1250 Header Flaps Jam?

hawkeye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On some of the FB forums, there are a few reports of the flaps (???) in the headers on the 1250's jamming, causing an error message on the TFT and that BMW recognise the issue and if it happens will replace the headers under warranty. Some owners say the flaps can be released by removing a cable?

Is this flap jamming in the headers a major issue, or just affecting a few machines? Its hard to tell.

I'm fairly new to owning an R1250GS - can someone explain what these flaps are for, is it better for them to run released, if so how do I do it (as I can't see any cables going to my headers).

TIA

Do a search, tons of info on the flaps. But they setup has been the same since 2014 and on RTs as well. I have had two new sets of headers because of the flap sticking open. Headers for the RT are £1200. It is a big issue, even on the 1250s some are jamming at around 4k miles. If under warranty don't worry, if not, then they normally stick open so again no real issue if stuck open. The issue is, up to the 1250 if the flap stuck open, there was no visible warning, just a code on the ECU, so you didn't know. Now with the engine warning you have to do something about it. Yes you can free them off, by removing the silencer and then remove the cover that goes over where the silencer meets the headers, you will see the mechanism, its a disc with cables to it that come from the servo. When you start up, the flap rotates from open to closed. The flap is for noise reduction, so doesn't impact performance. The bad news is, once it sticks, even if you free it off, it doesn't seem to last long before it sticks again, you normally hear a squeak when its on its way out. If the bike is out of warranty, you can disconnect the cables and buy a gizmo that plugs into the servo so it fools the ECU. But if its knackered, even though it doesn't impact the bike performance, when you trade or go for a service, Mr BMW will know the bike needs new headers.

done already

My bike had been in for a brake issue. when I set off from the dealer the TFT message (to return to a dealer) came on.
They said the flap had sized and would replace the exhaust. it only had 9000 miles on.
Spoke to the Mechanic at Alan Jefferies they are still made by the same Italian company and have the problems they have always had since fitting.

It was still ridable with it sized, they just turned off the warring light.

My bike had been in for a brake issue. when I set off from the dealer the TFT message (to return to a dealer) came on.
They said the flap had sized and would replace the exhaust. it only had 9000 miles on.
Spoke to the Mechanic at Alan Jefferies they are still made by the same Italian company and have the problems they have always had since fitting.

It was still ridable with it sized, they just turned off the warring light.
one size may not fit all, but don’t go to war over it;)
Alan R

On the older model 1200 tc , the solution is :- remove the flappy unit and replace with a bit of s pipe :thumb2 jobs a goodun

I have a 2019 1250RT - engine warning light has come on at 5700 miles, flap will not turn fully closed (by hand with cables disconnected) and feels "sticky". Not a happy bunny :green gri

i've taken the cables and motor off mine and installed a little electrical gizmo to make the bike think it's still there. Sounds great along with the open silencer.

i've taken the cables and motor off mine and installed a little electrical gizmo to make the bike think it's still there. Sounds great along with the open silencer.

Is there any loss (or change to) the power curve by doing this?

Is there any loss (or change to) the power curve by doing this?

The flap has nothing to do with power curve, it is for noise pollution. So even if stuck open, the exhaust is noisier on tick over as its wide open, but that is it.

Attachments

• CB790617-64C0-4DBB-9E70-37931CB4B4B6.jpeg
    CB790617-64C0-4DBB-9E70-37931CB4B4B6.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 188
Hi temp nikel paste is a fix.

But it doesn't fix, just delays. Unless you want to whip off your silencer and mechanism cover every few months to apply. Nothing stays on the spindle in the exhaust. I have been using Permatex Nickel anti seize high temp. On the 2015 bike I have just freed the flap off on, this works for about a couple of months, then it starts to squeak again.

But it doesn't fix, just delays. Unless you want to whip off your silencer and mechanism cover every few months to apply. Nothing stays on the spindle in the exhaust. I have been using Permatex Nickel anti seize high temp. On the 2015 bike I have just freed the flap off on, this works for about a couple of months, then it starts to squeak again.

Yes agree but since no other option, this is your frend, mr nikel paste

Back
Top Bottom