Newbie, well sort of.

TheStig

Reaction score
Hi All,

Back to the GSA after 8 years sabbatical ( Actually No bike at all ).

I've just ordered a 2021 triple black GSA TE with heated seats ( to Keep the Boss Happy ).

Back in the olden days on my 2008 GSA I had a zumo and a clunky bracket to hold it on. I've not ordered the Nav6 as it seemed quite pricey and looked a bit old fashioned.

Are there any good alternatives , I suppose BMW have got me by the dangles as I assume only the Nav6 will integrate with the wheely thing on the handlebar ? Is there a good option for attaching an iphone to something ?

Are AutoGS , HaggisBlower or PJ on here still . Or have they all died of old age !!

Cheers
Steve

Welcome (back!)
Although I have a Nav 6, I use the Waze App on my phone. Clearer instructions and is user led, ie, whenever a fellow wazer passes an accident, speed trap or road works, they notify the obstruction at the touch of a button. Obviously being on the phone, it links to comms if you have one.
When running side by side, the last time I was in Europe, Waze was by far the most accurate to use. Downside of not having the Nav 6 though, is if you want any of the info on the hidden screen, like max speed, tyre pressure etc, but the tft probably has that anyway.
If you do go down that route, do your research into phone mounts.
The newer smart phones don’t like them, I broke my camera on the phone, due to vibration, but now have the quad lock with the anti vibration gizmo on it. So far so good.

Cheers
Dave

I’ve used BMW/Garmin satnavs on BM bikes for almost as long as they’ve been available. Currently I have a Nav6 which I use on my 1200 GSA and my K1200LT. On the GSA, it integrates perfectly with the “wheely thing” on the left hand grip, and that makes it the best bike/satnav combo I’ve used, especially with sound bluetoothed to my helmet headset.

Mine’s a 2015 GSA, but I’m assuming a 2021 TE bike will have the ability to bluetooth a phone to your TFT screen. My bike doesn’t have the TFT screen, so I’ve no first-hand knowledge, but I believe I’ve read that the Apple CarPlay app will link up, giving you onscreen navigation from an iphone. You’d be able to keep the phone in your pocket or a tank-bag, if that was the case.

Tom

Thanks for the Advice

Thanks Guys for the welcome and the advice.

I've found a gadget that connects to the nav preparation unit and charges my phone at the same time , but i'm wary of the vibes braking my iphone X MAX.

From what I've read on this forum the later phones suffer more than the Iphone8's and lower because of some inbuilt technology.

So I'm still not sure whether to go for the Nav 6 unit or not :blast.

From a previous bike I have an Oxford Beast lock and Chain ( 22mm ). serious bit of Kit , but I'm wondering if it will fit between the spokes of the GSA ? Maybe it will fit around the shaft drive ?

where do others put there chains and locks. No kinky answers please :whip

Cheers
Steve

Yes, it’s the image stabiliser that goes on them. I have the iPhone X too, fortunately it was under warranty, and managed to avoid telling them i knew what caused it

The Quadlock is a great bit of kit, and the new vibration damper seems to work fine.

70573ad525859c5861122ffffc36962f.jpg

Also, an alternative to charging is the double USB port, which you fit in place of the standard din plug
0aa44eb704ae612dede13ef8f20cff95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Dave thanks for the advice.:thumb I've taken the plunge and ordered a nav6 but I have a quadlock on the bike i'm trading in , I will get the damper so I can have the phone on the bike as well.

Cheers again
Steve

Back
Top Bottom