cylinder ticking noise

Good info .
Mine has started ticking at 1000 miles......

My 6 week old 1250 had just started making a racket from the left hand cylinder (just under 4k miles). It's going in later this week for an inspection.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Sadly not chaps

That's a US recall / warranty advisory

There warranty / recall system is very different to ours

Until DVSA (UK) issue a recall / advisory for the fault it's on a case by case basis with BMW UK

Yes this bit of paper is usefull, but is US only i'm afraid

I don't think mine is the cams. The noise seems to be further down than the top end. Just a mild annoyance really... It's still quieter than my 2014 ever was. I'll get it checked out. If something needs fixing, than I know it will get sorted. If not, then I'll just crack on putting the miles on. If it goes bang, then it goes bang!

Sadly not chaps

That's a US recall / warranty advisory

There warranty / recall system is very different to ours

Until DVSA (UK) issue a recall / advisory for the fault it's on a case by case basis with BMW UK

Yes this bit of paper is usefull, but is US only i'm afraid

Harry Meijer make no problem, he show me this paper in Holland, BMW is BMW

My cams went, then about 12 months after my small end, and also scores in the cylinder. Just run in my new engine.
Once your cams have gone, its a done deal... all that metal going around the system grinding things. If it happens to me again, I'll insist on a new engine.
They used to make cams 30 years ago that would last over 150K +.. my cams didn't make it to 10K !!

Sad thing is the dealers seem to have the same answer if you mention the noise.
Which is “ that’s normal , and not an issue “
Odd as when my cam wheel cam off , they said similar to me before , but had just changed the cams (2016) .Perhaps more push should be put with the article. Again if you keep your bike over the 3 yrs the warranty is worth it .

Sad thing is the dealers seem to have the same answer if you mention the noise.
Which is “ that’s normal , and not an issue “
Odd as when my cam wheel cam off , they said similar to me before , but had just changed the cams (2016) .Perhaps more push should be put with the article. Again if you keep your bike over the 3 yrs the warranty is worth it .

Had a new timing gear assembly on mine too after the cams, the knocker in mine is like trigger’s broom :rolleyes:

I don't think mine is the cams. The noise seems to be further down than the top end. Just a mild annoyance really... It's still quieter than my 2014 ever was. I'll get it checked out. If something needs fixing, than I know it will get sorted. If not, then I'll just crack on putting the miles on. If it goes bang, then it goes bang!

My mates bike was a 2013 bike , it went bang as he had a rattle from low in the head , eventually the the cam chain broke . The bike always seemed rattley but again the dealers said all was normal and the usual "they all do that" .
Once the engine was stripped it turned out the cam chain had been rubbing and this had worn away the link pins , thus splitting the chain , new engine fitted , but when it went bang he was on it if you get the drift , he was lucky to keep control as the engine had imploded.
Get to your dealer and ask for an inspection.

At tickover, the loudest ticking noise on mine comes from the injectors.

How do you know its the injectors ?
I think my noise is from there but dont know how to prove it. Why would an injector tick?
Its really p**** me off as it seems worse when hot.

Thanks.

BMW technical say the tick on the left cylinder is perfectly normal. They even sent a senior tech out to meet me from BMW UK to prove to me that this is normal. I'm not totally convinced lol

At tickover, the loudest ticking noise on mine comes from the injectors.
Mine went from being lovely and quiet like that, to making a racket over the course of just 140 miles .
Was riding really gently too, owing to the current state of the roads (mud, leaves, wet, etc).
Let's see what they say on Friday. I'm fully prepared for the, "nothing wrong" diagnosis, and I have a few responses ready for them too .
It's not like I've bought the bike as a family heirloom, so not that bothered really. Did like the quiet though!

Engines that don't last beyond 10, 20 or 30K... whats it coming to??

I've done nearly 5000 miles on my 1250GSA, it had a new engine at 200 miles due to piston slap and then shims done on the new engine as they were out of tolerance. Apparently the ticking on the left side is due to the decompression valve and the man from BMW UK told me "they all do that". But mine is the same, whisper quiet on startup, once it hits about 70 degress it starts tapping.

I've done nearly 5000 miles on my 1250GSA, it had a new engine at 200 miles due to piston slap and then shims done on the new engine as they were out of tolerance. Apparently the ticking on the left side is due to the decompression valve and the man from BMW UK told me "they all do that". But mine is the same, whisper quiet on startup, once it hits about 70 degress it starts tapping.
My previous 2014 had one cam replaced owing to the decompression issue. That makes a very recognisable noise that disappears with increased revs. These "new noises" aren't that... Certainly, mine isn't!

Mine (1250) made a racket after 4500 miles just from the left cylinder... I don't buy into the theory that "they all do it" simply put, they don't i know loads of owners whose bikes don't make any kind of ticking noise... BMW tech listened to mine and straight away advised it was not right and wanted to investigate further.....

I fixed the problem during my next visit to the dealership....

Back
Top Bottom