2009 F800GS Fork Oil

frosti

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to fit Hyperpro Progressive Front and Rear springs shortly - they have been sitting in the shed since May.

Fork Oil is in the bike a long time - since before I bought it 15,000 miles ago, or maybe even longer and is well overdue changing.

Front end is pogoing a good bit now on very bumpy roads.

Manual says 7.5wt oil is standard.
Hyperpro supplied 10wt oil with the springs, but I think i read somewhere that some people felt this was a bit harsh.

Would welcome feedback from anyone who has fitted the Hyperpros as to what oil they used.

Hi Frosti,
I used the 10wt oil Hyperpro supplied with the springs. For my style of riding it was just right. No more bang as the forks bottomed out over big bumps and the front wheel feels better planted. I haven't done the rear yet as i was thinking of getting the shock reconditioned and having the progressive spring fitted. Bike has done 38,000 miles.

Balders

Hi Frosti,
I used the 10wt oil Hyperpro supplied with the springs. For my style of riding it was just right. No more bang as the forks bottomed out over big bumps and the front wheel feels better planted. I haven't done the rear yet as i was thinking of getting the shock reconditioned and having the progressive spring fitted. Bike has done 38,000 miles.

Balders

Thanks Balders.
Is it mainly road use or offroad you are doing ?

Following with interest as I'm about to get some Hyperpro progressive springs.

Let us know how you get on Frosti.

I used the Hyperpro 10Wt oil with the progressive springs, eliminating the front end dive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that seems conclusive.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Following with interest as I'm about to get some Hyperpro progressive springs.

Let us know how you get on Frosti.

Will do Chris
It will probably be next month at this stage, but where is the rush - can only venture 5km from home for the next 6 weeks in these parts unfortunately.

Will do Chris
It will probably be next month at this stage, but where is the rush - can only venture 5km from home for the next 6 weeks in these parts unfortunately.

I've got mine now so will be fitting them next weekend with any luck.

Fitted the Hyperpro progressive springs yesterday and it's a fairly straightforward job. I guess it took a couple of hours and the longest job is removing the side panels!!

The only thing you have to watch is the air gap is different from standard. The air gap with standard springs is 61mm on the 800ADV and Hyperpro spec is 120mm which is printed on the end of the box.

Took it for a quick 50 mile ride after doing it and the bike is definitely better. The roads were wet but the bike certainly feels more planted and the front end is definitely firmer.

Going to get out on Sunday for a longer ride so will report back with more feedback.

Fitted the Hyperpro progressive springs yesterday and it's a fairly straightforward job. I guess it took a couple of hours and the longest job is removing the side panels!!

The only thing you have to watch is the air gap is different from standard. The air gap with standard springs is 61mm on the 800ADV and Hyperpro spec is 120mm which is printed on the end of the box.

Took it for a quick 50 mile ride after doing it and the bike is definitely better. The roads were wet but the bike certainly feels more planted and the front end is definitely firmer.

Going to get out on Sunday for a longer ride so will report back with more feedback.

Excellent good to know that.
Waiting on forkseals so might get it done end of next week

Got mine fitted finally last week.

Did the front Hyperpro upgrade and also put a Hyperpro spring on the rear shock
Only took it for a 1 hour ride on local roads as it was late in the evening but it seems to have made a great improvement.

Admittedly, my front end was well overdue an oil change as it had begun to pogo a bit a it was hopping a lot over rough ground and the handling did not feel as good as when I got it first.
But it seems way better and really glided over uneven roads and pot-holes.
It seemed very planted on the wet muddy roads.

Front dive also seemed much reduced under braking - though I did not do too much of it

Will try a longer spin at the weekend hopefully.

Good to hear Frosti. I've done a couple of longish rides now and the bike feels really good and a huge improvement over the stock set up.

I'll do the rear spring before heading to Alaska (hopefully) in July.

Good to hear Frosti. I've done a couple of longish rides now and the bike feels really good and a huge improvement over the stock set up.

I'll do the rear spring before heading to Alaska (hopefully) in July.

Hope you get there next year Chris- your ride reports are always good

Back
Top Bottom