Expert opinion please - standard or not ?

Deise

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
would be very grateful for your advice as to what is not standard on this R80g/s.

I do not intend to restore as i hope it will clean up quite well and have not got unlimited funds.

i have read on here that there may not be a "single standard" and that customers chose items from a list.

Open to correction on all the above. Thanks in advance for help.

Attachments

• R80GS.jpg
    R80GS.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 361
Haven't a clue but it does look very nice enjoy and hopefully I'll see you on the road with it.

Looks like a lovely bike.

There's a few anomalies for me, it depends how anorakorial you want to be. Could do with some handguards. If you don't care about it being 'original' I'd stick some Barkbusters on it.

My questions would be dual seat with a PD tank, although PD tank and no side panels is correct. Not sure about black forks and mudguard, but I'm sure someone will be along to offer their expertise.

Ride it and enjoy. :thumby:

thanks - hopefully next year is different

The exhaust cover is later (as it has the “cut-out” to fit the side panel....or is from a ST.
If the silencer cover is not metal, then it’s a repro...... the originals are hard to find.

Black fork lowers ?...... should be unpainted, front mudguard should be white

Looks good as it is.... just ride it and enjoy.

Sod originality, it’s yours, keep it as you want

Looks lovely.

I believe the earlier Dakar bikes came with the alloy lower forks but the later versions were black. What year is the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks -

registered 1988 (Germany), chassis 628.....

Looks lovely.

I believe the earlier Dakar bikes came with the alloy lower forks but the later versions were black. What year is the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been apart at some point,there are a few non factory fasteners,etc.
I guess it depends what you want from the .bike.
If it’s an investment,it needs to be 100% correct,in that case Garry Burton is your man.
If it’s a rider,crack on.:thumb

Looking good not much required for original:

Dual seat looks a good fit with the tank (no gap).

Enjoy your bike. :thumby:

Attachments

• 3375DA3C-2325-4518-B620-0DDA2433AD53.jpg
    3375DA3C-2325-4518-B620-0DDA2433AD53.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 264
The bike looks like a good buy, and all the better if left as it is.

If you get the back brake to work, please let me know how!

Health to enjoy!

Thanks
Appreciate your opinion. i have admired your work on this site

It’s been apart at some point,there are a few non factory fasteners,etc.
I guess it depends what you want from the .bike.
If it’s an investment,it needs to be 100% correct,in that case Garry Burton is your man.
If it’s a rider,crack on.:thumb

You should put the 7 digit frame number beginning with 628 through the mdecoder.com website. This will tell you how it left the factory. The information you REALLY need to know is whether the paint code is 999. If it is you have a factory original. If it's not then it's had bits added to it like the tank and heat shield silencer to make it look like one (like most have). To be honest, looking at what is there, it looks like it could be a 999 so do the check. The check should also list the options fitted at the factory.

So if you want it to be 'standard' there are those who would say you should re-create what the mdecoder search reveals. It could still be a dealer original, which comes about when the dealers fitted the Paris Dakar kit in the showroom to shift stock. This would be the tank, heat shield silencer and single seat principally. Either way, this looks like a very standard bike apart from the front mudguard. The original style ones are still available and it should be white. And don't fit BarkBusters. The original hand guards (white) are still available and they're cheap.

Please don't restore it! It needs using. If you restore it then realise what someone might pay for it you'll never ride it again.

Looks lovely.

Thanks -

registered 1988 (Germany), chassis 628.....

I thought only the very early bikes had the three stud rear wheel, later bikes had a four stud.

Happy to be corrected.

And don't fit BarkBusters. The original hand guards (white) are still available and they're cheap.

Yes, and they're also shite and absolutely rubbish at protecting hands and/or levers.

If the bike is not being 'purified' but ridden, you may as well have a handguard that works. Barkbusters are easily replaceable for the originals, should the owner want to take it back to original again. I know which I'd rather have protecting my hands. Original looks aren't doing to do much protecting!

I thought only the very early bikes had the three stud rear wheel, later bikes had a four stud.

Happy to be corrected.

I always thought that the g/s had a three stud wheel, and the 4 studs didn't come along until the paralever.

Back
Top Bottom