Nav V or VI - should I buy one?

SBD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I might be being a bit dim here, but what benefits do I get for my six hundred or so quid?

I’ve got a shiny new 1250GS, an iphone, and Sena 5 headset in my helmet. The nagivation seems to work using my BMW Connected app, and if that winds me up, I can just link the iphone to the Sena and use Google directions, as I used to with my F650 & Guzzi.

The downside of the current setup is that the TFT is displaying nav data rather than the usual stuff, and I guess I’m dependent on having a phone signal to use google, and I guess that might start to cost money if I tootle off to Europe, specially post B...t.

I’d like to take the Guzzi to Mandello next September, so buying a Nav VI (or a second hand V?) to use on the GS, and purchasing a second Garmin mount to allow me fit it to the Guzzi would be a way forward, but is it worth it?

What does the assembled wisdom recommend?

Cheers
Simon

If you're happy with the iphone and you know where you're going then preload the Google offline maps? Or load up a phone app that does the same (several available).

Or pay a lot less for a 2nd hand Nav VI. Can't see the value in buying one new at the moment.

get a S/H Nav 5 on this site.

If you don't take to it - you won't lose a bundle, reselling.

I have a Nav V - many of my pals have them or a Nav V1. The only real advantage as far as I'm concerned is that if one of us plans a route (usually me) we can there meet for a ride and share the routes amongst us via the bluetooth facility. As far as I know this would not be possible, or as easy, if everyone was using a different system.

That said, if my Navigator went tits up I wouldn't buy another but I'd use my iPhone XR as my primary sat nav. Bear in mind if you do go down the phone only route that an accidentally dropped and broken phone, or if is becomes lost, leaves you with nothing, whereas a phone and a satnav at least gives some back up

ps - I predict as BMW roll out to different bikes the all in one TFT screen as promised for the 2021 RT, then there will be a flood of used Navigators on the market. Another reason not to buy a new one!

One of the main benefits of a bmw nav 5 or 6 is that it connects to the wonder wheel giving you quite an amount of data.if you just want the occasional use of a sat nav for the odd Trip, look at a S/H 660,It won’t work off the wheel, but is basically the same as the bmw nav without the badge ,

Thanks guys.

I’m tempted by the discount new ones, The two-year warranty and lifetime maps (there’s a thread about the “joys” of getting the map updates transferred on 2nd hand, tho it obviously can be done) and the potential to fit a second cradle to the Guzzi are all good reasons. And the wonder wheel of course.

There’s a thread about 6’s having screen problems are a bit of a concern, though it does seem to be fairly limited, I guess you’re lucky, or not.

Any more for any more?

Cheers
Simon

Not sure what the "joys" are you're referring to?

As far as I'm aware all V & VI Navigators have lifetime maps - they're linked to the device, not the owner.

I've had my Nav V since 2016. Never had an issue of any kind with it (is that the kiss of death?)
It stays on the bike all the time. Covered 32000 miles here and abroad
I import gpx routes to it but have never used basecamp
Use Garmin express to update on PC, works everytime
The thing just works for me, can sometimes be a little slow in towns with junctions as in 'oh, it was that one'
Updates fine, just had to add a memory card as the internal gets full quick
I looked at the VI and did like the better polarised screen but couldn't justify the extra it costs

I have a mint Nav 6 complete with case, manuals, lead and screwdriver etc. Just changed the K1600B for a Goldwing which has the built-in GPS so the BMW Nav 6 is now surplus and going up for sale on here once I can take some photos to show off its blemish free nature. Bob

I bought a mint nearly new 6 off here at a jolly good price. As with the chap above ... you will always find someone here who will sell you one a lot less than £600. They are VERY good, great clear display with lots of features. :thumb

There are no problems with updating lifetime maps onto devices that have been sold to (or bought by) a new owner. I own a secondhand Nav V and VI, the maps on which I have updated several times without any difficulties.

If you want to create your own bespoke maps in Garmin’s own BaseCamp or MapSource (or any of the suitable third party route creation software providers) then either device will work really well.
Similarly, a phone capable of running an app that can accept GPX files (Scenic or Pocket Earth, for example) should work; see the additional comments below.

If you just want to follow a route created for you by say, Google, then a phone will work admirably well. Then remember you may have problems (as some do) with waterproofing a phone and / or protecting it from vibrations and / or maybe overheating in hot direct sun. Not least, if you lose or break your phone, you scupper yourself for calls and navigation.

Thanks for the views, much appreciated.

the map updates - I had read at least one thread (on here, I thought, but I can't find it again) which indicated that the renewals were tied to the owner, rather than the instrument, and Garmin required proof of transfer of ownership. Maybe I misunderstood.

anyway, I shall now look for a deal!

thanks again
Simon

You should believe half of what you read and nothing of what you hear.

The maps are definitely coded to the device.

Thanks for the views, much appreciated.

the map updates - I had read at least one thread (on here, I thought, but I can't find it again) which indicated that the renewals were tied to the owner, rather than the instrument, and Garmin required proof of transfer of ownership. Maybe I misunderstood.

anyway, I shall now look for a deal!

thanks again
Simon

The seller 'de-registers' the device on the MyGarmin site. The purchaser then 'registers' it similarly.

Having the device registered- you can then install the entire mapping on your PC/Laptop

it really is that simple.

Nav 5 1st came out in 2013....

In the spotted deal - posted by my good self you can via the german website obtain a premium version of tomtom go for phones for free. Yes sweet f*ck all.

Be quick though other wise it id 12.99 per year for worldwide maps all downloaded to your phone with no data charges.

Hello, Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit thick, but could you please tell me the process you go through to import gpx files into your Nav V without using Basecamp?

I've had my Nav V since 2016. Never had an issue of any kind with it (is that the kiss of death?)
It stays on the bike all the time. Covered 32000 miles here and abroad
I import gpx routes to it but have never used basecamp
Use Garmin express to update on PC, works everytime
The thing just works for me, can sometimes be a little slow in towns with junctions as in 'oh, it was that one'
Updates fine, just had to add a memory card as the internal gets full quick
I looked at the VI and did like the better polarised screen but couldn't justify the extra it costs

Hello, Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit thick, but could you please tell me the process you go through to import gpx files into your Nav V without using Basecamp?

Download the gpx files onto my PC and then drag them into the Nav V
On the Nav device memory there is a folder called GPX. I drag the gpx files to there
Most of them then appear in
Apps
Trip Planner

Some appear in
Apps
Tracks

I'm sure someone will be able to explain how which goes where and why, but I know they are all there and can find them as I re-named each file so I know which is which

Wapping has a thread where he painstakingly, and with great effort, produced a whole load for the NC 500 in sections and as a whole route

I also downloaded a few from Ride magazines site, they have a good selection of UK and European rides

I tried Basecamp and gave up. It baffled me. I beleive it is great if you ant to create your own routes, one day I may well sit down and try and master it

HGS’ method will certainly work and cut out the terrors of using BaseCamp or MapSource.

In essence, a track is a record of where someone has been. Think of it as a trail of breadcrumbs. A route, is a set of instructions, telling someone where to go. Think of it like you telling someone over the phone how to get to your house and them writing it down: “Go down the M1 to junction 5. Leave the M1 at junction 5 and take the first exit at the roundabout....”

Routes and tracks are different. For example a track, if run on a GPS device without being converted into a route, will not give turn by turn voice instructions.

As they are different and serve different purposes, the device stores them separately.

Back
Top Bottom