Keeping DIN socket but adding USB

Cyber

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I bought myself a dual USB from Nippy Norman to replace the DIN socket on my GS.
After some thinking I was thinking of adding a second bracket up by the dash somewhere for the DIN rather than mounting it down near the battery.
I know it would be simple to pop down near the battery but it would be nice to use the CANBUS for charging with the optimate. Obviously connected directly to the battery won’t allow this so......

Suggestions of where to mound a second DIN? I was thinking of trying to utilise one of these:

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-s1000xr-k49-bracket-for-additional-socket-outlet.html

Then to save butchering my NN USB socket, is this what I’ll need to connect to base and run direct (fused) to the battery:

https://www.nippynormans.com/optimate-and-sockets/tyco-amp-te-es-series-superseal-connector-2-pole

That way I can keep the DIN in its place and have the USB straight to battery..

Hope there is some logic in that ramble?

I dont know what bike you have but you can get the din socket as an option up by the instrument cluster

i believe you can get a piggyback fly lead so get another and run it to the oppressive side of the instruments

I have a 2019 GS, it has the DIN socket up there, ultimately a second bracket and connection to the CANBUS would be perfect

Got a nippy norman din socket and bracket on frame just below seat, comes with loom to connect to battery. Ideal for optimate and/or tyre pump

Got a nippy norman din socket and bracket on frame just below seat, comes with loom to connect to battery. Ideal for optimate and/or tyre pump

Hi, cheers. I have that but doesn’t connect via the CANBUS circuit, that’s wired directly to the battery.

Is there a specific reason why it needs to be CANBUS for charging? I've done it connected direct for my CTek charger.

Thanks, I saw that.
I would rather keep the CANBUS connected as is, with the USB socket from NN up front with it. The bit I’m struggling with is the connector on the back of the BMW Can socket up front (which is also the same as the NN USB socket). I need both up at the dash level, not on the side.

The one connected direct to the battery has its advantages, you can make the lead as long as required and put it anywhere on the bike. My friend has one at the front ,opposite side to the OE one.

I agree but it’s the USB I want to connect directly you the battery, not the BMW socket.

bmw do a kit for an extra din socket,i fitted the nippy normans twin usb and bought just the loom from the kit,everything uses bmw plugs and still canbus and you end up with a length of live and earth which is canbus controlled,i used it to power a tom tom

Sounds perfect, if you get a mo, pop a link in would be good. :thumb

Hi, cheers. I have that but doesn’t connect via the CANBUS circuit, that’s wired directly to the battery.

There are I am told, disadvantages to charging via canbus, as I recall, to do with charging cycles using optimate type chargers, worth a look at optimate website to research

There are I am told, disadvantages to charging via canbus, as I recall, to do with charging cycles using optimate type chargers, worth a look at optimate website to research

That’s this afternoons rainy day project.... thanks

Back
Top Bottom