GSA TO S1000XR

Echo EVERYTHING said by Stew, the speed was both fun and addictive and would definitely have ended up in points, I went from a 1200 GS to the XR for a change and having now taken the plunge with a 1250 GSA it was the best decision for me, to each their own...…….

Seriously? I would say that was an impossibility on public roads.

Not at all - depends on the gears being used - I was mainly in 2nd, 3rd & 4th.

I eventually got stopped by policeman, in an unmarked armed response vehicle doing a stupid speed as I over took him. He let me off with a bloody good talking too. I rode the bike home with a flea in my ear. The next time I rode the bike was when I was taking it to the dealers to trade it in for the 1250 GSA.

Comfort is not an issure on either GS or XR...much better than the MUltistrda with the banana saddle that forces you into a single position...:(
The main difference is the feel & character of the engines and if you are willing to deal with a chain.
The XR has no torque and needs to be revved and eggs you on to go fast.
The 1250 GS is all TORQUE no matter where you are between 3000 and 8000 rpm.But you don't have the top-end rush of the XR but you are more relaxed.
Only you can decide which of the 2 personalities you like better.
As for the 2015/19 or 2020 XR it is pretty much 2 things...The old one had a slightly more fun motor that gave better roll-on and made better noises...The new one is a tad lighter,smoother,quieter has TFT dash and LED cornering lights but a much smoother better dampened suspension where the old one felt harder/harsher/less compliant no matter which setting.
To make it easy the old one had a better motor the new one is better everywhere else !
While with the GS the 1250 engine beats the 1200 heads down :thumby:

Thanks for all the input, very informative, If it ever stops raining here I will test the 2020 XR, I suspect though Im going to keep my GSA.
Thanks again

Pablo let us know what you thought of the XR vs GS after your test-ride !
I think the XR needs to be more ballistic,louder and more powerful to choose it over the more sensible 1250 GS...:D
Because the 1250 has almost enough power to be fun...;)

Had 2 first Gen XR's just moved to a 2020 TE.

Gen 1 bikes
Manic, feels like you ride with the devil looking down from your shoulder
Very fast
Suspension in Road mode can be harsh especially on roads across the moors or the dales
Glorious intake roar and popping in Dynamic on overrun
Very light vibes around 4,800rpm but the band is only 200rpm or so so ride through it. My GS LC had more vibes
All in all though a brilliant bike

2020 TE
Feels more civilised, probably due to Euro 5
Still blindingly fast
Suspension in Road mode is more like the GS, in Dynamic its nice and stiff
TFT is excellent
No vibes at all
More torque low down and 5th & 6th are higher geared

Too much is made of lubing the chain, its a 15 min job. All my bikes have chains

IMHO the 2020 bike is better but may not be worth the full price hit unless you can get a good deal which luckily I managed.

OEM luggage is eyewateringly expensive. I use SW Motech Blaze saddle bags and an SW Motech rear rack bag but for 90% of my riding I just use a SW Motech Evo tank bag. Can't stand the look of XR's with a top box

Maybe hang on till next April when the s/h 2020 bikes start to appear.

I’ve just swapped from a 1250 GS to a Gen 2 XR. I test rode the Gen 1 in 2016 and found it to be just as described above. The Gen 2 has more supple suspension, more midrange and barely any vibration. It’s still very fast at the top end; it’s a lot faster than the GS :eek: The handling is superb too

Attachments

• B4E32D42-839F-4F12-9596-92675DA30B0C.jpeg
    B4E32D42-839F-4F12-9596-92675DA30B0C.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 241

Back
Top Bottom