cylinder ticking noise

How do you know its the injectors ?
I think my noise is from there but dont know how to prove it. Why would an injector tick?
Its really p**** me off as it seems worse when hot.

Thanks.

Stick a mechanics stethoscope against them. Or failing that, use a screwdriver with the thick end in your ere 'ole. Touch them and feel the clicking going on. Why shouldn't they click? They're a valve being opened and closed.

The first time I realised the noise injectors made was when I ran a daughter's Fiat Seicento with the air filter off. Single point injector, it sounded like HT arcing until I realised what was going on. Piezoelectric activation.

If anyone wants to know what injector noise sounds like listen to the b48 that BMW puts in some of its cars.

Stick a mechanics stethoscope against them. Or failing that, use a screwdriver with the thick end in your ere 'ole. Touch them and feel the clicking going on. Why shouldn't they click? They're a valve being opened and closed.

Good point ChazzyB.
I will try that as i am hoping it is just the injectors.
Thanks for the help.

Hi guys!do you think that the “new” 2021 model maybe solved this ticking from left cylinder??here in greece the bmw mechanics told us the same..thats normal.but iam curious about the 21 models..thanks guys....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My "ticking" / "tapping" from the left cylinder has turned out to be excessive valve guide clearance. New head and valves being fitted at the moment.

My "ticking" / "tapping" from the left cylinder has turned out to be excessive valve guide clearance. New head and valves being fitted at the moment.

Yes I know some guys here who do the same but the noise coming back...

Well, the bike had been in for inspection.
Inlet cam is knackered. The guys showed me the wear marks.
Fully confident that it will get sorted, but super disappointed that this has happened.

2020 bike, under 4k miles

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Well, the bike had been in for inspection.
Inlet cam is knackered. The guys showed me the wear marks.
Fully confident that it will get sorted, but super disappointed that this has happened.

2020 bike, under 4k miles

Does it have any other symptoms??or only the cluttering?i have heard about 10 bikes and all make the same noise..

Does it have any other symptoms??or only the cluttering?i have heard about 10 bikes and all make the same noise..

No other symptoms. Runs great. Sounds like a WW1 machine gun. I could maybe live with the noise, but not the flaking cams.

I’d be more than a little concerned as to know where all the metal that has worn off the cam in such a short space of time has ended up.

The sump plug has a magnet in it, you could change the oil and have a look to see if there is any metal particles on the magnet.

Very good video to see problem, and good fix in other video from man

I’d be more than a little concerned as to know where all the metal that has worn off the cam in such a short space of time has ended up.

The sump plug has a magnet in it, you could change the oil and have a look to see if there is any metal particles on the magnet.

Its in the big ends, the mains, the small ends, the bores, valves, all the other bearings, its in the grearbox, clutch.. and all over the place. Would you want to keep this engine after this had happened? May as well just put grinding paste in it :blast

Back
Top Bottom