

The van is a 2017 with 23,000 miles. 1 owner with FSH. Mobility cars/vans appear to be good buys because they have been driven gently and fully serviced at main dealers through the mobility grant/network. All this for £17,000. No vat and its classification is a car. It has air con, electric windows, central locking etc 6 seats and will take a bike ....I think day van conversion too so that I can ride out and come back for a nap :okay

Certainly has a lot going for it and not a lot of money to loose I think? :beerjug:

Should look like this when finished....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-18 at 21.02.20.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-18 at 21.02.20.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 190
That's nice looking, I must admit we have totally different ideas to what a used mobility vehicle is. :D

I was expecting something a lot older.

:thumb2

Speaking with Lee Costello, who does it for a living:

"I always use an automatic van with a low floor for bikes"

made sense.

Thread resurrection here but I was wondering if this ever happened ?

I'm also considering a WAV Peugeot Expert to use for either one of my bikes ( XT1200, KTM 950SE ) or MTBs for transporting to the South coast or Europe but I think that the internal space would be the limiter.
Entry height is 1.5m so mirrors and screen would come off but the length is 1.9m and I would need 2.2m for the 950 and 2.1 for the XT...maybe if there were just 2 single seats instead of a double at the front it might be possible to put a wheel clamp further forward, but then there's the height ?
Some of them come with a 2l engine and 6 speed box so that should be capable of pulling the weight, plus I'd remove any extra seats as there would only ever be 2 people in the van.

I can't find one around here or I'd visit with a tape measure :unsure:

I don't want a panel van of any description as whatever I get will be our car, that and I'll be getting rid of a Vauxhall Movano MWB that never gets used so it has to be as small and compact as is practical.

IMG_7831.jpeg

71537909730__2D0027F1-9824-46FF-A920-CAB1AFF21FA0.jpeg

IMG_6734.jpeg
My Peugeot Expert with a variety of my bikes. Takes an F800GS too. It’s not got as big an aperture as a Renault Trafic or Transit but once in, the interior is very similar in size (though I’ve lost a bit following insulation and carpeting now).
Bigger bikes I.e the Norden I prefer to have another pair of hands to assist though have done it myself. Not keen on doing so though. Ramp is a wheelchair jobby, makes it far easier than the mx type

Thread resurrection here but I was wondering if this ever happened ?

I'm also considering a WAV Peugeot Expert to use for either one of my bikes ( XT1200, KTM 950SE ) or MTBs for transporting to the South coast or Europe but I think that the internal space would be the limiter.
Entry height is 1.5m so mirrors and screen would come off but the length is 1.9m and I would need 2.2m for the 950 and 2.1 for the XT...maybe if there were just 2 single seats instead of a double at the front it might be possible to put a wheel clamp further forward, but then there's the height ?
Some of them come with a 2l engine and 6 speed box so that should be capable of pulling the weight, plus I'd remove any extra seats as there would only ever be 2 people in the van.

I can't find one around here or I'd visit with a tape measure :unsure:

I don't want a panel van of any description as whatever I get will be our car, that and I'll be getting rid of a Vauxhall Movano MWB that never gets used so it has to be as small and compact as is practical.
As you've seen, my 1100GS fits in the Peugeot Expert WAV. The dropped floor and loading ramp at the back, the 2 single front seats with a wheel chock between, means it wheels right in, no removing screens or mirrors, do need to remove the Givi topbox though. A bit of thoughful packing and all the camping stuff fits inside too. Used to use a roofbox but found it's not needed, keeps the weight lower down and makes it a car on ferries.
Happy to get the tape measure out if it helps

View attachment 294352

View attachment 294353

View attachment 294354
My Peugeot Expert with a variety of my bikes. Takes an F800GS too. It’s not got as big an aperture as a Renault Trafic or Transit but once in, the interior is very similar in size (though I’ve lost a bit following insulation and carpeting now).
Bigger bikes I.e the Norden I prefer to have another pair of hands to assist though have done it myself. Not keen on doing so though. Ramp is a wheelchair jobby, makes it far easier than the mx type
Excellent, thanks.
So it still fits in without the lowered floor and just a bit more effort on the ramp involved.
I had decided on a WAV van after seeing Nick's but this is definitely an option :thumb2

As you've seen, my 1100GS fits in the Peugeot Expert WAV. The dropped floor and loading ramp at the back, the 2 single front seats with a wheel chock between, means it wheels right in, no removing screens or mirrors, do need to remove the Givi topbox though. A bit of thoughful packing and all the camping stuff fits inside too. Used to use a roofbox but found it's not needed, keeps the weight lower down and makes it a car on ferries.
Happy to get the tape measure out if it helps
Hi Nick, yes it was after seeing yours that got me thinking but I had it in mind that yours was the Tepee and not an Expert.

I'll start actively looking early next year but it seems that there are a couple of options...WAV or not ! Will be a case of seeing what is available but I'm probably looking at a 2012/14 plate van and the WAVs often seem to have lower mileage and a lower price than a similar standard van.

I have noticed that some of the WAVs have a cut out in the floor right up to behind the front seats and they are made at 1.9mtrs long so that would restrict getting the wheel further forward...don't think that yours has that ?

I'll measure the 950 tomorrow and see if you think that there's clearance...and it's a shame that I didn't ask to see if I could try it in when we were at Strontian :blast

Mike.

View attachment 294352

View attachment 294353

View attachment 294354
I would assume that your Gasgas has tall suspension so if that fits in under the rear door rail then my 950SE would as well ?

Is the front wheel chock against the bulkhead and is it 2 single seats ?

Mike.

I would assume that your Gasgas has tall suspension so if that fits in under the rear door rail then my 950SE would as well ?

Is the front wheel chock against the bulkhead and is it 2 single seats ?

Mike.
It has a bench seat then the drivers…I wanted to keep the cool box under the middle seat. I kept the lower half of the bulkhead so there was something to brace against - the wheel chock loses me 2” but they’ve all fitted so far (the 901 ‘just’ with the front wheel straight ahead).
Ive replaced the Gasser with a Husky FE350 now which also fits.
it would be worth checking your SE against a 350 for height if you can, there’s not a lot of clearance now I’ve had it insulated. Check wheelbase too… I’m pretty sure my friend has to put the bars on lock a little to accommodate his SE in his Renault Trafic.

I would add, this van came along at the right time and mileage. If I was looking again I’d also consider the Renault Trafic family, lower entry sill and higher roof bar

It has a bench seat then the drivers…I wanted to keep the cool box under the middle seat. I kept the lower half of the bulkhead so there was something to brace against - the wheel chock loses me 2” but they’ve all fitted so far (the 901 ‘just’ with the front wheel straight ahead).
Ive replaced the Gasser with a Husky FE350 now which also fits.
it would be worth checking your SE against a 350 for height if you can, there’s not a lot of clearance now I’ve had it insulated. Check wheelbase too… I’m pretty sure my friend has to put the bars on lock a little to accommodate his SE in his Renault Trafic.
I'll take some measurements tomorrow if you don't mind comparing with your 350 ?
My XT1200 is slightly lower and has a shorter wheelbase than the SE but weight will be the issue there !

I picked up the SE in Oxford on a trip home from Europe last year on my XT...managed to get them both plus luggage and all the extras I got with the SE ( including the Safari tank ) into a hire Fiat Scudo but there was literally millimetres to spare, and I had another useful pair of hands to help or I would never have managed.

I have some dimensions if you are both willing to wield a tape measure when you get the chance ? Would be interesting to compare the standard van to a WAV for clearance.

The XT measures 1.3 high x 2.4 long.
SE measures 1.35 high x 2.35 long.

So, 2.4 x 1.35m minimum clearance.

This would be with screen ( XT ) and mirrors removed on both.

Cheers,

Mike. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom