Upgraded suspension

BDG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If one wanted to upgrade the suspension on a 1250 GS (ESA)what are the best options please? I’m not saying it’s bad, but it could be better.

The best set I’ve ever had was Maxton reworking the shock and forks on a Ducati ST4s. So controlled, yet compliant, like riding on a magic carpet.

I rarely ride with a pillion, I travel light without the kitchen sink at a brisk pace away from motorways as much as possible.

Ideally comments from users rather than hearsay if possible.

Thanks.

Most of my bikes have aftermarket suspension; dialled in over many miles of use, or from professional input on tracks.
My 1250 had the best suspension by far. The damping is truly astonishing: far better than any conventional Ohlin's, WP or Wilbers that I've never used.

I'm genuinely interested into hearing your experience of any short comings.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

If one wanted to upgrade the suspension on a 1250 GS (ESA)what are the best options please? I’m not saying it’s bad, but it could be better.

The best set I’ve ever had was Maxton reworking the shock and forks on a Ducati ST4s. So controlled, yet compliant, like riding on a magic carpet.

I rarely ride with a pillion, I travel light without the kitchen sink at a brisk pace away from motorways as much as possible.

Ideally comments from users rather than hearsay if possible.

Thanks.

So why not approach Maxton’s again, they are probably one of if not the best in the U.K. I’m sure that they will accommodate you.

Most of my bikes have aftermarket suspension; dialled in over many miles of use, or from professional input on tracks.
My 1250 had the best suspension by far. The damping is truly astonishing: far better than any conventional Ohlin's, WP or Wilbers that I've never used.

I'm genuinely interested into hearing your experience of any short comings.

Hi Stanley, like you over the years I’ve set up the suspension on my bikes both road and off road to suit me. Probably because I’m on the large side and most bikes, especially Japanese are undersprung for me. I can never get the correct sag on standard springs. For me getting it sprung right for my weight is the first step before damping adjustments or revalving, particularly on enduro bikes.

Plus I haven’t got a clue about setting up the sag on a GS.

I have no intention of off roading the GS at all, other than maybe a simple gravel track.

I do find the GS pretty good for such a heavy lump, however on long, fast bumpy bends it’s not as good as I’d like. It has taken me a few thousand miles to adjust to the lack of front end dive and lack of feel from the front end but after 5,000 miles I’ve acclimatised to it. At first I didn’t like it and contemplated selling it. Glad I didn’t, especially after changing the original tyres. I’ve settled on leaving the suspension in dynamic and auto. With winter coming on I’ll be using my winter hack rather than getting the GS covered in salt, but contemplating possible improvements.

So why not approach Maxton’s again, they are probably one of if not the best in the U.K. I’m sure that they will accommodate you.

I may well do that as they also did great work on my KTM 990 SMT but being new to the world of GS’s am seeing what options folk have tried.

Maxton’s have just built me this bespoke rear shocker for my R1200C,

All they required was my accurate weight wearing all of my riding gear.

Two weeks from ordering to arriving last week.

Hope to get it fitted later today, obviously can’t say how good it is yet, but it looks to be a proper bit of quality kit.

However, I hear that Wilbers also supply good gear.

Attachments

• 8C634ED1-D924-4694-B4C6-9A94B3E75144.jpg
    8C634ED1-D924-4694-B4C6-9A94B3E75144.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 809
  • F6698654-17FF-4187-911B-A52CB7761889.jpg
    F6698654-17FF-4187-911B-A52CB7761889.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 798
  • BA657461-27C7-4CA9-AE1E-9773310067C2.jpg
    BA657461-27C7-4CA9-AE1E-9773310067C2.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 799
I chose the Touratech route for my 1200 ESA as a cheaper alternative to a 1250!
Adjustments that work, springs that are hard enough to carry the load - WNTL?

Thanks for that, I have seen good reports on Wilburs and used one of their shocks on an XR650R. Also read good reports on the Touratech shocks which I think are made by Tractive, not cheap but quality never is.

Wilbers need your BMW shock for the ESA to be transfered.
Touratech build their own complete units.

I went for TT which means I still have my BMW shocks to go back on the the bike when i Sell it.

Maxton’s have just built me this bespoke rear shocker for my R1200C,

All they required was my accurate weight wearing all of my riding gear.

Two weeks from ordering to arriving last week.

Hope to get it fitted later today, obviously can’t say how good it is yet, but it looks to be a proper bit of quality kit.

However, I hear that Wilbers also supply good gear.

Looks nice, typical Maxton but none ESA

I went for TT which means I still have my BMW shocks to go back on the the bike when i Sell it.

Good point, how much of an improvement are they over stock?

Hi Stanley, like you over the years I’ve set up the suspension on my bikes both road and off road to suit me. Probably because I’m on the large side and most bikes, especially Japanese are undersprung for me. I can never get the correct sag on standard springs. For me getting it sprung right for my weight is the first step before damping adjustments or revalving, particularly on enduro bikes.

Plus I haven’t got a clue about setting up the sag on a GS.

I have no intention of off roading the GS at all, other than maybe a simple gravel track.

I do find the GS pretty good for such a heavy lump, however on long, fast bumpy bends it’s not as good as I’d like. It has taken me a few thousand miles to adjust to the lack of front end dive and lack of feel from the front end but after 5,000 miles I’ve acclimatised to it. At first I didn’t like it and contemplated selling it. Glad I didn’t, especially after changing the original tyres. I’ve settled on leaving the suspension in dynamic and auto. With winter coming on I’ll be using my winter hack rather than getting the GS covered in salt, but contemplating possible improvements.
Thanks,
I'm maybe a bit lighter at under 80kg and also leave it in Dynamic and Auto too (although it remains great with a passenger too). The automatic preload is the only bit that I find slightly erratic... It seems to adjust itself fairly regularly, even if the load hasn't changed: I notice the height variation when I park the bike up. Luckily, for me, the damping remains perfect.

On an earlier GSA (2012 twin cam) I completely removed the ESA and fitted Touratech (made by Tractive) units; they were a great improvement.
I've also fitted a Wilbers rear unit to a similar bike, again with good results.
Both of these manual shocks had the full array of adjustments: preload, height adjust, high+low comp, rebound and correctly weighted spring. Both were beautifully made... I'd struggle to say I preferred one over the other! I'd buy either again.
I've no experience of upgrading to one of the dynamic systems though. I'd probably want to keep the original shocks intact for the future.

I guess you have to decide between a dynamic system and an old-school manually adjusted set up. As you understand suspension, I suspect you'd prefer old-school. Probably a bit less impact on the wallet too!

Good point, how much of an improvement are they over stock?

The difference is huge, you have adjustment of high and low speed compression, rebound is adjusted by the ESA. Preload is adustable on the front, the rear set by the ESA.
I found the stock suspension ok riding solo but totally overwhelmed fully loaded.
I went for the next spring rate over TT's std on the rear and TT's std on the front. I weigh 11 1/4 st fully kitted.
The rear spring is a good compromise between solo and fully loaded they reccomended the next weight up but that would be too much for solo riding

I wish Ohlins would make ESA compatible suspension for the 1250GS...Having said that the current sports-suspension (ADV shocks & Telelever arm) on my 2019 GS-HP is good enough that I only would think about replacing it if I would keep the bike longer than 3 years...Which I won't...;)

Just to be clear, TT don't build their own units. They are built by Tractive and they whack on a big markup. You can buy the same stuff cheaper from Tractive directly or from a dealer in the UK.

That’s very useful thanks.
Just to be clear, TT don't build their own units. They are built by Tractive and they whack on a big markup. You can buy the same stuff cheaper from Tractive directly or from a dealer in the UK.

Have you any links , as when I bought mine from TT the Tractive UK supplier could only match the price but that was about year ago . I had the full system front and rear and its great , really good.

:blast

That’s very useful thanks.

So not so useful then.;)
It’s irritating when unsubstantiated opinions are posted in an authoritative, untroubled by doubt, fact or qualification, manner.
Alan R

Back
Top Bottom