Erratic speed readings

Foxracer

Reaction score
So my Xmoto speedo does this weird thing where the speed displayed keeps flipping between the actual speed, and a speed that's slightly more than half the actual speed.

For example, if I'm travelling at 50, the display will keep flipping between 50 and maybe 36. It's odd, and annoying. I'm guessing it's maybe a fault with wherever the speed is read from? Anyone seen anything similar or have any ideas as to what I can check?

Thanks

Speed sensor is from what looks like an abs ring fixed to the rear hub. The sensor is located in a black plastic mount that (from memory) the rear brake disc passes when you mount the wheel. They recommend you remove the sensor from the plastic mount when you remove the wheel to prevent damage.

Suggest check that both the sensor and ring are clean and undamaged, and the sensor is securely mounted

Pics of ring and sensor below, so you know what you're looking for

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201025_184551_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201025_184551_com.android.chrome.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_20201025_184640_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201025_184640_com.android.chrome.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 137
Thanks GFJ, that's really helpful! I'll take a look at both parts and see if either look damaged.

Cheers

Do you know what the gap should be please?

There is no specified gap so you do not need to measure it , there is no provision for adjusting it . On some bikes you can add shims to adjust it but that is not the case on the G650X bikes . As long as it is not contacting the sensor ring you will be fine

Thanks to everyone for your input! It seems the culprit was indeed the speed sensor ring. A couple of the screws were loose so the ring wobbled. I also note that it is slightly bent. It looks a bit weathered, so I might replace it eventually but simply tightening the screws seems to have made an improvement.

Cheers

Thanks to everyone for your input! It seems the culprit was indeed the speed sensor ring. A couple of the screws were loose so the ring wobbled. I also note that it is slightly bent. It looks a bit weathered, so I might replace it eventually but simply tightening the screws seems to have made an improvement.

Cheers
My experience is that if the ring is even slightly bent then erratic speedo readings result. Straightening the ring out cured the problem in my case, there was no need for a new one. Cheers, Ian.

Back
Top Bottom