New bike accessories

Humbucker

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am looking to buy a new GS1250TE Adventure 21 model with my redundancy money after working for my employer for 45 years. I have had my last bike a Honda VFR 750 for the last 21 years.

I will be riding two up most of the time with some long trips next year to Portugal and another round France (As long as covid allows)

Anything that will make the long journeys pleasurable or bike protection.
I will be riding two up most of the time.
Thanks.

Luggage as said above, but consider both soft and hard (Ooer), a decent set of seats and comma so you and your wife can chat on journeys.

Obviously luggage but protection is a must for me. Mudsling, fender extender, headlight guard and radiator protectors. A stone hitting the headlight will cost you about £700, likewise in the rads prob a ruined trip - and the mudguards to prevent corrosion on your new, expensive toy so you can enjoy it long into retirement. I bought cheap Chinese gear off ebay and have found it all to be as good as the named brands, don't shell out unnecessarily, spend your well earned money on more trips. Use it and enjoy it before shelling out on expensive seats, different screen etc as we're all different and different things affect different people. Decent comms is a must in my opinion. Chatting to the Mrs might not be everyone's cup of tea but she stops me getting lost and listening to music is a godsend for me. Good choice of bike by the way imho.

Obviously luggage but protection is a must for me. Mudsling, fender extender, headlight guard and radiator protectors. A stone hitting the headlight will cost you about £700, likewise in the rads prob a ruined trip - and the mudguards to prevent corrosion on your new, expensive toy so you can enjoy it long into retirement. I bought cheap Chinese gear off ebay and have found it all to be as good as the named brands, don't shell out unnecessarily, spend your well earned money on more trips. Use it and enjoy it before shelling out on expensive seats, different screen etc as we're all different and different things affect different people. Decent comms is a must in my opinion. Chatting to the Mrs might not be everyone's cup of tea but she stops me getting lost and listening to music is a godsend for me. Good choice of bike by the way imho.

Everything he said ^^^

Hard luggage, lockable and just plain more practical than soft luggage for the type of riding you'll be doing. Comms for you to chat. Navigation obviously. Mudsling to keep the crud off you, rad guards and cylinder head guards or engine bars. Not much else needed really.

Don't sell the VFR750, would be a good tip:okay:beerjug:

I would like to keep it as it still looks mint as its never seen a winter and very few wet days and is under 25000 miles. Unfortunately there is no room in the garage for two bikes, and with the amount of money i am spending I need to be riding the the new steed.

Cheers for all the reply's.
Have the coms already Scada Pack talk bold.
Decided on the top box Givi Trekker 58Ltr, have not decided on the panniers yet. Are any better for the passenger like getting on and off the bike or do any dig into the passengers legs.
Seats wise I think its quite comfy as we test rode one for 5hrs and all good, no leg ache or bum ache :)
Will get the mudguard extender, What about the rear? any recommendations or is it ok.
Headlight guard is on my list to buy
Radiator protectors, which ones are people using?
Satnav I use my phone in a Ultimateaddons case mounted on the steering stem on my VFR. The BMW will come with satnav prep so do I buy the BMW one or get an adapter to mount my phone in place of the BMW sat nav.

Thanks again for the input.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Touratech website or catalogue yet.

Evotech rad guards. metal, fit lovely, great quality

To the OP,

If you're comfortable and successful using the phone. then don't bother to retrain to use the BMW Navigators.

There are those of us who have been using standalone Navigators for many years (before phones became so powerful and flexible), who are still wedded to them.

I would like to keep it as it still looks mint as its never seen a winter and very few wet days and is under 25000 miles. Unfortunately there is no room in the garage for two bikes, and with the amount of money i am spending I need to be riding the the new steed.

Your VFR sounds good, definitely worth advertising it on here when you sell it.

You've obviously be pleased with the VFR 750, Why not get a Honda Crossrunner it's the same V4 engine, very reliable. in a chassis that's designed for touring and mild off roading, comfy big seat for pillion

Hi if you're in Lancashire I saw a cracker at Millenium Motorcycles, St Helens, (its on ebay) and seems to come with a sat nav according to advert, engine bars spots etc.

Only thing I'm not sure on, having never ridden the adventure model, (only the GS) is the large tank, it makes the bike huge, and the fact that the racking system would again appear to require non vario cases.

Apart from that they look a stunning bike. I'm sure the guys that ride that model on here will provide great advice.

Good luck with your purchase and future trips.

regards Alistair

Hi if you're in Lancashire I saw a cracker at Millenium Motorcycles, St Helens, (its on ebay) and seems to come with a sat nav according to advert, engine bars spots etc.

Only thing I'm not sure on, having never ridden the adventure model, (only the GS) is the large tank, it makes the bike huge, and the fact that the racking system would again appear to require non vario cases.

Apart from that they look a stunning bike. I'm sure the guys that ride that model on here will provide great advice.

Good luck with your purchase and future trips.

regards Alistair

Looking at a new one. Big retirement treat. 6 more weeks of work to go.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom