Metzler roadtec 01 cannot be fixed if punctured

Status
Not open for further replies.
The british standard used for tyre repair is a recommendation, not a law.
This states that Z rated tyres should not be repaired.
Companies use these standards to apply a consistent approach to public safety, to avoid mis-interpretation or to avoid future litigation if they do something wrong.
Their own public liability insurance policy may expect them to adhere to all published safety guidelines.

Michelin accept Z rated tyre repairs subject to restrictions.
Bridgestone state that ANY repair nullifies a tyre speed rating.
Other companies follow the published safety standards.
Have you been told this for all other brands bought?
This is not a point of sale requirement, otherwise it would take hours or days to buy anything while you wait for every single standard and caveat for use to be explained to you, not just the ones you are interested in.

Insurance is not voided for an illegal tyre. A plugged Z rated tyre is not illegal, but even if it was, insurance would still be in place. It is just a tyre that is repaired against british standards policy.

However, the limit of the insurance is likely to be the minimum legal 3rd party liability as described in the road traffic act as already mentioned earlier.

Your insurance will have a clause regarding keeping your vehicle in a roadworthy condition. If anything contributes to an accident, then that is their get out to not repair your vehicle.

Whether a plugged Z tyre contributed to your accident would depend on the quality of the repair and your speed in relation to the compromised speed rating, along with any other external influences.

If you do your own roadside repairs with plugs or string, you are responsible for your own safety. You do not have to stick the british standards for that repair.

You use your own common sense and experience to decide on the risk, to get you home, get you to the next town, whatever.

By co-incidence - a week ago (I posted it on Facebook at the time)... A puncture on my RT. Two plugs now in the tyre (top plug is the old puncture), both plugs near each other, as seen in the picture..... I couldn’t even tell you the make of tyre I’ve got fitted without going out to the garage and looking at it, but it has too much tread for me to think of scrapping it. ... c'est la vie.

I'll just steer clear of bus stops full of people, infant schools and carrying loved ones :thumb

Attachments

• 311F97AC-0A5E-4B13-AEA4-E3E7A70DD670.jpeg
    311F97AC-0A5E-4B13-AEA4-E3E7A70DD670.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 318
So you are on a biking holiday with your mates, to lets say the Picos. It's getting on in the day and darkness beckons and you get a puncture in your Metzler rear tyre whilst miles from anywhere and no phone signal. One of your mates has a puncture repair kit and a compressor and offers to plug it for you. What are you going to do?

This is easily resolved. Just ring your insurance company and ask them if it affects your cover. If no you’re ok , if yes, you know.

already closed the thread not interested in anymore worthless comments

What you're not interested in is reasoned debate. Perhaps some people have been a little too "personal" in their approach but you've gone out of your way to ignore the advice and comments of literally everyone who's posted. Your point of view has been proven factually wrong and instead of accepting that you're acting like a spoiled child who's parents always tell them they are right.

As I said above I totally see your point about the what if's when relating to an accident, but everything else you've said (mostly) is factually wrong or very flawed.

You honestly think a dealer would spend time telling you every little detail of the T&C's and policies before accepting your money for the tyre? Lets be real. Thats for YOU to make sure you're informed, ask questions, read the info.

When I picked up my 1250GS, the dealer didn't explain to me that I have to do something to make the cruise control turn off, it's in the manual, for me to read and be aware of. Probably not the best parallel to draw but you can't possibly expect companies to read out every little detail of every product or service they offer. That would be ludicrous.

Should they have mentioned that it's not Metzelers policy to recommend repair in the event of a puncture? Who knows, maybe they should. But your anger towards the dealer is all based on this notion that you were lied to or mislead some how. Your initial statement is:

"found this out today no very happy as i was not advised when i purchased them that they cannot be fixed if you get a puncture .I called metzler to complain as i expected not interested please share so other people will not be duped"

You said they cannot be fixed, thats not true, thats the dealers policy based in part on Metzelers recommendations.
You said Metzeler weren't interested, why would they be? You didn't buy the tyre from them.
You said you were duped? Thats completely false and fueled purely by anger about something you feel should have been made clear to you.

You're hell bent on making someone pay for your anger and thats directed at the dealer and Metzeler, but people have taken exception to you patronising them and belittling their point of view as you are making legal statements that have got no basis in truth.

As has already been posted, Metzelers own documentation states that repairs are only recommended in small areas and may differ by region. So, this proves 2 things:

1. If Metzeler did indeed tell you that it CANNOT be repaired and it's their policy that it cannot be, then you must have spoken to the wrong person because that contradicts their own literature as well as the information of the person I spoke to earlier at Pirelli who basically reiterated what their literature says. I suspect you either didn't speak to Pirelli/Metzeler or if you did you explained the story in such a way as to get the answer you wanted to vindcate yourself and prove your anger to be right.
2. That as long as the UK road traffic rules etc are adhered to then repairs are perfectly plausible as long as it complies with any region specific laws/rules.

If your puncture was dead in the middle and the dealer said they wouldn't do it, then your anger is solely focused on that dealers policies however crazy or strange they may seem to you. Find a local tyre guy and get it done properly and you've then complied with all the laws and regulations.

You weren't duped, you weren't mislead. You need to get over this insistence that this dealer has in some way purposely mislead you. You say it's not about the money, but we both know thats not true.

As I said above, should the dealer have pointed out that THEY do not repair these tyres at the time of sale, probably yes and in your shoes I'd probably be a teeny bit annoyed at that. However, the person you dealt with probably wasn't the person in the know. No disrespect to the people on the service desks at dealers but they often don't have any clue about bikes or what things mean beyond what comes up on the system for them to say/print off.

In your shoes I'd have said "well it would have been nice to be told that at the time, I'd then check my facts, go to my local tyre guy and get it repaired, feeling slightly wiser about using that dealer next time for tyres.

The longer you fuel this paranoia and opinion that you have no choice but to buy a new tyre or you are riding illegally if you repair it needs to stop. Read the comments, get over it and for gods sake, grow up.

Is it locked yet ................................. ???:hide

What you're not interested in is reasoned debate. Perhaps some people have been a little too "personal" in their approach but you've gone out of your way to ignore the advice and comments of literally everyone who's posted. Your point of view has been proven factually wrong and instead of accepting that you're acting like a spoiled child who's parents always tell them they are right.

As I said above I totally see your point about the what if's when relating to an accident, but everything else you've said (mostly) is factually wrong or very flawed.

You honestly think a dealer would spend time telling you every little detail of the T&C's and policies before accepting your money for the tyre? Lets be real. Thats for YOU to make sure you're informed, ask questions, read the info.

When I picked up my 1250GS, the dealer didn't explain to me that I have to do something to make the cruise control turn off, it's in the manual, for me to read and be aware of. Probably not the best parallel to draw but you can't possibly expect companies to read out every little detail of every product or service they offer. That would be ludicrous.

Should they have mentioned that it's not Metzelers policy to recommend repair in the event of a puncture? Who knows, maybe they should. But your anger towards the dealer is all based on this notion that you were lied to or mislead some how. Your initial statement is:

"found this out today no very happy as i was not advised when i purchased them that they cannot be fixed if you get a puncture .I called metzler to complain as i expected not interested please share so other people will not be duped"

You said they cannot be fixed, thats not true, thats the dealers policy based in part on Metzelers recommendations.
You said Metzeler weren't interested, why would they be? You didn't buy the tyre from them.
You said you were duped? Thats completely false and fueled purely by anger about something you feel should have been made clear to you.

You're hell bent on making someone pay for your anger and thats directed at the dealer and Metzeler, but people have taken exception to you patronising them and belittling their point of view as you are making legal statements that have got no basis in truth.

As has already been posted, Metzelers own documentation states that repairs are only recommended in small areas and may differ by region. So, this proves 2 things:

1. If Metzeler did indeed tell you that it CANNOT be repaired and it's their policy that it cannot be, then you must have spoken to the wrong person because that contradicts their own literature as well as the information of the person I spoke to earlier at Pirelli who basically reiterated what their literature says. I suspect you either didn't speak to Pirelli/Metzeler or if you did you explained the story in such a way as to get the answer you wanted to vindcate yourself and prove your anger to be right.
2. That as long as the UK road traffic rules etc are adhered to then repairs are perfectly plausible as long as it complies with any region specific laws/rules.

If your puncture was dead in the middle and the dealer said they wouldn't do it, then your anger is solely focused on that dealers policies however crazy or strange they may seem to you. Find a local tyre guy and get it done properly and you've then complied with all the laws and regulations.

You weren't duped, you weren't mislead. You need to get over this insistence that this dealer has in some way purposely mislead you. You say it's not about the money, but we both know thats not true.

As I said above, should the dealer have pointed out that THEY do not repair these tyres at the time of sale, probably yes and in your shoes I'd probably be a teeny bit annoyed at that. However, the person you dealt with probably wasn't the person in the know. No disrespect to the people on the service desks at dealers but they often don't have any clue about bikes or what things mean beyond what comes up on the system for them to say/print off.

In your shoes I'd have said "well it would have been nice to be told that at the time, I'd then check my facts, go to my local tyre guy and get it repaired, feeling slightly wiser about using that dealer next time for tyres.

The longer you fuel this paranoia and opinion that you have no choice but to buy a new tyre or you are riding illegally if you repair it needs to stop. Read the comments, get over it and for gods sake, grow up.

what part of not interested dont you get

Pleased to meet you....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fA79lLwRYTY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

what part of not interested dont you get

Oh I know you don’t care. That’s the problem.

But it’s fine, you go be a childish little man, I also don’t care. It’s your bike your life.

You’ve been proven wrong and your reaction speaks volumes, that’s good enough for me fella.

Oh I know you don’t care. That’s the problem.

But it’s fine, you go be a childish little man, I also don’t care. It’s your bike your life.

You’ve been proven wrong and your reaction speaks volumes, that’s good enough for me fella.

sticks and stones who,s the childish one ? not proven wrong at all

sticks and stones who,s the childish one ? not proven wrong at all

I’m voicing an opinion. I’ve tried to help and be a voice of reason. And yes you have been proven wrong, you’ve made statements that are proven to be wrong. Whether you lied or whether you were misinformed is neither hear nor there, but you are wrong about multiple things and have shown a childish approach to responding to that. Don’t blame me for calling that out.

I’m voicing an opinion. I’ve tried to help and be a voice of reason. And yes you have been proven wrong, you’ve made statements that are proven to be wrong. Whether you lied or whether you were misinformed is neither hear nor there, but you are wrong about multiple things and have shown a childish approach to responding to that. Don’t blame me for calling that out.

no you've not you just call me names the thread is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom