Insurance prices!?

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Recently changed my BMW R1200GS LC TE 2015 for a 2018 Triple Black.

I was paying £135 fully comp for the old one.

Renewal with Bennetts is £550!

I’ve searched high and low with the vast majority quoting in excess of £400!

Nothings changed, circumstances the same Full NCB 30 years riding, just a newer bike and the fact I’ve had it 2 months albeit the same model as the previous one I had for 5 years!

Tried eveywhere

Best is carol Nash select £237 which I’ll have to go with But begrudge paying that!

Recently changed my BMW R1200GS LC TE 2015 for a 2018 Triple Black.

I was paying £135 fully comp for the old one.

Renewal with Bennetts is £550!

I’ve searched high and low with the vast majority quoting in excess of £400!

Nothings changed, circumstances the same Full NCB 30 years riding, just a newer bike and the fact I’ve had it 2 months albeit the same model as the previous one I had for 5 years!

Tried eveywhere

Best is carol Nash select £237 which I’ll have to go with But begrudge paying that!

Has the new bike got a TFT screen whereas the old bike didn't ?
To be honest, I don't think paying £237 to insure a bike worth £14k is that bad when £135 covered a £9k-£10k bike

I’m with Bikesure, who are Adrian Flux and forum sponsors, got my 2018 GSA Rallye and 2019 R Nine T Pure for £390.

Could be worth giving them a call.

There’s a dedicated insurance sub-section for stuff like this. In it you’ll find a plethora of piss boiled like minds, along with all sorts of useful hints and tips on putting it to the man.

There’s a dedicated insurance sub-section for stuff like this. In it you’ll find a plethora of piss boiled like minds, along with all sorts of useful hints and tips on putting it to the man.

Yes, but if they've got a 1200/1250 toilet, every fart, burp, news of the latest upholstery change in Starbucks or change of handles on Tesco trolleys HAS to go in the 1200/1250 forum.
Don't you know ANYTHING ? :augie

Yes it does have a TFT. I’ve tried MCE £459. I’ll give Bikesure a go before I commit to anything.

Give BEMOTO a try, 2 bikes GS1250 and CBF1000 for £275!!!
Same policy as my renewal with Aviva via Devitts who wanted £550

Great people to deal with and no costs to add anything etc

Bemoto were significantly cheaper for me, I moved from a 2016 Triumph Tiger 1200 to the 2019 1250GSA, obviously I expected the price to go up but my insurers refused to insure me and for some reason everyone else was quoting in the regions of 5x the price of my old bike. Obviously I expected it to rise but not by that much. Bemoto's price was much more palatable.

Give BEMOTO a try, 2 bikes GS1250 and CBF1000 for £275!!!
Same policy as my renewal with Aviva via Devitts who wanted £550

Great people to deal with and no costs to add anything etc

I tried this lot and totally useless was my opinion - interesting how we all want the same thing yet have very different experiences in the process.

Bennetts more than doubled my insurance premium a few years ago so I went with Hastings direct instead. Move on a couple of renewals and Hastings put their prices up too. Last renewal back with Bennetts again. Insurers don't seem to have any consistency in what they charge. Have a look on The Bike Insurer website it's the one I tend to use...

Difficult to compare quotes like for like when we all have different circumstances. Postcode, accidents, points, NCD etc. Just insured my 2018.5 1200GSA with MCE for just short of £200.

Difficult to compare quotes like for like when we all have different circumstances. Postcode, accidents, points, NCD etc. Just insured my 2018.5 1200GSA with MCE for just short of £200.

what's a 2018.5 ...mister?

Does .5 make it superior?:D

Yes it does have a TFT.

I may be wide of the mark but suspect part of your price rise lies with the new, fancy, expensive and easily steal-able TFT coupled with the extra value a far newer bike has over your old one.

I recently renewed the insurance on a 2010 GS with Bennetts for £160. Just got a quote on a new 1250 from them - £950. Tried Carole Nash - £800. WTF ?

Cornmarket, the IAM lot, price matched (and a bit less) this week for me.
Carole Nash were off the scale. You’ve got to expect that expensive bikes are expensive to insure though, the variation is bewildering though.

Lots of useful info in the Insurance section.

BTW
You’ll find that when you get to near 19k posts like Tarker :p you’ll start to find your way around here. You’ll be a God if you ever get anything like Steptoe’s nr 60k posts!

Back
Top Bottom