Some advice on a 2003 Road King needed

Devon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I picked up a 2003 FLHR Road King today that I won unseen in auction last week. It's very tidy and runs well and comes with a screen, Panniers, rack and passenger back rest. Mileage is 13k and it looks like it's running the original drive belt. Doing a quick web search it seems the cam tensioner is the Achilles heel on the 1450 twin cam engine. Do I wait for a few more thousand miles before sorting the tensioner (I believe Harley recommend changing it every 30k) or should it be sorted now as the machine is 17 years old. Same with the drive belt really, can it be left as the mileage is low or should it be changed? The last owner also fitted an American brand reusable oil filter, are these safe to keep cleaning and reusing? I plan on hanging on to the bike for a while: is there any preventive maintenance recommended for this 2003 model. I am not that knowledgably about Harleys but I did own a Evo Electra Glide for a couple of years and I get Harleys. Thanks in advance

Get the cam tensioner checked - it’s easy enough - then you will see if it needs updating.

Swop out the reusable filter and change the oil and filter every 5k

The belt... now this is complicated -

Check it for tears, cracks and stones... easy enough rotating the rear wheel whilst looking between pannier and wheel..... then lie on the floor under the pannier and look at the edge of the belt.... you are looking for delamination... if the sandwich of the belt is still intact ... then ignore it and ride it.....

And brake fluid.........( primary and gearbox oil as well whilst at it...)

Also if the Dunlop’s are 17 years old..... bin them too as they will be harder then Bezs cock in a titty bar

The belt... now this is complicated -

Check it for tears, cracks and stones... easy enough rotating the rear wheel whilst looking between pannier and wheel..... then lie on the floor under the pannier and look at the edge of the belt.... you are looking for delamination... if the sandwich of the belt is still intact ... then ignore it and ride it.....

Remembering the horror in Harley circles when the belt was introduced, and the absolute certainly that the belt would fail instantly leading to being stuck by the side of the road and result in a slow and painful death if you rode within 100 yards of a pebble, I'm particularly enjoying watching the Long Way Up with 3 belt-driven Harleys covering thousands of miles on gravel roads.

In fact it’s probably shit - I’ll buy it off you for £3k - save you any hassle

In fact it’s probably shit - I’ll buy it off you for £3k - save you any hassle

Thanks for the help Gents. Making a grand on the deal is tempting but I think I will pass on the £3k for now Thanks :D

Look on you Tube tonnes on there about the tensioners..You have to check them and if you get as far to check them you may as well change them or upgrade to the hydraulic ones. The hardest part for me was taking off the exhaust, if it has not been off before. Also check the inner cam bearings as they are probably not full compliment and can fail too. I did mine last year and this was the first time I had ever attempted anything like this. It is quite straight forward as long as you are methodical and bag all the parts up as it's tank off rocker covers push rods out etc etc. Alex at Fastlaneheadworks is a top bloke and does kits too if you need advice..Also you can join HDRCGB for £26 and they have a tool loan kit for doing this job..And buy a Harley worshop manual too..

Look on you Tube tonnes on there about the tensioners..You have to check them and if you get as far to check them you may as well change them or upgrade to the hydraulic ones. The hardest part for me was taking off the exhaust, if it has not been off before. Also check the inner cam bearings as they are probably not full compliment and can fail too. I did mine last year and this was the first time I had ever attempted anything like this. It is quite straight forward as long as you are methodical and bag all the parts up as it's tank off rocker covers push rods out etc etc. Alex at Fastlaneheadworks is a top bloke and does kits too if you need advice..Also you can join HDRCGB for £26 and they have a tool loan kit for doing this job..And buy a Harley worshop manual too..

Cheers DD. It sounds more involved than I hoped it would be but I will book a wet weekend in January to have a look at it.

Re the belt, a visual inspection but they should last over 50.000. Cam chain tensioners yes check but the inner one can only be inspected with the aid of a dental mirror unless you take it all apart. Don’t assume that the inner one is ok just because the outer is. I replaced mine with cyco tensioners. Including gaskets £120 all in. You can go hydraulic or gear drive conversion if the run out of the crank is 3 thow or less. As has been said join hdrcgb for how to guides and free tool hire. Remember if you change the brake fluid Harley use dot 5 which is completely different to all other brake fluids

Remember if you change the brake fluid Harley use dot 5 which is completely different to all other brake fluids

In addition to not being hydroscopic, the great advantage of DOT 5 is that it won't damage your paintwork when the lid vibrates free on your master cylinder and the fluid splashes all over the bike.

I think I have a spare 2003 manual knocking around somewhere, well used which I could pass on for a small fee....

I think I have a spare 2003 manual knocking around somewhere, well used which I could pass on for a small fee....

Thanks DD, I would appreciate it. I'll get a friend to message you.

I replaced the tensioners on my 2004 RKC with a screamin eagle hydraulic cam plate/tensioner set up and never looked back. When my buddy and I did the the swap at around 30-40k miles (iirc) the tensioners were a little bit worn, but not looking like imminent failure. The switch to the new plate had the added benefit of increasing oil flow, which in the twinkies is always a good deal. That SE plate was perty, too - all orange anodized. Dang shame no one would ever see it again after we put it all back together.

Back
Top Bottom