New EU-5 R Nine T will be revealed today...

As the 9 T was based on the 1200R, and the op preferred that bike,
Is it that the revised bike stayed with the old chassis against the hope it may have been transferred looks wise to the WC 1250R platform,
Having spent so much on wheels ,suspension, stand etc, on a bike that although matches the current model, wasn't enough to keep,
The standard bike simplicity and styling and diminutive size even on the standard model, has a value that takes it back in time,
For me and many others its a nice nostalgic useable package that is nicely made and customizeable,
I am not the only one to do long trips 2000 miles plus in comfort that matched the mighty gs,
The fully adjustable S1000 r forks and brakes are hardly soviet, and have correct sag at my 82kg,
Rear shock was adequate but i prefer not needed something a bit more compliant and fitted a mattris race shock to match front adjustability,
Spoked wheels look great so i bought a roll of tape and they are tubeless with all the benefits,
A big surprise was the metzeler z8 tyres that perform well wet or dry and wear way beyond expected miles,
I couldnt imagine having permanent hard luggage on the standard 9t with all the ugly brackets,
I have the seat hump on for day rides /nipping to the beachfront for a coffee,
then fit my gs alloy topbox and saddlebags, givi touring screen for touring, all removable in less than 10 minutes,
Its a 1 bike garage (+vespa gts) for me and the 9 T does all i need without massive cost to make it as useable as my previous gs,
Sadly had to give the gs up for health reasons, fancied a bit of retro style and solid twincam gs running gear,

Look I did all this to my R Nine T...
Bought a Wunderlich S-fairing,lower S1000R superbike handlebar,changed the unadjustable cheapened down S1000R fork for a Ohlin$$$ fork,the rear shock for a Ohlin$$$,the tubed wheels (I would not trust the 3M band to seal it permanently because of the torque/movement at the nipples where the spokes attach to the rim) for BMW forged HP wheels,put Gilles rear set and levers on it as also a beter sounding Akrapovic pipe,Wunderlich centerstand and Hepco Becker mount/rack/Yourney bags.
And it still not rode as well or handled as good as my R1200R with the same engine and TELELEVER !
The Hepco Becker bags where not as good as the BMW bags that used the ignition key.THe Telelever on the R1200R worked much better than the Ohlins Superbike fork.The BMW bag mounts were invisible while the H-B mounts looked hideous.THe Rnine T looked better though than the R1200R.But beauty is only skin-deep...;)
Too bad that BMW decided to make the R Nine T so impractical by leaving the options list so short because otherwise it could be a great bike and real alternative to the watercooled 1250 boxers...

So did you find a suitable alternative, thats more capable with intergrated hard luggage out of the box ?
I agree the air filter is a bit of a mission to change,
I wonder if a k&n on the snorkel would work for dusty trips to save the big change,
I may have been a bit blinkered having not found the limitations mentioned regarding handling,
With a 20mm lift at the rear the pegs and brake lever touch down with composure,
Budget wise i wouldnt want to spend more than i have on an equivalent ,

Roamer I ride now a 1250GS with 20mm taller ADV sports-suspension , BMW aluminum bags and cast wheels from BMW in stock sizes...A very good bike but I still would have loved a simpler aircooled boxer as a supplement if BMW would have enlarged the options list...I liked and still like the R Nine T which is a very beautiful bike despite it's shortcomings !

Back
Top Bottom