Bike camera Innovv K2 or Viofo MT1

Decided to pull the trigger and bought the Blueskysea DV988 PRO. Arrived today and after a quick check it appears to be working fine. They have a FB page which is handy if you need tec support. Came in at £140 which is very good considering the spec. I do fancy the 4K setup that Innovv are bringing out in 2021 but for now this unit will do everything i want. If anyone is considering buying this unit make sure you purchase the PRO. It's distinguished from the DV988 by the fact it has a black rather than blue surround to the 4 inch display but much more importantly by the fact that it comes with adjustable camera mounts.

Have a nice Christmas everyone and lets hope 2021 bring something better for us all.

Dario :)

My experience with the INNOVV is as follows:

The K1 required careful thought (with a personal wiring diagram) to get it right. You may also need a fuzebox. (or ez-can). The wires are VERY sensitive to overheating so, for instance, routing them above my hot tripple engine on the Tiger was a mistake; occasionally there would be footage missing and once it turns itself off, it needed to reset itself by turning the ignition off. It's some time before I worked that one out.

If, like me, you are OCD with wiring, then it requires you to remove a fair number of panels in order to hide the wiring. As I say, well away from any sources of heat. They also require interference blocks otherwise, again, you may find that footage is missing later.

The K1 is not waterproof and therefore, whilst OK on a bike with plenty of room under the seat, you will struggle to locate it on a LC. It will fit under the parcel shelf (behind the tail-light) but considering that it has no WIFI it's a pain to keep removing the parcel shelf in order to get to the control box to remove the SD card, so impractical.

I actually preferred the square cameras on the K1, to the bullet cams on the K2, but they are both pretty solid being made out of CNC aluminium; very sturdy and the wires are well attached to the main bodies. They are also not interchangeable. I tried to send INNOVV my square cameras to be re-plugged to fit the K2, but they could not do it. They then lost my square cameras but refunded me the money (I bought a spare set when I bought the K1 - never needed it because they are so sturdy)

I therefore sold the K1 and bought the K2.

The K2 IS waterproof and does not require a fuzebox. It's also smaller and thinner (control box). I placed mine under the parcel shelf but outside for access. The box and connections being 100% waterproof it wasn't an issue. I attached it with Velcro and the sturdy wires held it all in place. The wires are much longer than you need (especially the rear cam) so that all rolls up neatly under the parcel shelf behind the tail-light.

The quality of both was pretty good and I got some great footage. You need good quality micro SD cards, though to avoid disappointment, and constant looping will wear them out in time. They also need periodic formatting (best if the control box does it rather than on your PC), again, to avoid disappointment. In fact, before a long tour, I always used to format the SD card.

I still have my K2 but I do not have it installed. Two reasons for this:

I have until FEB to decide whether I'm keeping or upgrading my 1200LC to a 1250 but the trade-in value, presently, is unacceptable to me so it's looking likely I will keep it.

18 months ago I was just about to set off on my annual migration up north when I found the battery was dead. I took it to BMW and they said the battery was not covered as I had non-approved accessories (INNOVV, TomTom) and that they were the likely cause. I knew the TT wasn't to blame, BMW thought it was. I disconnected the INNOVV and discovered that I had no problem with the battery going flat anymore. Puzzled, I went to INNOVV website and discovered that it was a known problem; the inverter (needs 5v) had a fault and replacements were available free of charge (pardon the pun). However, the replacement took 3 months to arrive!!! By then, I had decided to remove the INNOVV altogether.

The other big problem with the INNOVV is that they launch products without thorough testing. I realise they are a very small company but I have had very frustrating issues with software; their firmware updating system is very primitive and Heath Robinson, and It was a real struggle to get the wifi to work correctly. Getting this sorted was a case of waiting to see when Rock (the owner) would get around to sorting it. Constant IOS updates probably didn't help as he was likely playing whack-a-mole the whole time. The ability to be able to manipulate settings and update firmware by simply plugging into a laptop would have been great but alas, one of it's biggest failings is that the K2 is controlled through the APP which, if the wifi doesn't function correctly, renders it effectively junk!!!

When the system works it's fit and forget.

INNOVV are now on K5 but at £400 and knowing that it will have teething problems which will drive me mad, I will keep my K2 and re-fit to existing or new bike. I don't need 4k because it already takes my (modern) MAC a fair time to process and render 1080P videos; I really don't need to work with 4K. Sharing 4K videos has challenges of its own, too, not to mention that most hardware will scale it down anyway because they either can't reproduce 4K, or it devours memory.

Back
Top Bottom