Offroad tyres, does make it sense to mix them?

Sebas77

Reaction score
Hi

Completely new and registered mainly to ask this question to experts (hoping this is the right forum) . I have a bmw f850gs and next year I count to start doing some off road. I am currently researching what tyres to buy. I don't intend to swap them for each occasion so I need at least 50 50 tyres, that must be fully safe on wet tarmac. As far as I can understand there isn't a perfect solution. All the good off on road tyres do not have an aggressive grip on the front wheel which is somehow worrying. I was wondering then if it could make sense mixing tyres from different brands.
I had in mind tkc 80 for front and pirelli str for back although I didn't check if they are compatible yet.
Thoughts?

I ran tkc80 front and mitas E07 on the rear of my R9T with no issues beyond the typical wet weather tarmac issues I'd have had with a matching pair of either. The mixing made no difference.

Hi

Completely new and registered mainly to ask this question to experts (hoping this is the right forum) . I have a bmw f850gs and next year I count to start doing some off road. I am currently researching what tyres to buy. I don't intend to swap them for each occasion so I need at least 50 50 tyres, that must be fully safe on wet tarmac. As far as I can understand there isn't a perfect solution. All the good off on road tyres do not have an aggressive grip on the front wheel which is somehow worrying. I was wondering then if it could make sense mixing tyres from different brands.
I had in mind tkc 80 for front and pirelli str for back although I didn't check if they are compatible yet.
Thoughts?

I use this MT21 on the front of my T7, with something milder in the rear

Good up to 90mph on the road

c16a64b71765513c0474414d2575e5d2.jpg

Thank you for the advice. How important is the front tyre on wet tarmac? Is it as important as the back tyre or for leaning in to curves the back tyre makes more of a difference?

Have a look at Heidenau Scouts, not as noisy on the road as the block pattern TKs,wear rate is quite slow and very useful off road,depends on your experience too.TKS make your bike look as hard as fuck through. ����

michelin anakee wilds or bridgestone ax41 have been my choice for 50/50 great on a wet road ,

Thank you for the advice. How important is the front tyre on wet tarmac? Is it as important as the back tyre or for leaning in to curves the back tyre makes more of a difference?

well all the driving force goes through the back wheel, where as all your steering input goes through the front, a lack of grip on the front will allow the front to wash out and you will low side.

Lets be completley honest, non of the tyres that are any good off road are any good on road, end of fact get used to it, they are useable and legal on the road but they are not high grip, feck arse around levels of grip you just adapt your riding to allow for it. I currently run Mitas 07 on my 990, Heidnau scouts on my 640adv and Mitas E08 on R1100GS.

They are all pretty good road tyres, I have mixed all three at varous times and run tkc80 with different tyre front and rear, If you are doing real mud off road then nothing less than tkc80 at the least will work.

I have allways intended to try the motoz tractionator tyres, the adventure looks like it might be a better off road tyre with good on road performance but have not tried them yet, have a look at the adventure spec web site

Watching most of the chapmoto tests it seems that dunlop trailmax mission is what I am looking for. I think I'll buy those. The guy from chap Moto is awesome

Back
Top Bottom