Metzler roadtec 01 cannot be fixed if punctured

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have repaired at least three punctures myself in metzeler tourances, have never given it a thought before, I have also fixed punctures in pirelli and maxxis tyres, all with stop and go plugs. Then all have been ridden until they need replacing. Stop worrying about nothing.
Bikes have passed MOT's with plugs in too. In fact I have a stop and go plugs in one of my TL's at the mo and it's booked for its MOT this Friday.

I’ve repaired loads of tyres over the years. Currently using rats tail type plugs. Haven’t had an issue.

I have repaired at least three punctures myself in metzeler tourances, have never given it a thought before, I have also fixed punctures in pirelli and maxxis tyres, all with stop and go plugs. Then all have been ridden until they need replacing. Stop worrying about nothing.
Bikes have passed MOT's with plugs in too. In fact I have a stop and go plugs in one of my TL's at the mo and it's booked for its MOT this Friday.

it only applies to z rated tyres

I just want people to be aware that if they fix said tyre they are riding around with loved one ect on a defective tyre and may not be insured if the worst happens

Did you just make this up or does your mate tell you? Full marks for getting the obligatory ‘Loved one ect (sic)’ in.

You seem to confusing the law (you must or must not do something, as laid down by parliament *) with advice or instructions from a manufacturer not to do something specific with their product. Metzeler have decided, for whatever reasons, to advise and instruct against their tyres being repaired. The same advice applies from other manufacturers, though sometimes tempered against an instruction not to repair the tyre if the puncture is outside of a pre-defined band along the centre of the tyre, if the sidewall is damaged or if the tyre exceeds a certain speed rating.

You have decided to take umbrage with Metzeler and are, presumably, looking to get your money back. Take out a civil action against the company, using all the well constructed arguments you haven put forward so eloquently here. Though, before you rush out with your flaming sword of justice for bikermates, you might like to spend a few moments in your local branch of the Citizens Advice office or better still, seeking advice from UKGser’s team of in-house lawyers, ready to pronounce on any matter, as required of them in the bikers’ code.

Failing that. Just repair the tyre yourself. It is why bods carry tyre repair kits and pumps in their enormous panniers and make endless enquiries as to which make of repair kit and pump are best, the answers to which are always the same.

Here is some free advice from MCN, the go to bible for all matters pertaining to bikermates’ hooning and mental health: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-...0109-british-standarsd-for-puncture-repairs-/

* Even breaking the law does not void insurance. It is most certainly against the law to drive with defective brakes or to drive whilst drunk (and most certainly to kill someone whilst driving drunk) or even something as simple as to have an undersized rear number plate. But, in these basic examples, your insurance is not void or cancelled.

From Wapping's MCN link:

beyond-repair1.jpg

I think this might be beyond economic repair.

It is all to do with litigation , ie who gets the arse sued off them if a repaired tyre fails at speed and a rider is injured or killed , if you chose to repair or have repaired a tyre that the manufacturer says not to repair then the onus is on you .

Can only see it causing you grief if you then sell the bike on with your repair and it fails and the new owner can prove that the tyre was responsible for a crash and you knowingly had it repaired against manufacturers advice an sold it on.

What I will say is that if you are using a vehicle regularly at speed then repairs are not recommended , take for example the police , in our force repairs to tyres were never condoned, even if a tyre only had done 20 miles and it got a nail in the centre of its tread it was scrapped on the grounds of safety .

Did you just make this up or does your mate tell you? Full marks for getting the obligatory ‘Loved one ect (sic)’ in.

You seem to confusing the law (you must or must not do something, as laid down by parliament) with advice or instructions from a manufacturer not to do something specific with their product. Metzeler have decided, for whatever reasons, to advise and instruct against their tyres being repaired. The same advice applies from other manufacturers, though sometimes tempered against an instruction not to repair the tyre if the puncture is outside of a pre-defined band along the centre of the tyre, if the sidewall is damaged or if the tyre exceeds a cdertain speed rating.

You have decided to take umbrage with Metzeler and are, presumably, looking to get your money back. Take out a civil action against the company, using all the well constructed arguments you haven put forward so eloquently here. Though, before you rush out with your flaming sword of justice for bikermates, you might like to spend a few moments in your local branch of the Citizens Advice office or better still, seeking advice from UKGser’s team of in-house lawyers, ready to pronounce on any matter, as required of them in the bikers’ code.

Failing that. Just repair the tyre yourself. It is why bods carry tyre repair kits and pumps in their enormous panniers and make endless enquiries as to which make of repair kit and pump are best, the answers to which are always the same.

Here is some free advice from MCN, the go to bible for all matters pertaining to bikermates’ hooning and mental health: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-...0109-british-standarsd-for-puncture-repairs-/

missing the point you cannot repair said tyre z rating .you are not advised of this at point of sale ! .Many people now riding with illegal tyre due to self fix .I,m not bothered its their lives and non insured bikes at risk please carry on thread closed

missing the point you cannot repair said tyre z rating .you are not advised of this at point of sale ! .Many people now riding with illegal tyre due to self fix .I,m not bothered its their lives and non insured bikes at risk please carry on thread closed

It's like the whole thread has passed him/her by.:blast

and yet - you started this thread and added to another - with the same self-appointed morality.

Interesting that you have already consulted ‘your’ solicitor.

I think you're missing the point. Doing something against a manufacturers recommendations does NOT make something illegal, unless of course the manufacturers recommendations AND the law happen to be alligned, but one does not make the other true. Riding on a repaired tyre is legal, putting 10psi more of air in the tyre than the manufacturer recommends is also legal. Because what manufacturers say has NOTHING to do with the law or what is legal or not. Unless they are making reference to the law in their recommendations, which would be hard to do given they sell tyres in multiple countries.

I totally get your point, I really do. Metzeler do not recommend you repair their tyre, fine, I get it. If you choose to repair it then the ouness is on you but as people are pointing out, the act of repairing that tyre does not make it illegal.

The laws regarding tyres are not manufacturer specific (to the best of my knowledge).

But I as I said I get your point. Insurance companies will use any technicality they can to get out of a payout. I got initially refused a payout when I t-boned an old lady many years ago who pulled across me, because I had a non-E marked Akky race can on the bike. Despite the exhaust having NOTHING to do with the crash the insurance company tried to wriggle out of it.

But constantly repeating yourself saying that riding with a repaired tyre is illegal because Metzeler say so is not doing yourself any favours and making you look a bit silly unfortunately. However I do see your underlying point.

When it comes to the world of motorvehicles/insurance claims if we all bothered to read the manufacturers recommendations for everything and took them as "law", we'd all probably be horrified how much "law breaking" we are doing without knowing, by your logic. Retailers rarely tell us the full list of do's and don'ts when buying things, thats up to us to be informed.

In the event of an accident yes I agree there is a chance, however slim, that someone could argue that the repaired tyre had in some way contributed to the accident as it is against the manufacturers recommendations/policy. But I feel sure in the real world it's likely that the biggest contributing factor would likely be something else.

Hear hear. Well said....

I think you're missing the point. Doing something against a manufacturers recommendations does NOT make something illegal, unless of course the manufacturers recommendations AND the law happen to be alligned, but one does not make the other true. Riding on a repaired tyre is legal, putting 10psi more of air in the tyre than the manufacturer recommends is also legal. Because what manufacturers say has NOTHING to do with the law or what is legal or not. Unless they are making reference to the law in their recommendations, which would be hard to do given they sell tyres in multiple countries.

I totally get your point, I really do. Metzeler do not recommend you repair their tyre, fine, I get it. If you choose to repair it then the ouness is on you but as people are pointing out, the act of repairing that tyre does not make it illegal.

The laws regarding tyres are not manufacturer specific (to the best of my knowledge).

But I as I said I get your point. Insurance companies will use any technicality they can to get out of a payout. I got initially refused a payout when I t-boned an old lady many years ago who pulled across me, because I had a non-E marked Akky race can on the bike. Despite the exhaust having NOTHING to do with the crash the insurance company tried to wriggle out of it.

But constantly repeating yourself saying that riding with a repaired tyre is illegal because Metzeler say so is not doing yourself any favours and making you look a bit silly unfortunately. However I do see your underlying point.

When it comes to the world of motorvehicles/insurance claims if we all bothered to read the manufacturers recommendations for everything and took them as "law", we'd all probably be horrified how much "law breaking" we are doing without knowing, by your logic. Retailers rarely tell us the full list of do's and don'ts when buying things, thats up to us to be informed.

In the event of an accident yes I agree there is a chance, however slim, that someone could argue that the repaired tyre had in some way contributed to the accident as it is against the manufacturers recommendations/policy. But I feel sure in the real world it's likely that the biggest contributing factor would likely be something else.

They advise against repairing... which means you have to buy another tyre. So no self interest involved.

They advise against repairing... which means you have to buy another tyre. So no self interest involved.

That’s an outrage and a rip-off and against the bikers’ code and lots of other things that I can’t be bothered to think of. Hang them! Hang them with burning pitchforks!

That’s an outrage and a rip-off and against the bikers’ code and lots of other things that I can’t be bothered to think of. Hang them! Hang them with burning pitchforks!

The bikers code also demands that if you're going to have "an off" due to shoddy workmanship, manufacturers defect or fitting a louder horn without informing your insurance company, it must happen outside a school at 9am or 3.30pm , or as you happen to be passing by a bus stop full of people.......... and don't even think about the jeopardy of riding past a bus stop outside a school at 3.30pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom