F800 GS Service Life

oldterrace@gmail.com

Reaction score
My 2008 F800 GS has 105K Km and was lacking power. A Compression test showed 145 and 125 lbs compression way down on 170 psi minimum but it does not burn oil and as the timing chain was starting to stretch I decided to purchased a used engine which shows a compression of 205 lbs per cylinder. The used engine cost $A1400 being from a 2013 model with 38 K Km so will have lots of kilometers to run. I was reviewing my repairs and realised I have replaced most components except the frame and body panels. My bike has had any easy life being over serviced with best lubricant's and used for long trips ridden easily as I have smaller bikes I use locally.

I see that on the highest mileage thread a lot of F800 seem to have 160K km and still going. What is the other side are some bikes failing at low kilometers like mine ?
I am going to keep the bike as I have a lot invested in repairs in the last 2 years. The first 9 years were mostly trouble free.
My mechanic has advised that 100K km is a good run from an 800 but I would have expected more Km.
I have had some wonderful experiences on this bike but i want more.

Have i had a bed run or am I expecting too much.:nenau

I know in the US there are plenty of high mileage 800's and 100,000 kms doesn't seem like a good run to me!

I'm expecting at least double that from my 800GSA and I can't see a reason why it wouldn't do it.

Doesn't Mickeys F800 of this parish have 150k miles on it ?

Doesn't Mickeys F800 of this parish have 150k miles on it ?

I think 143,000 + when I sold it. Still going strong, original timing chain and clutch. Valve clearances bang on halfway between max/min allowed, and never required adjusting.
Didn't burn any oil either :D

:beerjug:

I think 143,000 + when I sold it. Still going strong, original timing chain and clutch. Valve clearances bang on halfway between max/min allowed, and never required adjusting.
Didn't burn any oil either :D

:beerjug:

So boring :D

Mine lasted 11,300 miles and 3 years before it sh#t its bores, pistons, bottom end and balancer shaft bearings ,it now has a new engine courtesy of BMW , gets scary when you price up parts for the rotax motors.
If the previous owner is on here I can only say that ' you sir are a ham fisted mechanical ingrate gibbon'

Mine is about 300 miles from 100,000 miles, starting to look a bit tatty now (it lives outside)returns 60mpg, doesn’t use oil, starts first time, runs and rides great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a well known chap in Spain who has been posting his mileage for the past several years every 100,000 kms. He did a short YouTube video of the instrument cluster when he passed 700,000 kms.

Here is something he posted back at the 600,000 km mark. See his post #8 for the list of maintenance/replacement parts.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/600-000-kms-f800gs.1318256/

The rest of us are wimps compared to this guy.

Back
Top Bottom