New Version. Lost Routes.

ballistic

I ain't got no stinkin' visa!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After years of using MapSource, and becoming more and more frustrated with its limitations, I decided that it’s time to switch to BaseCamp. I downloaded and installed v4.7.2 and began the steep learning curve by planning a 12-day route to Athens, which has taken me the best part of a week, on and off.
Today, I fired up BaseCamp and was informed that there was an upgrade available, so I ran the link and upgraded to v4.7.3. The upshot of this is that my Athens route, and all its associated data, have totally disappeared. The only items appearing in the Library are blank My Collection and Unlisted Data folders.
“Good job I backed up my previous version of BaseCamp, with the Athens route and all its associated data”, I thought! I’ll just hit File/Restore, select the backup, and all will be well. But its not.. it doesn’t seem to have made any difference!
Am I doing something wrong?
Any suggestions?

I use a Mac but I can’t think I have ever lost data following an update of the BaseCamp software or a map upgrade. No help to you, I admit.

1. re install old version of basecamp and restore your backup to that. any luck?
2. Transfer routes to device as a safe keep?
3. Reinstall old version, import/restore
4. Export routes as a gpx file to a hard drive
5. install new version of BC and then import the routes?

1. re install old version of basecamp and restore your backup to that. any luck?
2. Transfer routes to device as a safe keep?
3. Reinstall old version, import/restore
4. Export routes as a gpx file to a hard drive
5. install new version of BC and then import the routes?

Thanks for the suggestions :thumb2
Unfortunately, I can't reinstall BaseCamp 4.7.2 as I can't find the BaseCamp 472.exe file, I must have deleted it on one of my 'tidying up' sessions.
If you, or anyone else has a (PC, Windows 10) copy, I'd be happy to PM my email address and receive it that way.. then try out your suggestion.
Thanks again.

Okay, I've deleted the latest version of BaseCamp (4.7.3) and installed the previous version (4.7.2), the one on which I did my Athens route and then saved a backup (BaseCamp 2020-10-26.backup) on an external drive.
It doesn't have the Athens route, or any of the waypoints etc.
When I try to restore the backup, it appears to load/process the file, but nothing has changed.. it's still blank!

Looks like I'll have to start the route from scratch.. and be very afraid of the next 'update' :eek:

My only thought, again of no help, was that the Athens route was maybe not saved in the first place, before the software update.

My only thought, again of no help, was that the Athens route was maybe not saved in the first place, before the software update.

Thanks for your thoughts, but this shows that the backup file was saved on my external drive (F:) at 23:46 on Monday.
I didn't 'update' the BaseCamp software until yesterday (Tuesday).

I don't mind doing the routes again, as I've learned a few more ways of doing things, but it's future backups I'm worried about.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 140
I never looked at how it works on PC, but on Mac all the data is kept in separate files within a single folder in the user Library. You can manually replace the files and Basecamp will read those.

Have you tried sifting through the files in your backup?

I leave my basecamp library in Dropbox, so I can share it but also as keeps the routes safe from any Garmin vagaries. Any precious tracks I also store in a separate folder Ron my Mac, as well, after once losing some well researched and not replaceable Morocco off routes. No help to you now, though.

You could also they looking here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Garmin\BaseCamp

or, a search of your hard drive for *gdb and *.backup

I must say, if I've ever restored a backup, all the routes have been there

I agree with Berin, right up until the moment I lost my old Dropbox account.

I now back them up to an external drive and to Dropbox.

Again, no help to the OP as the horse has galloped off.

I keep it on Dropbox, but because this way I can share the same exact libraries on two different computers.
But that’s for another time :)

Ballistic, this may be a red herring but worth a look. Open Basecamp, go to Edit, Options, General and have a look at the Database Options. You may find you have more than one database, and you're currently looking at an empty one. As others have said, it does seem odd because your backup contains data. You can have multiple databases though and I think that each database has its own backup.

Ballistic, this may be a red herring but worth a look. Open Basecamp, go to Edit, Options, General and have a look at the Database Options. You may find you have more than one database, and you're currently looking at an empty one. As others have said, it does seem odd because your backup contains data. You can have multiple databases though and I think that each database has its own backup.

Thanks for the suggestion Tomcat, but I tried that and the only database listed is Default.
I've now given up trying to rescue my original route, and am plotting new ones... got as far as Sarajevo today :tarka

The sun rises in the east, sets in the west ... 'tis all you need to know buddy :D

Now SAFIOI (Slap A Fuck It On It) and go :thumb

:beerjug:

Don’t forget:

A. Save the route in BaseCamp and somewhere else as you go along. I say this as it it is still far from clear how or why you lost the route following a BaseCamp update.

B. Don’t create it as one single huge, multiple day route of vast numbers of miles. Not least as your device will not be able to run it. Break it up into bite sized separate chunks, preferable no more than one day’s ride long each.

C. SAFIOI is good advice.

Don’t forget:

A. Save the route in BaseCamp and somewhere else as you go along. I say this as it it is still far from clear how or why you lost the route following a BaseCamp update.

B. Don’t create it as one single huge, multiple day route of vast numbers of miles. Not least as your device will not be able to run it. Break it up into bite sized separate chunks, preferable no more than one day’s ride long each.

C. SAFIOI is good advice.

A. Route will be saved on laptop, memory stick and in GPS.
B. Total route comprises 12 separate 1-day routes.
C. SAFIOI will be employed on the ride home :thumb

COVID permitting, there should be a passenger/vehicle ferry from Peiraeus to Cyprus beginning about May/June next year... a month chilling in Cyprus is the objective :tarka:ChrisKelly:coold:sleep:tarka:101:fnikefork:sleep:tarka:ChrisKelly:guitarist:sleep

Back
Top Bottom