HELP!!! - Rear Wheel Adjusters

Deleted account 210609001

Reaction score
I've taken the rear wheel out to get a puncture repaired. Taken the opportunity to give the axle and bits a clean a clean. And I've got the adjusters mixed up in the process. I thought they were interchangeable but now realise they're not - they have different size bits. The one on the right (in the photo) has a thicker lip on it. As this is where the adjusters locate, it's going to make a difference.

Can anyone tell me which one goes on which side please?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3273_heic-M.jpg

Hard to say ‘cos I’ve just looked at Jaq’s bike and these ‘lips’ are on the inner faces; i think you need a parts diagram ...

Hmm hard to tell without ripping mine apart and it is too cold and rainy for that this morning. But... if you look at ETK here are the part numbers (if there are any numbers on them) :

These are for my F800GS:

36 31 7698731 - right hand side
36 31 7720907 - left hand side.

These are F700GS
36 31 7726977 - right
36 31 7726976 - Left

Now, if you really get stuck... left hand side part is more expensive... I know what I'd deduce out of it. :)

Hope that helps you.

Is your bike a 700? I have a 650 but the adjusters aren't like yours. I would say the one on the left is for the threaded end of the spindle. Looking at the right one it doesn't have room to fit the spindle nut as the hole is closer to the 'lip'. The 650 has flats on the other end of the spindle, if the 700 is similar that looks as though goes with the one on the right.

Is your bike a 700? I have a 650 but the adjusters aren't like yours. I would say the one on the left is for the threaded end of the spindle. Looking at the right one it doesn't have room to fit the spindle nut as the hole is closer to the 'lip'. The 650 has flats on the other end of the spindle, if the 700 is similar that looks as though goes with the one on the right.

Exactly this! I watched some youtube videos - you can always rely on that as definitive fact, of course - and this is the case. Went out and had a play with them and the flats on the non-nut end of the spindle engage against the edge of the thicker lipped insert (the one on the right in the pic above). The thinner lip on the other one leaves room for the nut to be tightened with a socket.

Oblertone, the differently-sized lips should be visible when it's installed (I think). Trying to envisage it from the warmth of my sofa is making my head ache a bit. It's too cold and wet to go back into the garage. I'll post a photo when it's all back together again.

Abraxas - "too cold and wet" is a poor excuse. :D Thanks for that really good information though. There are no numbers on the parts themselves. That would be too helpful of BMW!

Thanks everyone for your help - I really appreciate it.

Exactly this! I watched some youtube videos - you can always rely on that as definitive fact, of course - and this is the case. Went out and had a play with them and the flats on the non-nut end of the spindle engage against the edge of the thicker lipped insert (the one on the right in the pic above). The thinner lip on the other one leaves room for the nut to be tightened with a socket.

Oblertone, the differently-sized lips should be visible when it's installed (I think). Trying to envisage it from the warmth of my sofa is making my head ache a bit. It's too cold and wet to go back into the garage. I'll post a photo when it's all back together again.

Abraxas - "too cold and wet" is a poor excuse. :D Thanks for that really good information though. There are no numbers on the parts themselves. That would be too helpful of BMW!

Thanks everyone for your help - I really appreciate it.

Glad to help. The lips do face outwards. If you look at the blocks you will see the witness marks from the spindle end and nut/washer.

Lips defo not visible on Jaq’s F650 but of course your’s may be different, or ours might be wrongly assembled :nenau

Pretty sure that the thick lip butts up against the flat on the end of the wheel spindle, it stops the spindle turning as you tighten the nut. So the thin lip is on the nut side. (chain side)

Glad to help. The lips do face outwards. If you look at the blocks you will see the witness marks from the spindle end and nut/washer.

I would have noticed if I'd put them back incorrectly. At least I've saved myself that hassle. And you're dead right, close inspection of the blocks would have tipped me off as to which one has the spindle on, and which one the nuts. "Witness marks" is not a phrase or term I've come across before but I will now shoehorn it into any relevant conversation (without revealing that my own shameful incompetence played a part in discovering it).

Witness marks definition.

Back
Top Bottom